PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Trail Patrol - Wheel in CO? You can help

Stay The Trail Ambassadors
February 23rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone. This got a great reception when I introduced myself, but info on the program belongs over here in this section too.

EDIT: Our name has recently changed! Our scope has also expanded. Check out our post on the next page for more info or head to our new website (StayTheTrailAmbassadors.org (http://staythetrailambassadors.org))

Very basic rundown: Our goal is to preserve OHV trails around Colorado by assisting the Forest Service and BLM better manage and maintain them. It may be a surprise, but many of the ranger districts and field offices do not have the capacity to have current, up to date info on conditions and issues. WE, the OHV enthusiast, are already out riding those trails.

The Colorado Trail Patrol equips volunteers with the ability to be eyes on the ground. The first step in better management is better understanding of the situations. To accomplish this, we have created an easy to use online database where volunteers can log their reports. After that, you don't need to do anything. We take care of the communication and problem solving with the Trail Coordinators and Recreation Managers with the agency. No more unanswered phone calls and emails.

To become a volunteer, we need you to attend one of our hour-long training sessions. After that, you are set.
What we are finding is that 75% of the reports coming back are that the conditions are good and that the reporter didn't see any issues. This type of information is GREAT for the OHV community as it is empirical data that hasn't been collected in one place before and it shows that most of the people on the trails are respectful and responsible.

Upcoming Sessions (will be updating):
Trainings will be online through an easy to use webinar system. The upcoming schedule is on the Calendar (http://staythetrailambassadors.org/calender) of our new site.
Current volunteers are encouraged to keep reporting what you see on the trails. We are building off the momentum and assistance this service is providing for the Forest Service and BLM.

Direct your questions to Matt@Staythetrail.org or post up and we will answer.

gm4x4lover
February 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hey Matt hows it going? I should be able to make to the march training at the firestation.

February 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Everything is going very well! Just found out that Stay the Trail and Colorado Trail Patrol are going to be guests on 9 News here in Denver Monday morning. Getting more details soon.
Will be great to see you down there. FJ Cruiser Magazine will be at the Springs training taking photos for an upcoming article on the program.

ccbruin
February 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I will try and make the library one!

Brody
February 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
You may want to tie in some compiled information as to the trails that are adopted and just who adopted them.More fuel for the fire....

Java
February 23rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Looks cool, but I can't make any of those sessions. If you get something going in Denver I'd be into it. Maybe you can take a video of one of the trainings and we can learn it online?

Rick
February 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
interested if more Denver metro dates become available:thumb::thumb:

February 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I am definitely trying to get the approval to do web seminar type training, I know that it would be easier for many folks. Until we get that approved by the agencies and change our Memorandum of Understanding, we are going to have to stick with the in-person sessions. Spent a good part of today lining up some more times for March/April. Will hopefully have them finalized tomorrow.

Always open to suggestions on how we can engage and get you involved.

March 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Big list of upcoming dates/locations:

March 10 – 10:30 am. Southglenn Library, Centennial. 6972 South Vine Street, Centennial, CO
March 27 – 6:30 pm. Gander Mountain, Thornton. 9923 Grant Street, Thornton, 80229.
March 29 - 6:30pm. Firestation #8. 3737 Airport Rd. Colorado Springs, CO.
March 31 – 6:30pm. Battlement Fab. 2513 Weslo Avenue, Grand Junction, CO 81505
April 4 – 7:00pm. Big Thompson 4x4 Meeting. Loveland IHOP. 5450 Stone Creek Circle. Loveland, CO
April 21 – 4:30pm. Southglenn Library, Centennial. 6972 South Vine Street, Centennial, CO
April 26 – 6:30pm. Firestation #8. 3737 Airport Rd. Colorado Springs, CO.

Rick
March 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
gonna try for the loveland one. Daughters in Greeley so maybe get to see her too.

Pathrat
March 6th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Thank you, please keep posting the training sessions. Many of us are quite observant and would like to have someone to forward those observations to.

Java
March 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM
March 27 – 6:30 pm. Gander Mountain, Thornton. 9923 Grant Street, Thornton, 80229.

