PDA

View Full Version : Newb from the southwest

Cake
February 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Greetings and salutations,

New to the mountains:thumb:, new to the jeep:wrench:, and new to marriage:confused:. Whew...

The wifey and I moved to the 4 Corners area- right outside of Durango- little over a year ago, and I picked up an XJ fall of last year. For the record, the jeep came before the marriage.

Anyway, I drive a company car during the week, and she needed something other than my old 2wd chevy pickup to get to work, so I got the jeep with the intention of it being her DD, and my weekend toy. Lets see how that pans out...

I put a 3" RC lift, new leaf pack since the old ones were inverted, and 31's. The other stuff hasn't been that exciting, but I figured I should get it out of the way. Upgraded headlights, harness, what do you call it, steering box frame brace?, put a hitch on for a rear recovery point, homemade disconnects, some exhaust work, which i'm not too sure i'm happy about...

Upcoming plans: I have longer brake lines to put on, spacers for upfront to get rid of the rake, and I'll be ordering a SYE once my taxes deposit(tis the season!). I'm pretty hesitant about chopping my output shaft though, as easy as everyone says it is, I typically have terrible luck. Murphy read the book, I wrote it. I'm also keeping an eye out for an adjst track bar and rock sliders and a 31" spare. Need to take care of front recovery points before wheeling season begins too... Kinda tough to work on my rig where we live. Driveway is rocky and dirty and full of pointy things, and its all incline. Plus I only have weekends to do the work, and typically we're going places and doing stuff. I mountain bike, ski, and we're totally into paddle trips.

Anyway, I'm not into trashing the rig- more of an expo guy. I'd rather spend a few hours going somewhere far off the beaten path and setting up camp with the better half, the dog, and the beer, than spend a few hours crawling around on a few rocks with nothing so show for it except body damage and a few hundred yards of distance.

So hopefully I can get down on some trips with y'all. I didn't notice many people from around my neck of the woods, but I've got my eye on some trails in the Sangre De Cristos this summer. I'd also like to check the Alpine Loop and Black Bear pass of my list. We're about a 3hr drive from Moab, so I'm always up for that, except during the summer.. you'll find us on the water instead of the dirt out there then. Too ffffing hot.... which reminds me.. I need to order hood vents as well..

Photos are basically from our backyard, a couple miles from where we live.

mattzj98
February 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Welcome! nice jeep!

Rick
February 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome to FR4x4. My Nephew is going to school down there to be a river guide. love it down there

Funrover
February 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome! Nice rig!

RockyMtnHigh
February 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Welcome!

Aaron
February 10th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome! Take a look at the Moab trip we have planned in April. Also the Anniversary run is a big one but may be a jaunt for you.

Jackie
February 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Welcome! You should probably fill in your profile with your real name or the folks here will never stop calling you "Cake" (or a few other assorted names that will undoutably come to mind)!

And think about joining us in Moab the second week in April. You'll see the thread under the trail runs tab. Look forward to meeting you!

Bunyon & Babe
February 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM
WELCOME . Nice Jeep and a nice area where you live !!!!

Java
February 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Welcome!! X10 on coming along to Moab in April!!

MelloYello
February 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Welcome to FR4x4!

Heather
February 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Welcome, and nice rig! Cake, as in the music, per chance?

Michael4rnr
February 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Welcome. Nice jeep.

ColoJeeper
February 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome...

Mporter
February 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
welcome

Popsgarage
February 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'll be ordering a SYE once my taxes deposit(tis the season!). I'm pretty hesitant about chopping my output shaft though, as easy as everyone says it is, I typically have terrible luck

Don't do a hack and tap. Just order the JB Conversions SYE. For the money you can't beat it. It comes with a brand new output shaft and no core deposit!!! Oh, by the way, Howdy, Aloha and welcome to the Front Range. Here's that link.

http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php

sdhill
February 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Welcome! What made you want to move to Durango? I lived there for 5 years.... If I found another good job I would be back in a heart beat.

Rob
February 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
New to the mountains, new to the jeep, and new to marriage.

Well, I'd say you have your hands full, then. :) Welcome to the group.

Alpine Spirit
February 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Howdy

Brody
February 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the forum! Nice area you live in!

On the SYE: Call Bill at Bill's Englewood Drive Shaft in Englewood. He makes a custom yoke/drive shaft that eliminates the need for an SYE and is cheaper and less labor intensive.

The steering box frame brace is a bolt on so Murphy doesn't have all that much to say....

PM me for a few more suggestions. May save you some grief....

glacierpaul
February 11th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Welcome and nice Jeep!

Cr33p3r
February 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the group!

Hypoid
February 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome aboard!

Anyway, I'm not into trashing the rig- Me too! Those XJs seem to go a lot of places, with very few mods. :)

jesse05lj
February 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Welcome to FR

Cake
February 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! I'm totally checking those runs out, hopefully I'll figure my calender out within a week or 2 and figure something out for sure

Don't do a hack and tap. Just order the JB Conversions SYE. For the money you can't beat it. It comes with a brand new output shaft and no core deposit!!! Oh, by the way, Howdy, Aloha and welcome to the Front Range. Here's that link.

http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php

I hear about a lot of back and forth on hack n tap/new shaft. I lot of the guys on the jeep forums seem to think a HnT is fine if you're not doing any major wheeling.... I felt like I belonged to that group. The other pro to a HnT, is that it seems easier done than a full blown replacement- something that I could do instead of paying somebody $400 to do it....

Welcome! What made you want to move to Durango? I lived there for 5 years.... If I found another good job I would be back in a heart beat.

I was relocated out here by my(at the time new) job. They relocated me from Maryland, which is where I'm from, but I spent the last 7-8 years in Florida before that. I get around

Welcome to the forum! Nice area you live in!

On the SYE: Call Bill at Bill's Englewood Drive Shaft in Englewood. He makes a custom yoke/drive shaft that eliminates the need for an SYE and is cheaper and less labor intensive.

The steering box frame brace is a bolt on so Murphy doesn't have all that much to say....

PM me for a few more suggestions. May save you some grief....

That sounds interesting, I haven't heard of that route before, and I'll totally look into it, although it still sounds like Id have to swap out the output shaft, which I hear requires certain tools, precision and patience. I usually forgo those 3 things, and pull out the angle grinder.

Believe it or not, the steering box brace was a nightmare. I sheared one of the 3 bolt heads off, broke an easy out off in the rest of the bolt, and cross-threaded one of the other holes in the box. I wasn't kidding when I said i had bad luck. I traded some local oil field mechanics beer to torch out the bolt and retap the box for me- I was over it. Nothing is ever just "bolt-on" for me....

Popsgarage
February 12th, 2012, 09:03 PM
something that I could do instead of paying somebody $400 to do it....

It is. And if they charge you that much, they ought to be shot. It takes about 6 hours total to pull the case, take it apart, install the new parts, put it back together, and put it back under the Jeep. Or do what Pete suggested. Only non standard tool you need is a flat snap ring pliers.

Cake
February 16th, 2012, 09:49 AM
looks like I'll be getting a new driveshaft from bill's in lieu of a SYE. Its a little more $$ than I wanted to spend, but its also completely bolt in. Take the old driveshaft out, put his new, beefier one in, dont have to mess with the t-case. I'll pay extra for the convenience and ease of installation, on top of having a new, beefier driveshaft instead of a new one. COMON TAXES!!!

Fordguy77
February 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Welcome

pictaker
February 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome!

Roostercruiser
February 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
Welcome