PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering gearbox XJ

xaza
March 19th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Am looking to get a pitman arm from a Grand Cherokee for my XJ. I also need a new gearbox and was wondering if I could save myself some time and effort to use the gearbox from the Grand as well? I have 94 Cherokee XJ running 31s and not looking to upgrade quite yet.

SpyderJeep
March 19th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Best to go with a Durango '98ish with the v8

xaza
March 19th, 2012, 06:55 PM
so the power steering box from a Durango is a bolt in replacement? Is the pitman arm the same length as Grand Cherokee?

mattzj98
March 19th, 2012, 06:58 PM
the durango box is a stronger box, direct fit but instead of 3 bolts, it uses 4 bolts. It's a great upgrade along with a steering box brace

Hypoid
March 20th, 2012, 04:12 AM
There are enough XJs and ZJs in the U-Pull that you could spend an afternoon finding out how easily they swap.

If you really want the Durango box, there is one for sale in the classified: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?15999-Parting-out-91-Briarwood&p=192126#post192126

xaza
March 20th, 2012, 05:26 AM
lol, I have an xj and a zj in my driveway, guess I should just wander out there and look.

dannanw
March 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I need one too, let us know what you end up with, mine leaks bad. I am going to do the pump and box when I get to it.

Mr6dwg
March 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have heard that as well on the Durango steering box working. It is stronger, too.

xaza
March 20th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Ok so the gearbox on my ZJ is way off from my XJ. Not sure if the inline 6 ZJ will be the same. Still following up. Also heard the gearbox out of a Dodge 1500 bolts rights in?

mattzj98
March 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ok so the gearbox on my ZJ is way off from my XJ. Not sure if the inline 6 ZJ will be the same. Still following up. Also heard the gearbox out of a Dodge 1500 bolts rights in?

1500 ram should be same or similar to a durango box as far as I know but I'm not a 100% that it mounts the same

Brody
March 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM
Also heard the gearbox out of a Dodge 1500 bolts rights in?

Let us know how the "bolts right in" goes for you. Most of us who work on vehicles, especially 4x4s, cringe a bit when we see the terms...or see anything that says "bolt on", "universal fit", "installed with basic hand tools", "no special tools required", "easily installed", "install time: one hour" or anything along those lines....:lmao::lmao::lmao:

xaza
March 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
lol. The only thing I am really trying to upgrade is my pitman arm, which I am getting off a GC because it will drop down a little bit from stock to compensate for my lift. Was just hoping they used the same gearbox so I didn't have to borrow dads puller. My gearbox is still in decent shape so it is just going in the back for a spare. I think Brody is the man to answer the questions others have though in regards to good upgrades?

SpyderJeep
March 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Here is my reference for many junk yard/salvage yard upgrades.
Caution.... Reading this forum MAY cause serious wrenching and "shopping"
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/budget-builds-what-junkyard-parts-will-fit-cherokee-58797/

xaza
March 22nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
nice link! I saved the info to my computer and printed it out for next trip to jy

Popsgarage
March 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Let us know how the "bolts right in" goes for you. Most of us who work on vehicles, especially 4x4s, cringe a bit when we see the terms...or see anything that says "bolt on", "universal fit", "installed with basic hand tools", "no special tools required", "easily installed", "install time: one hour" or anything along those lines....

X2 on this one, Pete!!!

xaza
April 8th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Sorry took me so long. Went to the jy yesterday and found that the gearbox in a Grand Cherokee with the inline six that matches my XJ. (least I think) I haven't put it in yet but eyeballing it next to the xj gearbox, they look same. Pitman arm has more drop but we already knew that. :D. The gearbox out of V8 Grands looks different and I would assume stronger but look like a little fabwork is required. Got lucky and found a steering box brace too!

Popsgarage
April 8th, 2012, 09:23 PM
You can also upgrade to a YJ box. It's also a 4 bolt box and has a better steering ratio. 3:1 fixed ratio. Check out T&T Customs XJ steering box brace and box upgrade.

Serious Offroad
April 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM
My Durango thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243473378#post243473378 (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103&highlight=durango)

I've got a stock XJ/ZJ gear box in the garage. $20