PDA

View Full Version : Help suspension/driveshaft issues

xaza
March 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM
So we just changed the leaf springs on my brothers xj. we went from a 3.5 inch spring to a 4.5 inch. The driveshaft is now too long, has 1/8 inch inward travel while sitting level with weight on it before outputshaft bottoms out inside driveshaft. Is there a solution that we can make this work and get truck on trail tomorrow? Bill's is closed so can't get new shaft until Monday.

Popsgarage
March 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
XJ spring are not asymmetrical. Did you get the springs reversed? Front to back? Were they reversed before he got it and did you put the new set on the correct direction?

xaza
March 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Nope they only fit in one way. Bushing for front is too big to fit in shackle.

Hypoid
March 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
A) What year Cherokee?
B) Is the drive shaft stock?
C) Do the new springs have a wedge built in to correct pinion angle?

xaza
March 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
it's a 94 cherokee, 231J Transfer case(one with shorter housing). He has 1.25 inch transfer case drop. We put a shim in to maintain driveline angle. The driveshaft is 31", over half an inch shorter than my cherokees shaft. Just scratching my head because always thought if you increase lift it pulls the shaft out.

CodeXJ
March 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM
did you put the t-case drop in at same time as the leaf springs? Because if you went from 3.5 to 4.5 your driveshaft shouldnt be "longer" it should be "shorter." But if you installed a t-case drop, with a shim kit and only went 1" bigger this CAN cause your driveshaft to APPEAr too long. I bet you if you took the t-case drop out and bolted it back up like factory you won't have the drive shaft being to long.

EDIT: If you overshimmed it it can also make the driveshaft appear "to long"

My 4.5" has a 30" driveshaft minusing the u-joint area,

Take the t-case drop out first see what it does, if it still to long. figure out what degree shim you used and back it down. if still don't work your gonna have to get the driveshaft shortened. (if you want to keep the degree shim in because it gives a better angle, shortening the driveshaft will be better.)

To give a set-up of how mine is like for 4.5" I NO t-case drop. 30" shaft(minus the u-joint ends) and a 2 degree shim.

Hypoid
March 24th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Yup, pointing the yokes at each other actually decreased the distance between them. The wedges in the rear springs, tip the pinion up to help with the driveline angles on that shaft. I second taking the T-case drop out, and driving it to see if he still has vibes from the front driveshaft. I have some half-inch shims that you are welcome to try, if he still has vibes.

xaza
March 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Yeah we started with just the new leaf pack, but angles were no good. Put in the shims, fixed pinion angle at diff. Too much angle at t-case, added 1/4" drop (already had 1" drop). We flexed it out and jumped on the rear bumper and couldn't hear the shaft bottoming out. It actually seems like as weight is added to spring and it compresses that the shaft is actually moving out. We are going to take it to Spring Creek today, we'll see if she holds. Still have to get a slightly shorter shaft I think though. Will look into the shims, can prolly go with smaller shim with the lower t-case drop. Thanks for all your help!

Hypoid
March 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM
It actually seems like as weight is added to spring and it compresses that the shaft is actually moving out.
OK, that makes sense. Lift springs have to be longer to make that arch, and still connect to the mounting points. Flattening the spring will move the axle toward the back because the front mounting point is fixed.

Get the axle into droop and see what the slip yoke does.

scout man
March 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
just be carefull wheeling it with a shaft thats too long. Take it from someone who learned the lesson the hard way, if your shaft is bottoming out you will end up hammering your tcase off of your transmission, and leave you stranded somewhere.

CodeXJ
March 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
just be carefull wheeling it with a shaft thats too long. Take it from someone who learned the lesson the hard way, if your shaft is bottoming out you will end up hammering your tcase off of your transmission, and leave you stranded somewhere.

Thus, why I havent wheeled my jeep in awhile. Need to get the new lift in so I can have my slip back. I forgot to incorporate sag into my measurements. noob move.

xaza
April 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM
My brother and I went to the jy yesterday to pick up some stuff for my rig and found a lil somethin for him. Found a driveshaft in decent shape that was about an inch shorter. It also seems to have more angle before the ends bind. Put it in and have half an inch clearance :erm::eek: :thumb: