PDA

View Full Version : More power

CodeXJ
March 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Looking through power upgrades to the Inline 6. I like to dream what can I say.. I have thought of doing many things in the future.

I know Frank did a 5.3L Swap and all the work involved.
I've seen quite a few stroker Inline 6's

To those who have done a lot of engine upgrades and swap is it really worth it then leaving the stock Inline 6 and just have some good gearing? I'm not out to have a sports car(jeep) but extra power is fun.

I have come up with a few schemas of Ideas

350 TPI motor from 80's trans am or camaros and installing a Ram Jet upgrade which is a good set up for low to mid, and better high then stock. The TPI motors are based very largely on torque and fuel consumption to a minimum. Plus they can be mated to a 700r4 which is a strong tranny.

Next you'd be stroking the inline 6 to a 4.6L boring it 30 over using 258 crank and etc. Though I know a stroker usually sucks in more gas then using stock...

So I thought of another way of Boosting power that can help out in low range and yet not be to expensive or in depth. I came accross this supercharger

http://boostecus.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=28

It is basically a plug and play kit with all required pieces to function properly and claims to run 5-6 psi to increase torque closer to 300. The kit is $4000. Which is cheaper then an involved motor swap, may save better on gas then a stroker even if the stroker may be cheaper to build.. Usually as long as you don't boost past 8 psi then the stock internals can handle it fine as long as the motor isnt trashed beforehand.

I just want ideas on what people have ran. Thank you :)

Popsgarage
March 18th, 2012, 12:09 AM
If you're going to swap in a V8. use an aluminum blocked LS1 from Camaro or Vette. Will actually weigh a bit less than your I6. Torque curve on those things is stupid flat.

CodeXJ
March 18th, 2012, 12:15 AM
If you're going to swap in a V8. use an aluminum blocked LS1 from Camaro or Vette. Will actually weigh a bit less than your I6. Torque curve on those things is stupid flat.

Trust me I have thought A LOT into doing a V8 swap, but engine's aren't my real speciality. To say the least it took my couple tries to time my ignition on my trans am decently. I don't want to get in over my head and not be able to get it to work. =/ But I'd love an LS1 I've seen those swapped to.

Hypoid
March 18th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Whatever you get into, start with an OBDI vehicle. Once you get into OBDII, the different systems are more difficult to change.

CodeXJ
March 18th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Whatever you get into, start with an OBDI vehicle. Once you get into OBDII, the different systems are more difficult to change.

That's another thing I wanted to avoid was getting into computer systems to program different aspects. Where if I stick to stroker or Supercharger I can stick to my main computer that's already in the jeep.

Hypoid
March 18th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Newer vehicles have more to computers to deal with, and they all talk to each other. Mess with one, they all get FUBAR!

CodeXJ
March 18th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Newer vehicles have more to computers to deal with, and they all talk to each other. Mess with one, they all get FUBAR!

I will stick to making due with the inline 6. I don't need the headache or problems associated with messing with computers!! :D Thank you mike! Like I said I'm better with suspension then engine's any day. I just know I'ma have to rebuild my motor one day.

Java
March 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I've never done anything to a 4.0, but my 88 YJ had the 4.2 in it... at about 140,000 miles I found coolant in the oil, drove it one time after that to Spitfire Engines on Federal (think they're somewhere else now, not sure) and paid over $5000.00 to have it bored, stroked, cammed, injected, fancy pistons, head work, lots of stuff. It was a good engine, no doubt, but no barn burner. I think it was a waste of money. If I had it over again I'd have bought a rebuilt long block and spent a weekend putting it in myself. Hotrodding an inline 6 is a good way, IMO, to end up with a very expensive engine that almost compares to a bone stock v8.

mattzj98
March 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I've had the stroker in my previous jeep.. was right around 4k but the dude simply traded for 5.9. You know how quick it was for a 6 banger..

CodeXJ
March 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I've had the stroker in my previous jeep.. was right around 4k but the dude simply traded for 5.9. You know how quick it was for a 6 banger..

It was a very nice stroker, but I also know it loved gas too! I want best bang for buck. You know the more I read everyone's post the more I lean towards a supercharger.
Less time consumed, sometimes cheaper, doesn't horrible kill gas mileage. And like java said
. It was a good engine, no doubt, but no barn burner. I think it was a waste of money
if you put so much money into it then might as well just do a V8. I love my inline 6, and will probably keep my V8's to hot rods only. I think maybe in the future I'll do the plug and play bolt on supercharger kit. Plus superchargers give more instant powers without the lag since they are belt driven and not exhaust driven. I'm sure people have other things to say I just not huge into turbos to put it at that.

Brody
March 19th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I love the SC on my heap!

CodeXJ
March 19th, 2012, 06:48 AM
It's settled then for future! :D plug and play it is

Java
March 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM
good choice :thumb: