PDA

View Full Version : CANCELLED DUE TO FIRE CLOSURE - Left Hand Canyon

ctracy5
March 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Cancelled. Someone will need to create a new run somewhere else...

Squshiee1
March 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
usually its channel 4.

ctracy5
March 19th, 2012, 06:48 PM
sounds good channel 4 it is

mattzj98
March 19th, 2012, 06:55 PM
gas jumped to 4 dollars.. great :(

Roostercruiser
March 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Gas is getting ridiculous :-(

ccbruin
March 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
if i wasnt gonna be in vegas!

Rick
March 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM
rsvp counter for yes is wrong, I counted 5 times and every time only saw 4 vehicles. Just Sayin

Rob
March 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM
rsvp counter for yes is wrong, I counted 5 times and every time only saw 4 vehicles. Just Sayin

There are five names under "yes." One doesn't have an avatar posted, so no pic shows up in the RSVP.

Hint: Look between Scrat and Squshiee.

Rick
March 19th, 2012, 09:15 PM
oops!!!! still had to look twice to see what you were talkin about
There are five names under "yes." One doesn't have an avatar posted, so no pic shows up in the RSVP.

mattzj98
March 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM
if only i could put in a 3 week notice haha

xaza
March 20th, 2012, 06:07 AM
there is only 4 pics, but 5 names, SpyderJeep snuck in with no pic. lol (didn't see the 2 other posts explaining)

biglady112
March 20th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Is there any way to do other trails? Not sure how long this one is. If I am making the drive, I would like to run for a few hours at least.

Brody
March 20th, 2012, 07:34 AM
There are a lot of branches off of Left Hand Canyon, so exploring the entire area actually makes for a fairly full day. Another option is to do the Lefthand Canyon run, come back down to the pavement, go to Peak to Peak and run Bunce School/IronClads, returning to Ft. Collins via Lyons....Big loop for sure, but quite a bit of wheeling on trails that are open...

biglady112
March 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I am game for anything. I did Bunce and Middle St Vrain and one other up there in a BONE stock samurai in 2010. I would like to think I could get by this time with a better rig.

Brody
March 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Problem is that this time of year, there simply aren't a whole lot of trails open yet. Bunce and IronClads are, Miller Rock may be, but faces north, so there could be too much snow. Rob (DrOldUnit) might be able to chime in with some other trails that are open, too, that would form a loop for ya.

With a late 11:00 meeting time, there may not be much time left to run anything other than LeftHand, too, which is something else to consider....

ctracy5
March 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
if everybody wants to make a bigger day we can change the meeting time, I am completely open to suggestions.

ctracy5
March 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Do we want to have everyone for themselves on food or do we want a potluck for lunch, don't really have a preference.

Mr6dwg
March 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Boy, I sure would like to go with you guys. It is close enough to my house and I have not been out yet. I am still waiting on my transfer case from Atlas. I have been driving my wife's Durango to work these days. My 231 transfer case is making alot of "rattling can" noises. Today is the 6th and final week for the transfer case to be built. It is shipping to the shop and will be put on next week. I am still concerned about our Moab trip. I hope I get the parts put on and tested prior to the Moab trip.

1tongorilla
March 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm jealous...did you get the 2 or 4 speed atlas?

Gossamer
March 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Spyderjeep ? Dave?

CodeXJ
March 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I'm debating on going or not. hmmm

mattzj98
March 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Cody, you should go. I'll go with you

CodeXJ
March 20th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Cody, you should go. I'll go with you

you go as in ride along or bring your jeep? :P Depending on how the jeep is running i'll decide when it gets closer. I had some issues, but tinkering aroudn I got them fixed everything running fine right now so I shall see.

plus i been waiting to get the drop brackets so I can finish my lift and get my slip back, and more flex

Rob
March 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Rob (DrOldUnit) might be able to chime in with some other trails that are open, too, that would form a loop for ya.

With a late 11:00 meeting time, there may not be much time left to run anything other than LeftHand, too, which is something else to consider....

You're probably right about that. Left Hand can take an hour or so or a full day, depending on how much of it you do. And Big Mother Hill is optional. It can take an hour or more if you have a few rigs (though I remember doing it in about 10 minutes a couple of years ago while following an FJC with a supercharger; that was a ride.)

There are other trails you can hit, but you'd have to do some driving to get there and back, and most probably still have snow or, more likely, cement-like snow.

ctracy5
March 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
Well I guess we need to make some choices. It looks like the 11am meeting time at the trail head is standing and everyone is bringing their own food. I only plan on doing left hand canyon because I have to drive back up to Fort Collins afterwards but if we get done early enough others could plan on hitting other near by trails if they feel the need. We will be using CB channel 4 ( I may be able to get one for the trip, cross your fingers). I will have three in my Trooper so I have room for one more if anyone wants a ride, feel free to meet us at the trail head and hop in. ( I have a fairly stock rig so I will be bypassing some of the more crazy parts). If anyone has anything else to add or questions feel free to ask.

Sorry if this has been confusing this is my first time putting a run together so I am still figuring it out. :D

ctracy5
March 21st, 2012, 01:31 PM
If anyone is coming from up north (Fort Collins area) I wouldn't mind meeting up and driving to the trial together, just let me know.

Rob
March 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
It looks like the 11am meeting time at the trail head

There's not a lot of places to park at the trailhead and often those spaces are taken up by trucks with trailers and other vehicles. Another option for a meeting place is Buckingham Park, on the north side of Left Hand Canyon Drive, about where Old Stage Road hits LHC Drive. You can meet up there, air down, then drive about a mile of LHC Drive to the trailhead and hit the trail running.

It's "A" (not "B") on the map below. You can zoom in to see it better and change to sat view to see the parking lot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=buckingham+park+boulder+county&fb=1&gl=us&hq=buckingham+park&hnear=0x876bdbec62ae71c5:0x7f490073a9b047cd,Boulde r,+CO&ei=2qdqT7iBFvLYiQLa7vGhBQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CBEQtgM

Heather
March 22nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
Sorry if this has been confusing this is my first time putting a run together so I am still figuring it out.
I think you're doing just fine. It'll be fun!!

ctracy5
March 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
There's not a lot of places to park at the trailhead and often those spaces are taken up by trucks with trailers and other vehicles. Another option for a meeting place is Buckingham Park, on the north side of Left Hand Canyon Drive, about where Old Stage Road hits LHC Drive. You can meet up there, air down, then drive about a mile of LHC Drive to the trailhead and hit the trail running.

I think that will be plan B, If we get to the trail head and there is no parking a few of us can drive anyone back to park who needs to leave a vehicle. Thanks for the good suggestions.

95tacoma
March 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
You know you wanna go Spencer! :D

Squshiee1
March 23rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
I think you're doing just fine. It'll be fun!!
Your just such a positive thinker!

ctracy5
March 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
To bad you can't make it Chase. It would have been fun have another Isuzu on the trail. Well it is still a week away anything can happen right.

Kory
March 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I would like to come so I am a maybe at this point. :)

Squshiee1
March 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM
well, i will have to see, for some reason i thought it was last Saturday.

otisdog
March 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I am probably going to go an hour or so early and do a bit of shooting on the "range".
Jim

ctracy5
March 28th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Sounds good we will see you on the trail this weekend

ctracy5
March 28th, 2012, 08:30 AM
well, i will have to see, for some reason i thought it was last Saturday.

You got until Saturday don't know if that helps you out at all, hopefully you can make it out, otherwise I am sure I will see you once some more trails open.

AccordRanger
March 28th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Gah I want a runnig truck already! Haven't been up there in 2 years. Once I get the parts I have for the Subie on and aligned I need to get on the Ranger!

Squshiee1
March 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Well i still cant make it, my dad and are going to look at a rodeo for my brother.

ctracy5
March 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Gah I want a runnig truck already!

I know it not as fun but I'm sure you could meet us up there and ride along. I only bring this up because I guess left hand may not be open much longer. If you want to know more you can read this other thread.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?16228-Left-Hand-Canyon-problems

ctracy5
March 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Well i still cant make it

thats to bad well have to plan another run soon then.

Kory
March 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Turning in to a big group. :)

Rob
March 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but LHC is closed indefinitely: http://www.timescall.com/news/longmont-local-news/ci_20283798/forest-service-close-lefthand-canyon-off-highway-vehicle

You might check into Miller Rock or Rock Creek, maybe even Bunce and Ironclads.

Heather
March 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Poopies. Wonder of some of us can work on cleanup while it's closed...thanks for the info, Rob!

biglady112
March 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM
We can still do this. Let's do Bunce, Ironclads, T33 plane crash, Middle Saint Vrain. Come on. We are all committed, lets not pass this up. I have been working too hard to not be able to play. Is everyone still in?

Heather
March 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
We're in possibly - I am meeting Robyn early in the a.m., so the 11 start time worked for me...if the time stays do-able, we're in!

Rob
March 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
T33 plane crash, Middle Saint Vrain

These two aren't open yet. The T-33 trailhead is in the section of Bunce that's still gated and closed. MSV and Coney won't open until early June (typically), though with the lack of snow and warm weather, they might open earlier this year.

You could do the section of Bunce that's open and then Ironclads, then hop over and try Rock Creek. That's a good combo of trails this time of year.

biglady112
March 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Anything. I just want to go. Even some moderate stuff I am ok with. Let's here some ideas guys and gals. I have put too much time in to getting this Samurai running well to not go.

Heather
March 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Rob always knows what he's talking about. Maybe we should just go with his idea, or at least plan on that unless someone else that's going has some other burning desire?

Rob
March 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Rob always knows what he's talking about.

You've obviously have never spoken with my ex-wife. :lmao:

Rob
March 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hard to say. No telling how much snow the trail got or how much has melted or blown off the trail. If you wanted to try it, you could send one rig up to the shelf road and switchback (where it gets steep) and see what it's like. If that's not bad, it's probably doable. If it's icy or still has more than six inches of snow, I wouldn't chance it.

Jackie
March 29th, 2012, 09:31 PM
The LHC trail is "temporarily closed". Pick another one and go have fun!

Heather
March 29th, 2012, 09:33 PM
You've obviously have never spoken with my ex-wife.

Pffft. Nothing would change my opinion on your expertise. Well, wheeling-wise, anyway! :lmao:

you could send one rig up to the shelf road and switchback (where it gets steep)

Oooh. Clenchy clench. Shelf + possible snow and ice. :eek:

I don't care where we go, or what we do, as long as we get out (and I hope it's late enough that I can join, but if not - hopefully there's lots of pix!).

Jim
March 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
You could do the section of Bunce that's open and then Ironclads, then hop over and try Rock Creek. That's a good combo of trails this time of year.

As much as I've been on them this winter, I'm wishing to get out for anything. I'd guess Ironclads would be doable this time around. I'd be curious to see how far the group would make it up Rock Creek.

A not so good alternative (distance) would be Sevenmile Creek near Rustic on CO14.

biglady112
March 29th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Let's do it. Can we get some definites here? I am cool with traveling a little. I just want to enjoy the awesome weather this weekend.

otisdog
March 30th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Craps.
Hope everyone who has responded yes gets the word.
I'm open for other ideas.
Jim

Aaron
March 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM
What does Yankee hill look like? I've done it in may but not April.

Aaron

Brody
March 30th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Someone should contact Paul (glacierpaul) or Jesse (NewbTourist). They both live up there. So does Erin.....

Tom
March 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I saw in the Time-Call this morning that the Forest Service has closed the Left Hand Canyon off road area due to fire danger. I think its a temporary closure but...

Brody
March 30th, 2012, 07:30 AM
See this thread:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?16250-Left-Hand-closed

LEFT HAND CANYON IS CLOSED

It is also posted on this thread, post #56 or so. You will need to find and post another trail to run. Whether this closure is temporary or permanent, the trail isn't open.

We can still do this. Let's do Bunce, Ironclads, T33 plane crash, Middle Saint Vrain.

Middle St Vrain and Coney don't open until close to the July 4th weekend. That is also close to the time that they reopen the gate that closes off the upper section of Bunce School that accesses the T33A crash, etc. The lower section of Bunce School and the Ironclads are open all year.

Traildamage.com has the forest Service numbers posted for the Ranger Districts that control these areas. A simple phone call to the Ranger Station will usually answer any questions about wherther a trail is open or closed.

SpyderJeep
March 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm in... let's first set a meeting place so if it changes we'll at least be all together

Aaron
March 30th, 2012, 08:06 AM
In all, the LHC run is cancelled. You guys need to set up another, new, run. Otherwise there will be confusion!

Aaron
March 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Go here to plan the new run. I'm going to close this thread to avoid further confusion...

Again, go here... http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?16258-New-run-due-to-LHC-Closure-Post-Here