PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Zj 4.0 gas gauge help

ZJ303
February 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Im tryin to Figure out if there's any way to fix it so that the gas gauge reads actually how much gas is in thetank. Do you use floaters or is it something else that needs to be fixed?

ZJ303
February 13th, 2012, 09:27 PM
its on a stock jeep and from what i understand its been like this for years. it will read the gas somtimes but it floats up and down and when it gets below half it will go between empty and half

Brad
February 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Sounds like your level sensor is compromised. It is either the float or a bad electrical connection between the cluster and tank.

ZJ303
February 13th, 2012, 09:40 PM
is it as simple as changing the float and checking the connection or is it involving the fuel pump and such?

mattzj98
February 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM
It's your electronic sending unit on the fuel pump assembly which is on top of your gas tank. ask me how I know.

replace the whole pump. it is most likely time for it.

Popsgarage
February 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'll have to believe Matt on this one. Never had to deal with the sending unit on a ZJ.

ZJ303
February 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Ya your prolly right matt

Brody
February 14th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Sounds like the sending unit, just like Matt said. More of a PITA problem than anything really difficult.

I replaced the one on the Grand Cherokee I have for the DD a couple of years ago...of course the tank was full....need you ask? I took a spare electric fuel pump (cheap...$12) and some hose and just filled a bunch of 5 gallon containers. I dropped the tank, took a brush to the lid around the cap, hosed it down with PB Blaster, tapped it off and replaced the unit...