PDA

View Full Version : New trail companion

trailfiend
February 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Today, I adopted Millie here from DDFL. She's about 14 months old, lab/border collie mix, balls of energy and fun, and now is passed out with her toy on my bed. She loved riding home in the Jeep, and she's definitely going to be joining me whenever I go to the mountains! She looks forward to meeting all ya'll on the next trail run; as do I.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J8DEe4yduGI/TzXwoeOuFeI/AAAAAAAAXxU/0pumSf76D0E/s640/IMGP1814.JPG

trailfiend
February 10th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'm down! She needs a good lot of training before I let her play much off leash, but I'm guessing that within the next 2-4 weeks she'll get a lot of improvement.

Rob
February 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Looks like sweet pup. :thumb:

Popsgarage
February 10th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Your first child???:D

RockyMtnHigh
February 11th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Good looking dog!

trailfiend
February 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
@Sunshine, that's great! I've got a close friend who formerly worked with PetsMart as a trainer, and when they cut her hours from f/t to about 12 a week - she opened up her own training/daycare facility in West Denver by Casa Bonita called Unchain the Game. She's going to be helping me train Millie a lot, so I'll ask her if she'd offer some kind of deal for FR4x4 members :)

@Jon, yup, first for me, umpteenth for my family -- we've had 2 pure-breed labs since I've been around, and have had 2 small dogs for a few years now. I'm excited to have a full-sized dog that can I can actually run with, and she'll make a great trail dog. I'll get more pictures once she starts getting into training more.

Funrover
February 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Awesome trail buddy!

Heather
February 11th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Congrats! What an adorable girl!!!

Michael4rnr
February 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Congrats, will be a fun trail friend.

96blkbeauty
February 12th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Congrats looks like a great dog

Java
February 12th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Beautiful dog!! Awesome that you went to the DDFL too!! :thumb:

trailfiend
February 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
They were great, I'm glad I was the one to adopt her, she's quite rambunctious and energetic - the last adopter returned her because she bit him and drew blood while playing, she also snaps her jaws while playing/trying to get attention, which I guess can be seen as agressive behavior. She was there for about a month - I've got the patience and ability to train her and work with her energy and not get deterred by a little nipping while playing, or extra energy.

She's been great, she's settled down since Friday night, having gotten to know the house better. Now I just have to slowly get her and the cat acquainted! I did discover the wonders of an elk antler for her entertainment yesterday, she spent about 3 or 4 hours on and off going at the marrow, just happy as can be, then passed out on the bed. I'm stoked, and she's all outfitted with Ruffwear gear after yesterday courtesy of my mom for my bday.

Pathrat
February 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Nice looking dog. My old dog nipped me playing once, and I bear some of the responsibility for getting her wound up. If you know your dog, you can see when he or she is getting too excitable and will soon forget to not nip.

Cake
February 12th, 2012, 10:38 PM
We've got a 17 month old lab/border collie guy. Great dog and total ham, hopefully they can meet this summer!

trailfiend
February 13th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Yeah I figured out pretty quickly what kind of play gets her fairly nip-happy, and also just being cautious about how I try to get toys from her mouth is helpful as well. The occasional time she does grab a sleeve or nibble my arm, I'm quick to put a hold on whatever game is going on - so far it's always a soft bite though, just staying on top of it. She's been good with kids though :) And just wants to play with our other dogs who don't really share the same sentiment so far.

Hey Cake, welcome to FR!