PDA

View Full Version : Oil, very important information

CodeXJ
March 17th, 2012, 12:41 AM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm

I been running Castrol part-synthetic. Well It hasb een getting harder to get castrol part-synthetic by itself. So I have gon to the hi-mileage Part synthetic. 2 in 1. Every once in awhile I'd use Hyper lube or Lucas Oil stabilizer.

Well with advances in oil of today's time, the thickening of oil is actually doing more harm to your engine. (It's not going to blow your engine up, but it causes quite a few ill-effects.)

Synthetic oil is the best for the engine and running thinner oil is better for the motor as a lot of engine wear is during the inital start up. Synthetic oil tends to stick better to the moving parts and actually gets moved into the upper parts of your motor faster then thicker oil because thicker oil has to warm up first. Especially here in Colorado where temperatures can get pretty cold the thick oil, sometimes like 10w-30 or the stabilizers can make it harder on your motor!

I read through most of the ten chapters bob talks about, and I will try and run (still castrol part synthetic hi mileage 10w-30) but without adding oil stabilizer. I may after I get my seals redone go to synthetic.
On contrary to belief you can mix synthetic with conventional, just not wise to mix synthetics of two different brands. On the other hand synthetic doesn't make your oil leak more, bad seals make it leak and hi mileage is a bandage that sweels up to slow leaking (good for the Inline 6 which is a pretty leaky motor, and using hi-mileage my rear mainhas slowed from the non hi mileage.)

Even though 10w-30 is thicker then 5w-30 in some of the sources they say to stick with the recommended weight of oil as tolerances in the motor run best with those weights.

In a nutshell stay away from oil additives! Do to CAFE regulations motor oil has been coming a long way and running thinner oil actually reduces wear at start up and increases gas mileage. Bob explaisn the difference between thicker oil and thinner oil. A little thicker may do better if your running accorss the state every day but if you a short trip person then a thick oil does not have time to warm up to operating temperature which increases wear on your motor at a quicker pace. I like to think very keenly on my oil because it is a major and cheap helper from keeping you from buying a new motor or rebuilding one.

With Hyperlube, I have noticed a more sluggish feeling when colder when compared to I don't use it. But it does quiet my engine noise! (Tricky tricky) Another thing bob explains is that the thicker oil and additives do coat the parts effectively, but they can also get very thick which increases strain on your starter and battery to starting up your vehicle.

From a lot of reading up on a lot of forums I have found that everyone's advice to everyone else is run thicker oil as your miles increase. If so why are oils getting thinner? If you think about it, I had the same idea, old worn out parts, they need thicker oil to reduce frictional wear because they aren't in keen condition, but if its gumming up in your motor or not warming up fast enough to lubricate, then isn't your motor just wearing itself out more without thin oil to lubricate quickly. Bob talks about FLOW of oil rather to trying to make it thick.

He also talks about aftermarket Air filters to standard paper filters.. In his test he does state that the cotton filters like K&N DO let more air through increase your air intake, BUT paper filters FILTER more. So is it worth sucking in more air or filtering more stuff out of your motor? It's preference. I know that my motor doesn't get a good increase with an intake so I'm back to paper and seems to run better... Though you should change out your air filter when it gets dirty if your running paper, because if you run it to long your motor trying to suck air in may actually PULL the things it filtered through the filter and into the motor ANYWAYS.

I hope this helps!!
Just my :2c:

Brody
March 17th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Bobtheoilguy is already posted in the TECH here:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?11443-Motor-Oils-and-Fluids-Information&p=123663#post123663

I added your other link to that thread and moved this into 4x4 topics. Thanks!

dannanw
March 17th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Unless you are dealing with a diesel, then the rules change again....

CodeXJ
March 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Bobtheoilguy is already posted in the TECH here:
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...663#post123663
I added your other link to that thread and moved this into 4x4 topics. Thanks!

