PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm ADD...

Aaron
March 27th, 2012, 09:16 AM
So, here has been my thought process over the past couple of months till now...

A couple of months ago, I was thinking of selling my Jeep to get something older that could tow my camper short distances and take my family off-roading (and didn't have a payment).... Then I got my steering fixed and decided to keep my heep. Also decided to sell the Diesel truck.

About a month ago, I bought (almost stole) a couple of ATVs and a trailer from my neighbor... Have ridden them a couple of times. They are a BLAST!

After towing the trailer with the two ATVs on them up to the property with the Jeep, I realized that towing with the Jeep was going to be painful! So The bride and I spent some time last week looking at little Nissan pickups. We decided that getting into a longer payment term wasn't really worth it...

Sunday, I was talking to my neighbor about this and he let me know that he was looking to get rid of his TJ and his truck and wanted to get a JK Unlimited. Then he said, why don't you sell me yours. I politely let him know that we had decided to keep the Jeep and it ended there, or so I thought...

Now here is my thought process... Let me know what you think. If I were to sell my neighbor my Jeep, I'd be down a payment and up about 4K in the bank account. I'd be down an AWESOME wheeling rig. Then I look outside. I have this perfectly capable F250 Diesel sitting outside which for about... 4K (Big tires, glow plugs, windshield, lift, etc.) could be made into a decent (although large) wheeling rig. My wheeling is pretty light and with the ATVs, I might be doing more small wheeling than big wheeling over the next year anyway.

If I did that, I'd be down a significant payment, I'd be up a rig capable of towing my camping trailer and my ATVs and some good wheeling.

Help me sort out my ADD :)

RockyMtnHigh
March 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Is that the guy to the left you of you with that crawler and that truck we thought was a suburban?

Aaron
March 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM
No, the one diagonal to me. Used to be a member. White TJ

RockyMtnHigh
March 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM
No, the one diagonal to me. Used to be a member. White TJ

Ahh, okay. If it was the one I was thinking, I was going to suggest a trade for his truck (that thing is pretty sweet) and your JK and get rid of the diesel.

I understand your position, I was there last year myself. The FJC pulled the camper okay, although it felt like it was always working at the top of it's power band, it also lacked a lot of room. You know what I did, I needed something that was reliable with decent mileage for my 50 mile commute everyday, which is the reason I went that way.

Java
March 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'd sell the Jeep and just do what the F250 needs, but not modify it. It could be a decent wheeler, but it'll never even come close to your Jeep, not much will, and you'll possibly be disappointed with the end result. I'd keep it up for sale and use it to tow the ATVs until it does sell, then use the $$ you saved not modifying it plus what you get for selling it to buy into a newer JK with the engine that can tow your ATVs, or wheel on it's own, or rescue an ATV... a lot of them will be coming off lease or just traded in soon.

4Runninfun
March 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't call the pickup a wheeling rig. Yes it has larger tires and ground clearance but it's still setup on 3/4 ton suspension and with that diesel it's heavy. If there is a way to sink or slide you bet it will. And your spine is going to hate you on all but graded dirt roads.

As for the ATV's I wouldn't get rid of my rig for an ATV. When out wheeling I like to be able to sit and talk with my passengers. It's also nice when we get to the top of Hancock, Grizzly Lake, Tomichi, Antero and 3 o'clock showers rolled in, just had to roll up the windows for 10-15min and then continue on. We've passed a lot of very cold ATVers out on the trail.

Bottom line IMO unless it's a financial strain to keep the jeep, I'd say keep it. You have a great setup for family wheeling that will take you where you want to go.

Aaron
March 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
All good points...

A couple of other points. The diesel is definitely overkill for what I need it for at this point. I'm fully aware. If someone were to buy it, I would still entertain offers...

Assuming ATVs are not my thing and I miss having a Jeep to wheel, I still have a couple of options...
1. Get a small pickup. Tacos and Frontiers both tow 6500lbs these days which is plenty. I'd say bye bye to the Diesel at that point.
2. For way less than 6 months of JK payments, I could get a nice XJ which could wheel and tow what I need to tow better than my JK.

Roostercruiser
March 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
To each there own. Your Ford could be a nice expo rig. Sell the jeep fix the truck , tow the toys. Im partial to full size rigs anyways.

