PDA

View Full Version : Running...2012 Denver Rock N Roll Half Marathon?

Heather
February 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone planning on running this? September 22, 2012: http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/denver

Heather
February 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Because it's fun, smartass.

Mr6dwg
February 20th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I might be helping somebody move that weekend.

Pathrat
February 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Why run that far if no one is chasing you?

I know, right? Especially if you own a knife or a gun. Hell with that.

Pathrat
February 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM
You have a twisted sense of "fun"!

I know Some people think that burning legs and being on the verge of vomiting your Powerade while creating multiple potential stress fractures in a variety of foot bones is fun. You don't?

(sorry Heather, I love ya but I am so with Chris on this one!)

Heather
February 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM
:lmao:

C'mon, people! Someone has got to enjoy running, as opposed to fleeing?

Max
February 20th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I agree. Survival skills and fitness are stupid. Why swim if you're not drowning? :speechless:

mattzj98
February 21st, 2012, 05:35 AM
Bought a car so I wouldn't have to run =P

Unless I'm chasing someone down

glacierpaul
February 21st, 2012, 06:28 AM
I know Some people think that burning legs and being on the verge of vomiting your Powerade while creating multiple potential stress fractures in a variety of foot bones is fun. You don't?

(sorry Heather, I love ya but I am so with Chris on this one!) Not to mention the knees and ankles.

Fatboris
February 21st, 2012, 06:32 AM
The wife does this and a bunch of other ones every year. She's all fired up about the Tough Mudder. Good thing is, I think she exercises enough for the both of us.

Java
February 21st, 2012, 06:41 AM
You could pretent a giant angioplasty is chasing you. Good for you, Heather!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Funrover
February 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM
LOL... This thread wins! I am glad for those who enjoy the run.... but there better be something fantastic at the end if I am not being chased. LOL

Chris
February 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Do they need help...otherwise I might sucked into this!

That's my birthday so everyone looking for an "out" is officially invited to celebrate with me instead! :D

Chris
February 21st, 2012, 03:36 PM
I say we wheel as exercise while they run! :thumb:

Michael4rnr
February 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
I like running on trails and dirt. I thought about doing the tough mudder but ive seen the reace its extremely challaging. But running is fun when its off road and there are obsticals to over come.

Funrover
February 21st, 2012, 04:39 PM
I like running on trails and dirt. I thought about doing the tough mudder but ive seen the reace its extremely challaging. But running is fun when its off road and there are obsticals to over come.

I have thought about the muddy buddy and competeing with my wife. It seems like a fun one to try. more than just running.

Heather
February 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I say we wheel as exercise while they run!
Oh no no no no no no, not fair!!

Pathrat
February 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM
LOL... This thread wins! I am glad for those who enjoy the run.... but there better be something fantastic at the end if I am not being chased. LOL

Funrover for the win!!!! :lmao:

Squshiee1
February 21st, 2012, 08:46 PM
i can run for hours playing tag, football, airsoft, soccer, and just about any thing, but if there is one thing i cant stand its just plain ol running, i hate the mile and i even hate running the 2 laps around the gym. its not hard its just boring!

Kory
February 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eblai2gis1c

Heather
February 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM

Rick
February 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::thumb::thumb::lmao:

mushroomax
February 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
If I'm around I might be down, half marathons are fun compared to the full deal. I see they even have the 2 person relay thing...

Heather
February 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
FINALLY. Someone who possibly appreciates the run. :lmao:

Chris
February 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm insulted! There's a big difference between appreciating and participating!

I appreciate someone being able to dig a 10 foot deep hole with a teaspoon, doesn't mean I would participate! :D

Heather
February 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
I'm insulted! There's a big difference between appreciating and participating!

Touche!

I appreciate someone being able to dig a 10 foot deep hole with a teaspoon, doesn't mean I would participate!