Can't say yet, but I may make this one.

March 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone in South Denver, tomorrow AM (Saturday the 10th) we will be at the Southglen Library. Come by and spend an hour and sign up.
After that, CTP and Stay The Trail will be at the 4 Wheel Parts Open House at the Denver/Commerce City store.

Talus
March 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
gonna try for the loveland one.

I will mark my calendar for this one also.

Rick
March 9th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I will mark my calendar for this one also.
c ya there

xaza
March 16th, 2012, 11:56 AM
this sounds great! I will try to attend one of the meetings and attempt to drag my brother along too.

March 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Bump for the Thornton training tomorrow night. Last Denver area one for over a month. Please make an effort to make this if you are interested in helping. We are all going to be getting on the trails in all this nice weather.

Brad
March 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I am planning on attending Matt.

Brad
March 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Great training Matt!

Everyone in this club should be a part of this. It really does not take much time and counts towards our volunteer hours. :thumb:

Rick
April 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
April 4 – 7:00pm. Big Thompson 4x4 Meeting. Loveland IHOP. 5450 Stone Creek Circle. Loveland, CO
anyone else going to this one???? son has LAX game at 4 then hopefully haul a-- up there right after

Jim
April 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM
It's on my cal for tonight, so yes!

Rick
April 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
most likely see you there

Rick
April 4th, 2012, 10:43 PM
not a bad class. met a few guys from Big Thompson 4x4. Not sure why this cant be done over the internet though????? Oh well, I'm official,thats all that matters

Freakage
April 4th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Will try to make the April 21st class. With a little help of the crazy thing called... life!

Jim
April 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM
:scratching head: Where were you at the meeting?

My take on why it isn't done over the Internet - the physical signature on the release form.

Rick
April 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM
the physical signature on the release form.
E signature

Rick
April 5th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Where were you at the meeting?
He was sitting in the middle, kinda tall guy,gotee

Jim
April 6th, 2012, 12:04 AM
E signature

Have you dealt with them, in the real world?

I went to an e-signature seminar, put on by a law firm, perhaps ten years back. So far, that has been the only interaction with the process that I can recall.

Granted, the trail group could say, via online training, here are the rules and processes. If you submit a report via our system you are bound by the rules (the submission becomes your signature). My take from their seminar was the legal liability stance they put forth.

He was sitting in the middle, kinda tall guy,gotee

Walking in, I was far right at the end of the line of tables.

Brody
April 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM
My take on why it isn't done over the Internet - the physical signature on the release form.

If I am not mistaken, ever since Clinton, E signatures are legal signatures. LaDawn uses them all the time on legal forms over the internet and has for years.

April 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I am working on developing a way for us to do a online meeting. The ability to easily create reports and submit digital photos is one of the huge benefits modern technology affords us, we should be utilizing the same modern ability to allow folks to receive our training without needing to leave their house.

Big thanks to everyone who attended the last few sessions! Please don't forget to take a few minutes and submit those logs of where you went. Every piece of info helps us create a better management procedures.

April 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM
More upcoming training sessions for those who haven't made it yet:

April 21 – 4:30pm. Southglenn Library, Centennial. 6972 South Vine Street, Centennial, CO
April 26 – 6:30pm. Firestation #8. 3737 Airport Rd. Colorado Springs, CO.
May 10 – 6:30pm. Castlewood Library. 6739 South Uinta Street Centennial, CO 80112
May 15 – 6:30pm. Loveland Library. 300 North Adams Ave. Loveland, CO.
May 22 – 6:30pm. Firestation #8. 3737 Airport Rd. Colorado Springs, CO.

sdhill
April 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I'm going to try to make this one. May 10 – 6:30pm. Castlewood Library. 6739 South Uinta Street Centennial, CO 80112
It's like a mile away from my office.

Heather
May 1st, 2012, 07:40 AM
We're going to try to make that one, too.

May 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Fantastic! Looking forward to meeting ya'll. Bring friends!

sdhill
May 10th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Planning on being there tonight!

glacierpaul
May 10th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Damnit, whole family is sick, cannot make this one either, ARRRGH!

