PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadening

Squshiee1
March 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have tips on what to use to help sound proof (sound deaden) my car.
i have heard of dynamat and all of those.
i want to know if anyone has a cheaper alternative. online i saw that people were using roof underlay, but there were no results on how it worked. i want to know the best place to put sound deadner also!

i have head of this... http://www.lowes.com/pl_Roofing+Underlayment_4294858150_4294937087_?cm_ cr=Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters-_-Web+Activity-_-Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters+Top+Flexible-_-SC_Roofing+Ventilation++Gutters_TopFlexible_Area-_-158612_3_cat_Pop_Cat-3

and this, as cheap soulutions! http://www.lowes.com/pl_Roof+Coatings_4294934213_4294937087_?cm_cr=Roof ing+Ventilation+and+Gutters-_-Web+Activity-_-Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters+Top+Flexible-_-SC_Roofing+Ventilation++Gutters_TopFlexible_Area-_-158612_8_cat_Pop_Cat-4

Redhurricane
March 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Fatmat. Dynamat knock off, much cheaper.

http://www.fatmat.com/

Lined the entire interior of our Bronco, sound dead and better insulated towards heat/cold.

Robert B
March 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
i used Grace ice and water shield and did the whole bottom and will be doing the sides also under the panels.......mine was thin so i might also do 2 layers but even just 1 hepls alot......also if you have any space areas inside behind ur panels my friend filled those with some type of spray foam for noise deading and insulation

Squshiee1
March 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
i just thought about this... would rubber (plain old rubber) work? i have about 50 sq ft of rubber thats about 1/8th of an inch thick.

Robert B
March 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM
thats basically what Grace is....yes as it is dense and "deadens" noise just use some strong spray adhesive when laying it in

Squshiee1
March 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
im going to try not to foam the doors, just put some of the rubber on the outside of the door. i have electric windows and barely any space!

Redhurricane
March 6th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, glue well and get air voids out to maximize the effect.

Robert B
March 6th, 2012, 09:02 PM
this was more the Band C and D pillars of tthe truck .....A pillars if you can get to them foam not the doors lol cause ya the windows :)......tomorrow after work i can see if i have pics from mine and get a pic of what i used if you want

Squshiee1
March 6th, 2012, 09:04 PM
i will give that a try, i will use it without the adhesive at first, then if i like it i will make it a little more permanent.

Squshiee1
March 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
ok, that makes more scene, and i heard to go thick on the wheel wells.

Robert B
March 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
i will use it without the adhesive at first
okay lol .... oh important note when cutting holes for seats and stuff to sit either do olike me and cut a perfect round hole for only the bolt to fit or cut it so what ever sits against the body panel will sit flat otherwise it will be off that 1/8 inch or 1/4 if you double layer it not big for seat belt mounts but a seat might drive u nuts to always be leaning just that much

Robert B
March 6th, 2012, 09:08 PM
and i heard to go thick on the wheel wells.
couldnt hurt

Squshiee1
March 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
thanks for that! that would drive me insane!

4Runninfun
March 6th, 2012, 09:16 PM
i used e-dead on my truck. Floorboards under the front and rear seats, along the inner fender wells inside of the doors and as much on the inside of the firewall as I could get to. Has worked very well. got mine off amazon.

Robert B
March 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
haha heres exactly what i use http://www.lowes.com/pd_222287-711-5003026_4294858150_4294937087_?productId=3064819&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Roofing%2BUnderlayment_4294858150 _4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0% 7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Brody
March 7th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Me too. Works great. Works even better when it is hot out. Sticks and conforms to everything: hands, metal, clothing, glass, plastic......There is a reason people in construction call it '***** O Thane'....

RidgeRunner
March 7th, 2012, 07:10 AM
We use this stuff at work, but it aint cheap. Works real well though.

http://www.lizardskin.com/sound-control-insulation.html

ColoJeeper
March 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Is a lousy stereo that can't mask any other sound your vehicle is making :lmao:

Squshiee1
March 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
my stereo will more than mask all of the sounds, but i would like for it to just sound and feel a little more solid!
ja know!

Popsgarage
March 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
i used Grace ice and water shield

X2 on this. It's made out of a similar material, is less than 1/2 the price and works almost as good.

RockyMtnHigh
March 9th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I was curious about the use of the Grace Ice and Water Shield you guys are talking about. From what Pete said, I wouldn't want that in my truck/car on the walls or the floor boards when it gets hot, so I did some searches. I ran across this write up on the differences in products used for sound deadening or primary sound deadening products, it mentions the use of roofing products.

http://www.dctra.org/files/1974_TR6_Carpet_Install/Sound_Deadener_Showdown.pdf

Quote from the above link:

I looked at the specifications for products developed for roofing, which many of the products in this
category began life as, I saw the problem. Roofing materials are designed to withstand temperatures
of 158°F for two weeks without melting. Manufacturers supply butyl products for situations that will
either exceed this temperature or duration. Extend the time and the maximum sustainable
temperature falls. This explains why some people have had success with asphalt mats for a few
years, only to have them fail in a subsequent year. Failure can be disastrous. If you're lucky, the mat
will just fall off. If you're not, it will melt - pools of asphalt in your carpet or upholstery or window
mechanism.

Another problem with asphalt mats is the smell. You should be fine during cool weather, but on a hot
day, they tend to smell like, well asphalt.
If it were me I think I would be looking at something else.

Brody
March 9th, 2012, 05:51 AM
As far as the Gracie junk: when it is hot, it flatass bonds to stuff that it sticks too and removing it is a *****. Once it is applied, it is pretty much there..

Cheap, too. Any new construction roofing will probably have this product on it, providing the roofers don't use felt, and there is always a partial roll to be found simply lying on the ground or in the roll off when they are done. You can always just ask the next roofers you see for a remnant roll. Most of the time there is too little to bother keeping and storing for reuse, so the partial roll gets tossed.

Popsgarage
March 9th, 2012, 03:17 PM
And it has a plastic skin that faces the carpet or body panels so none of the material can come through.