PDA

View Full Version : White Rim Trail in Canyonlands

Cake
February 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Looks like I'll be heading out to this one in April. I checked out traildamage, and it doesn't seem too bad. Do you even need to drop it into 4x4 for this? There were photos of them airing down....:erm:

mattzj98
February 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Some people just like to be dramatic :) I'd most likely run it in 2 wheel drive.. your Jeep is more than capable

Rob
February 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Do you have a permit in hand?

Jackie
February 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
My husband wants to do White Rim on his dirt bike during our Moab trip with the group this April. I keep telling him it isn't going to happen unless he and I decide to break off on our own and plan some nights camping on the trail as it is almost 76 miles and there is no way a Jeep is going to do that trail in one day. (TD suggests 2 nights or more camping).

Since he'll be on a bike, he figures he can do it in a day - the problem is, his bike will run out of gas.... and the "pack-mule" would be miles behind him.:rolleyes::erm::smokin:

Java
February 27th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I don't know if you'll need 4x4, but you might need your brown pants!! Looks like an amazing trip! :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPaDBmMSSC8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL50B13B91B01351F6

scout man
February 27th, 2012, 08:03 PM
hell, I air down a on a lot of trails where I dont really need 4x4, just because it smooths out the ride, and I will take whatever I can get to smooth things out on my rig!

mattzj98
February 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM
will take whatever I can get to smooth things out on my rig!
Gotta love long arms and coils all around :P :jiggy:

Pathrat
February 27th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Four wheel drive is useful on the descent into the canyon, mainly to slow you down. Rob is right on the permits, and there are limited camping spots you also must get a permit for. Did you already get your spot?

Jackie
February 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I don't know if you'll need 4x4, but you might need your brown pants!! Looks like an amazing trip!
WOW! That trail is now on my "never gonna happen" list. I do not like really narrow shelves and I especially do not like what looks like "tippy" narrow shelves. I know I sound chicken. But I have this really wierd desire to not kill myself. Especially when I'm out trying to have fun.

But I bet on a dirt bike, it would be a blast!!!

Pathrat
February 27th, 2012, 09:14 PM
WOW! That trail is now on my "never gonna happen" list. I do not like really narrow shelves and I especially do not like what looks like "tippy" narrow shelves. I know I sound chicken. But I have this really wierd desire to not kill myself. Especially when I'm out trying to have fun.

Jackie- I did the first leg of the trail until the unfortunate food poisoning incident that affected 75% of our party (never eat at the Mexican place in Green River, no matter what), and drove out on Schaffer's pass. You and I hate shelf roads and high ledges. You might find it not as bad as it seems.

Cake
February 27th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I know you need a permit, but I haven't gotten one yet. I'm getting the feeling that I better get on that...

I'm kinda used to shelf roads living down here. Lets all do black bear pass this year, then none of ya will think give em a second thought!

Aaron
February 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I've heard it's:

1. Not very hard
2. A great trip
3. Necessary to get a permit very early... Like when they are released (in jan I think)

Java
February 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM

I hate shelf roads too!!!!! I can take a little, but then the fun stops and it's not worth it to me. I might make an exception for a trail like that, it's just too cool to pass on.

Cake
February 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Yupppp, called today, no permits until fall. I was trying to head out there this april. Fail me.

Any other camp-as-you-go (ig boondocking??) trips out that way that might be a little more permit friendly?

Java
February 28th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Too bad!! Maybe next year. From the book Canyonlands National Park, Favorite Jeep Roads and Hiking Trails by David Day: In the Maze District of Canyonlands (where Aaron Ralston cut his hand off) is the Land of Standing Rocks trail, it goes to the Dollhouse area and other cool stuff. it's 42 miles but takes a long time to do because of where it is and the condition of the road. A longer one in the same area is the Flint Trail- Green River, 110 miles, takes 4 days. Both have 8 primitive campsites for you to use, you can't camp other than those sites. They both look amazing, and I dont't think they get anywhere near the use that White Rim does so a permit may be easier. It's also a much longer drive to get to them...

Pathrat
February 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I did the Dollhouse two years ago. Permits are required as is a porta-pot. You check in at the Hans Flat Ranger station. There are lots of cool places in and around Canyonlands. Beef Basin is a place to get lost in too.

4Runninfun
February 28th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Too bad!! Maybe next year. From the book Canyonlands National Park, Favorite Jeep Roads and Hiking Trails by David Day: In the Maze District of Canyonlands (where Aaron Ralston cut his hand off) is the Land of Standing Rocks trail, it goes to the Dollhouse area and other cool stuff. it's 42 miles but takes a long time to do because of where it is and the condition of the road. A longer one in the same area is the Flint Trail- Green River, 110 miles, takes 4 days. Both have 8 primitive campsites for you to use, you can't camp other than those sites. They both look amazing, and I dont't think they get anywhere near the use that White Rim does so a permit may be easier. It's also a much longer drive to get to them...

Do you have any additional reading/resources on those trails? they sound worth doing.

I can second Beef Basin. I'll also second you WILL get lost. But it is a great trip and worth doing!

Java
February 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Do you have any additional reading/resources on those trails? they sound worth doing.

I can second Beef Basin. I'll also second you WILL get lost. But it is a great trip and worth doing!

I just have them in that book, but it's a pretty good book and I'd recommend it. Beef Basin looks cool too, a much shorter one near it, Lavender Canyon is on my one-of-these-days list, again just based on the books. I can read stuff all day, but since Stephanie has actually been there I'd ask her!!! :thumb:

Pathrat
February 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I can pipe up on Lavender canyon too. I have traveled into that canyon three times. There are great things to see, including ruins and pictographs. However, be careful and check with the ranger station. We tried to do this trip in September and the canyon was closed because of previous flooding.
If there has been any flooding, it can be difficult to traverse and the trail gets washed away. Much of it does follow the wash. Also, there is quicksand! I just can't find my picture of the sunk trunk to prove it.

Cake
March 1st, 2012, 05:59 PM
so much to explore, so little time...

Java
March 2nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
Stephanie seems to find the time!!! Which means there is a future possibility of doing Lavander Canyon with a guide... :thumb:

trailfiend
October 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
If you're able to snag a permit next year - I highly recommend doing White Rim... I've never driven it, but rode it twice in a 60/40 split on my mountain bike, only part our support truck had a bit of a struggle on was going up the Murphy Hogback (I believe), which was at the time a little more exposed but steepish, sandy over a fair amount of big rocks.

Granted, my memory thinks of that from the perspective of climbing it on a bike... and that was a PITA.

Brad
October 3rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
I want to do white rim trail next. Not sure if it will be next year or the year after.

trailfiend
October 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
I might be interested in joining you! Let me know if you want to try for next year or 2014!

Yeti
November 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I have done the White Rim - in one day which I would not recommend. It was a very long day, especially in an open vehicle with no AC. A beautiful ride though.

The trail is easy, might be a little tricky if it was wet. I do not recall the shelf roads being all that scar. I did not use 4wd but did use low range, locked vehicle. I would highly recommend this trail and would not mind doing it again if anybody on here puts together a trip.

Brad
November 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I want to do this on a 4-5 day trip spending a day or 2 in along the rim and camping at all 3 primary camping areas.