Brad
May 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM
You should have a class in Idaho springs Matt. We have a few members up in Alice, dumont and empire. Since they live up there it would be a good resource for the close by trails along I-70. I know Paul is always running around the Yankee hill area.

May 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Upcoming trainings for the Colorado Trail Patrol are being postponed. The program is expanding at the request of State Parks to better serve the OHV community and land management agencies. Please stay tuned while for more details.

Currently trained CTP volunteers are encouraged to continue logging their trail reports and observations. The program is not being disbanded, but simply growing.

Rick
May 11th, 2012, 02:56 PM
:erm::erm::erm::erm::erm:

June 21st, 2012, 11:30 PM
New Name, New Look, Same Goal

The Colorado Trail Patrol is now Stay The Trail Ambassadors
The Responsible Recreation Foundation is proud to announce the expansion of the Colorado Trail Patrol. The OHV trail-monitoring program will have a larger scope, a new name to match its increased objectives, and a new website found at StayTheTrailAmbassadors.org (http://www.staythetrailambassadors.org/)

The Colorado Trail Patrol will now be known as the Stay The Trail Ambassadors.
https://d2q0qd5iz04n9u.cloudfront.net/_ssl/proxy.php/http/gallery.mailchimp.com/21afcaf626da8dd353a2d00fa/images/STT_Ambassadors_Logo.jpg (http://www.staythetrailambassadors.org/)
This new name reflects the close relationship this program will have with the Stay The Trail educational campaign. Over the years, Stay The Trail has united the Colorado OHV community behind the ethics of responsible trail use. Now, those dedicated enthusiasts will have the opportunity to participate in sharing that ethic with other trail users and a calendar of trail events they can assist with.

Stay The Trail Ambassadors are encouraged to Ride, Educate, Monitor, and Maintain.Ride
Our volunteers are encouraged to keep doing what they love, enjoying Colorado’s extensive OHV trails. Colorado’s OHV community’s intense enthusiasm is what drives this program.

Educate
Being role-models while they are out on the trails is the best way to reinforce responsible trail ethics with other enthusiasts. Volunteers are prepared and encouraged to speak with other enthusiast’s they meet on the trail regarding responsible OHV use. Peer-to-peer reinforcement is crucial in cultivating a statewide culture of stewardship. Stay The Trail educational material (http://staythetrail.org/media/index.php)will be provided for volunteers to carry with them. When you meet someone on the trail or trail-head, it is always a teachable moment.

Monitor
Trail conditions change on a weekly basis. Volunteers have access to an online reporting system where they can upload photos and GPS waypoints of maintenance and signage issues. Active monitoring quickly alerts land managers to issues in an effort to prevent an issue from becoming something larger that can jeopardize a trail’s sustainability.

Maintain
Join other enthusiasts as we assist land management agencies perform needed maintenance projects. Our calendar (http://staythetrailambassadors.org/calendar/) will be a hub of information concerning all types of OHV trail projects that need more manpower. Stay The Trail staff will also be organizing unique trail clean-up events and responding to situations that need immediate assistance.

What About Current CTP Volunteers?
The Ambassador program will be built off of the existing support OHV enthusiasts have shown for the Colorado Trail Patrol. Without your help, we wouldn't be undergoing this expansion.

These changes will not stop the work that current CTP volunteers are performing; their role will continue within the Ambassadors. They will be able to log into the database using the "Login" button on the lefthand side of the new website, which leads to the same database that CTP utilized. There will be an email sent to all active volunteers in the next few days updating you about the new "Educational" role that comes with being an Ambassador. We would like to provide you with plenty of Stay The Trail brochures to hand out to people you meet on the trail and share important tips about communicating with other enthusiasts.

Upcoming Trainings
We will be holding online trainings moving forward. You can get trained from the comfort of your own house! Head to the Calendar (http://staythetrailambassadors.org/calendar/) on our new website and find a time that you can attend, then simply register for it.

glacierpaul
June 22nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
Online trainings....cool! Already a steward of my area, looking forward to making more of a difference!