PDA

View Full Version : tire carrier damage

scout man
March 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I was an idiot the other day, and while winching myself out of a hole, I stupidly left my tire swing open. Well, I winched my front tires out of the hole, and when my rear tires fell in the same hole, I landed on my tire carrier. Needless to say, it could not hold the entire weight of my vehicle. The fact that it broke wasnt really a big deal, since it just needed re-welded. The only problem was that I was an hour and a half from home, and apparently the tire carrier doesnt fit in the back of my rig!

No pictures, I intended to, but had other things on my mind.

MelloYello
March 4th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Well, That will learn ya. : )
That sucks Steve.

scout man
March 4th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Yea, i knew better too. Honestly the way my day was going i expected to get in there one more time before getting unstuck.

Kory
March 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM
That really sucks. Sorry to hear about it. We all make bone headed moves ( I know I have). The difference between you and most of the rest of the population is you can admit to it. :)

Brody
March 5th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Good one Steve!

I really like doing dumb things that make you feel like Mr Wizard. I have done more than my share. Hope it was and easy fix and nothing got too tweaked...

scout man
March 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
yea, welded it back on in a few minutes when I got home. Fortunately nothing really tweaked, just ripped at the weld. The hard part was getting it home. Tossed the tire on the roof, and the 10 gallons of gas on the passenger floor board (cause I couldnt even lift it with all that on there), then found out that the remaining rack was about 1 inch too tall to fit in the back of the scout. Ended up having to take the back off it (fortunately had my OBA and impact with me), and putting it in in pieces. One of my dogs was a trooper and laid on the seat under the thing the whole way home without complaining.

clarification, it was sitting on my tool box, floating above the seat - I was not squishing my dog the hole way home.

Heather
March 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I'm so glad no dogs got squished in this story.

Glad you were able to fix it. If that happened to me, I'd cry. Profusely.

Rick
March 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
We all make bone headed moves ( I know I have).
Just acouple though!!!!justask my wife.