Captain
February 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM
My wife did this one last year but I don't think she's doing it this year. She is planning on NINE half marathons this year (just did the Ralston Creek 1/2 in Arvada a couple weeks ago). And for the record, yes, she is crazy. The only one that makes sense to me at all is the Georgetown to Idaho Springs one, it's all downhill...

Max
February 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I think running is excellent exercise, and is great fun once you get into it. People that don't like running are usually just lousy at running from being overweight, and/or lazy, and/or quitters.

I agree with Michael that trail running is pretty fun too. Mathews Winters park is close to Denver. I used to run it every now and then when I lived there.

Also there is the Highline Canal if you like flat stuff. THAT is a great training area. Check it out.

Chris
February 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM
People that don't like running are usually just lousy at running from being overweight, and/or lazy, and/or quitters.

As Funrover would say "Hey, I resemble that comment!"

One other reason is some of us have compromised cardio-vascular and skeletal systems and won't do this stuff choosing to wake up the following day. :eek:

Max
February 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
As Funrover would say "Hey, I resemble that comment!"

One other reason is some of us have compromised cardio-vascular and skeletal systems and won't do this stuff choosing to wake up the following day. :eek:

Funrover doesn't count, he is out on his bike all the time getting after it. He doesn't however, get the benefits of increased bone strength that impact exercise offers.

If you don't run because you're busy training to be an Olympic weightlifter...

Regarding health issues, I'm going to have to see a doctor's note before I can excuse anyone from this lecture. :)

Max
February 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm definitely all of those...an overweight, lazy quitter!

I just don't run unless I have to. It's not that I can't, I just don't. I could go run 3 or 4 miles with no problem, but WHY? If that makes me lazy, then at least I'm good at it! :D

I would guess that you hate running because you were/are in the military and they forced you. Haha.

Chris
February 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I'm going to have to see a doctor's note before I can excuse anyone from this lecture. :)

:lmao: I have a reputation to uphold - the reputation is for walking (not running) out of lectures.

Funrover
February 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Funrover doesn't count, he is out on his bike all the time getting after it. He doesn't however, get the benefits of increased bone strength that impact exercise offers.

If you don't run because you're busy training to be an Olympic weightlifter...

Regarding health issues, I'm going to have to see a doctor's note before I can excuse anyone from this lecture. :)

WOO HOO!!!! I am excused! LOL :lmao: And depending on the day the impact is still there...trust me hahahha

Max
February 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=running+impact+bones

Java
February 24th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Walking slightly above your natural gait gives you 90% of the benefits of running without any of the negatives, it just takes longer to do the mileage. I primarily hike and lift weights, i think it's fun so I'm always motivated, my wife is the same way. I saw a thing about the "Blue Zones" where people live to over 100 all the time, and the reasearcher commented that "there are no marathon runners in these groups, no extreme athletes or body builders." They all, without exception, have either a regular exercise routine that involved resistance and aerobics, like the 7th Day Adventists, or a lifestyle that required physical activity like the Okinawans. They were all almost-vegetarians, like 90% plant based.. an oddity that they can't explain is that all of the groups regularly eat a small amount of pork. one theory is that it has a benefit on arterial repair due to similarities inour DNA that I didn't understand. On Okinawa this is the first generation that has fast food and cars and the life span has dropped something ridiculous like 15 years. He also said that a huge benefit of exercise on longevity is the state of mind that is called the "runner's high", or for body builders the "mind muscle connection" or being in "the zone", yoga people have a lot of phrases for it... almost every form of exercise can get you there, it doesn't have to be extreme, and it gives health benefits akin to mediation. Buddhists say that humans are in a state of perfection when we are completely enveloped in a single process, not when we achieve the goal, and some people think that the "runner's high" and the singularity are the same thing. I agree, and whatever form of exercise grabs you, makes you want to do it and gets you to that zone is the best form for your life. In my opinion.

Heather
March 3rd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Here's another one (NOT a half marathon, only 5K): http://runforyourlives.com/denver/ ETA: And, they need zombie volunteers: http://runforyourlives.com/zombies-denver/