LostFedExMan
March 27th, 2012, 10:57 AM
2. For way less than 6 months of JK payments, I could get a nice XJ which could wheel and tow what I need to tow better than my JK.

I like this option most..... Gotta keep a Jeep in the family... It just wouldn't be the same without one... And I LOVE XJ's, if I didn't have a YJ, I'd have an XJ.

Brad
March 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Solve both and put a hemi in the Jeep! :thumb:

ColoJeeper
March 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
6.4 Hemi... 475 hp.... where is that drooling smiley?

Brody
March 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Will this suffice?

dr350jja
March 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Assuming ATVs are not my thing and I miss having a Jeep to wheel, I still have a couple of options...
1. Get a small pickup. Tacos and Frontiers both tow 6500lbs these days which is plenty. I'd say bye bye to the Diesel at that point.

I wouldn't want to pull 6,500 lbs with a Taco or a Frontier! That's the MAXIMUM towing capacity on the Taco, under ideal conditions. But I know it wouldn't be pulling it comfortably!!!

Aaron
March 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
My ATVs are probably 2-2.5k including the trailer. I think I'd be safe. The jk did some struggling to carry those with its 3.5k limit. And I know the 3.5k limit doesn't take into account big tires.

My camper would only be moved to a different spot on my property so I'd feel comfortable moving stuff around.

Heather
March 27th, 2012, 04:49 PM

I like this option most..... Gotta keep a Jeep in the family... It just wouldn't be the same without one... And I LOVE XJ's, if I didn't have a YJ, I'd have an XJ.
x2 on this. You'd have a new-to-you wheeling rig that's cheap and fun to modify, you'd be out from under the JK (and the diesel gone would free up more space - I'll be that thing covers a lot of real estate!), and have fun, fun, fun. I LOVE the XJs, especially for haulin' family! (Don't do anything that would make you wheel less with us! :D)

Beefy
March 28th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Personally, I think you're crazy. :D I love the 4-door JK. If I could've afforded it, that's what I'd have right now.

But, I've also really liked the XJ. Had one a long time ago and it was one of the best cars I've ever had. Either way, good luck with the deicision!

Hypoid
March 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Maybe you should get some seat time in every vehicle that you are considering.

Aaron
March 28th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I have seat time in all the vehicles..

Immediate plan is the truck which I own...

If I switch out of the truck and get a small truck, I've test driven the frontier. The taco test drive would come before I made a decision. I've owned an xj and loved it.

Aaron

sdhill
March 28th, 2012, 06:54 AM
In regards to lifting your F-250. You would have to run at least a 6in and 37'' setup to make it even come close to the capability of your Jeep. With that truck having the front TTB any lift over 4in often will lead to problems. On the other hand, since you say you want to do mild trails I think a 4in and 35'' setup would still work well for towing and a mild trail, assuming its got the 4:10's? IMO the turbo diesel is not the best thing to wheel with however the powerstrokes have a better torque curve than a Cummins would. Your welcome to take mine for a spin on the next trail run on whenever to see if it would be something you at all like. I think it's the closest thing anyone has got on here to what your talking about. :2c:

Java
March 29th, 2012, 06:28 AM
The XJ is a great vehicle, probably the most bang for your buck as a builder too. I've never owned one, just wondering if loaded with people and gear and towing ATVs if the 4.0 wouldn't be underpowered; what about a v8 Grand? They're common and buildable, and the WJs are sooooo sweet even stock...

Aaron
March 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I never even really thought about a grand... Nobody wheels those though :)

Hotchef181818
March 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Ever thought about replacing 1 car that has payments(jk) with 2 cheaper cars to cover all the bases? That's what I did for a long time. Maybe a tahoe for towing and camping and an xj for wheeling? That would still leave you with a chunk of money for maintenance and some upgrades plus a spare car when things go wrong or the ability to tow the xj, camper, atv's.

Andrew
March 29th, 2012, 08:21 AM
How long will it take you after selling the Jeep to decide you need to buy another one?

Aaron
March 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
How long will it take you after selling the Jeep to decide you need to buy another one?

Hard to say. Hence, ADD

Popsgarage
March 29th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Have you entertained the idea of trading him your JK for his TJ and some money and still keep the diesel.

mattzj98
March 29th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I never even really thought about a grand... Nobody wheels those though :)

HA! GOOD ONE! I know this one loser!