Thank you! :D If I can remember the other links I will post them to be added to the tech help.

ya diesel little different, But I have seen quite a few people run Rotella 15w 40 in their cherokees and say that it works amazing. Idk, I'd be hesitant on using diesel oil even though the diesel oil does have a lot of chemicals that help the motor a lot. Anyone tried rotella in their cherokees? In most sources I've read they say stay away from additives, which there are a lot of people who swear by lucas.

mattzj98
March 17th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Aww someone deleted my post =( glad Cody got to see it haha =P

CodeXJ
March 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Aww someone deleted my post =( glad Cody got to see it haha =P

Hahaha :P Your just jealous that I put so much research into the simple things :D

mattzj98
March 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Haha as long as you don't run vaseline for engine lube, you're good to go lol

CodeXJ
March 17th, 2012, 09:25 PM
ok, so my ADD kicked in after the first paragraph and there weren't any pictures. I just put in high mileage 10w-30 for the summer. lemme know if I screwed up lol

Ok so here is the tricky question. If you have an inline 6(which I'm assuming from avatar) then 10w-130 high mileage is fine. If it is a part synthetic blend according to bob and texlabs then that's even better because synthetic even a blend will stick better and provide a less wear start up in the morning. It seems to me in reading the 10 chapters that if u put in a hi mileage part synthetic blend then you a.) have a thinner oil do to synthetic, and B.) you followed manufacture recommendations. With it being summer temperature is warmer thus your 10w 30 will not thicken up as much as it will in winter! So you are perfectly fine with 10w 30 hi mileage! if its not part synthetic then just try that out next time. I'm running 10w 30 hi mile part synthetic castrol. My stupid mistake is before Research I swear by Hyperlube and next oil change im going to flush it out. after that no more. (I'ma try the technological scientific way, because I bet you if you ask a lot of people they will tell you thicker is better the older your motor is.) It is personal trial and error. I'ma go against popular theory.

On the other hand in suggesting from the reading if you run short trips then you "Should" run a 5w 30 as it is thinner to begin with and quicker to move to the upper part of the motor. This is also the case in WINTER, when the temperatures are colder and makes oil thicken then a 5w-30 SHOULD be the perfect oil used through winter.

I usually run 10w-30 all year around, but if your like me you probably notice the harder start up in winter. This next winter I'm going to run 5w-30 hi mile part synthetic and take results in the difference between weights.

If texlabs, bob, and other credited sources tell the truth then my car should start up a bit easier and less stress on battery and starter

For now you are fine!! :thumb:

CodeXJ
March 17th, 2012, 11:52 PM
yea, that's what I put in it this time around - and yep, it's an inline 6
thanks for the synopsis *LONG day at the ball field and this will be a good read when I am more awake

I tend to overstate things, but try to always make my answers as thorough as possible. I'll be running this until next winter where I will try 5w 30 casttrol part synthetic hi mile. and see if it helps the motor a bit more. I like to think that I am taking the utmost care of my vehicle because money is never always there especially to get a new motor

Molley
March 18th, 2012, 01:36 AM
just a side note to this oil thing .. if you are running a older engine with flat tap lifters and cam you should put additive in or use oil that has phosphate i use risoline oil additive . this was learned the hard way 2 times by a buddy of mine that races pikes peak hill climb .. he flatten 2 cams , so now i run it in all my older stuff that isnt roller cam ... scared straight

Popsgarage
March 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Very true on the flat tappet camshaft and lifters. Especially on a built engine.

Hypoid
March 18th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Very true on the flat tappet camshaft and lifters. Especially on a built engine.Rebuilt for sure. I'm still on the fence about engines that have been in service for some time. I can't help but think that older engines would be dropping like flies if the ZDDP made such a huge difference.

I have used the Riselone product. I'd like to know what weight the carrier oil is. It poured like a straight 20W or 30W. Still, it's better than the STP zinc additive.

Squshiee1
March 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
i run 5w20 in my rodeo. stopped all of my ticking.