PDA

View Full Version : Long ways off but have questions about some trails

ctracy5
March 27th, 2012, 06:22 PM
My parents are coming to visit in early june and may want to drive a trail. I am looking for something fun but not crazy, scenery is more important I guess. I know it sounds boring lol. here are the trails I was looking at if anyone has run these trails I would like some feedback.

Storm Mountain
T-33A Plane Crash
Park Creek
Rock Creek
Bald Mountain

Something along the lines of China wall is probably the difficulty I am looking for. Or if anyone has a suggestion of a good trail not to far from Fort Collins let me know.

P.S. I don't know if this is the right place for a tread like this. Let me know if i need to move it out of run planning. Thanks

Squshiee1
March 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Red cone is amazing, but the decent on the way out is a little nerve racking. its not to hard, and has great views.

otisdog
March 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Park Creek is pretty rough and not much for scenery. If you want outstanding scenery go up I-70 to Georgetown and do Argentine Pass. McClellan Mt is also up there. Moderate trail.
Jim

Top of Argentine
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/Mix/ar16.jpg

Descent down Red Cone
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/Red%20Cone%202011/DCP_4457.jpg

ctracy5
March 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Red cone is amazing

That trail looks pretty good, is there more to it then just the hill, I want some rocks and stuff to play on. Also it is a little farther they may want to drive. Probly only looking at like a half day or so probably not a full day of driving.

Squshiee1
March 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
yea, its cool. there are quite a few rocks and obstacles. and its way closer than china wall. its about 20 minutes or less from cony island. i would say the trail takes about 4 hours. im guessing. just from what i remember. i would be happy to run it with you.

ctracy5
March 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Park Creek is pretty rough and not much for scenery. If you want outstanding scenery go up I-70 to Georgetown and do Argentine Pass. McClellan Mt is also up there. Moderate trail.

Looks like Argentine is a little more fun the McClellan Mt? From the pics I have seen I may want something a little tough or are there some fun spots on this trail?
How does Park Creek Compare to China if you know because I think if I want to do T-33A Plane Crash I have to run part of Park Creek?
Thanks

ctracy5
March 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM
i would be happy to run it with you.

If I do something down in your area that would be great!

Funrover
March 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Man there are a lot of trails you could do. How far are you wanting to drive?

ctracy5
March 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Stuff like Argentine Pass and McClellan Mt is about as far as I was thinking but if there is something really cool not to much farther I would think about it. Probably no more then 45 mins from Denver.

Rob
March 27th, 2012, 07:53 PM
How does Park Creek Compare to China if you know because I think if I want to do T-33A Plane Crash I have to run part of Park Creek?

T-33 is a fun trail, but it's low on vistas and scenery. You're pretty much in the trees the whole time.

Look at the map of the Bunce/T-33/Ironclads trails on TrailDamage. I didn't know about the name Park Creek, but I've been on that section of the trail. It's pretty gnarly. You don't have to do it to get to T33.

You might also consider Johnny Park Road and/or Pierson Park Road.

Aaron
March 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Old flowers road...
Seven mile...

Aaron

Jim
March 27th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'd probably join in too. Heck, in the summer, I don't imagine you'd be lacking to have folks join in.

I'd put Johny Park higher on the scenery scale than Old Flowers.

On Old Flowers, IMO, there's only one "vista" area and it's near the western end - a range of spots to view north and northwest. There is an old, rather trashed, cabin on Old Flowers, in a clearing so you're not in the trees the whole time (only perhaps 90+%). IIRC there are two areas I'd call clearings. Use the Google Earth files from TrailDamage to fly over each trail to look for "are we in trees" or are there clearings / ridges / peaks for views "out".

Edit: Though, the eastern end of Old Flowers, not technically the trail, but between the Buckhorn asphalt and the eastern trailhead is a nice spot of scenery to travel through (speed limit IIRC 15MPH and the distance is 3.3 miles, so there's time to smell the horses and cattle).

TrailDamage allows trail sorting by category. If you want'm sorted by scenery, here's the link (but you'll need to filter for the ones close to your criteria):
http://www.traildamage.com/search.php?s=scenery

otisdog
March 28th, 2012, 07:09 AM
There's two ways to head up to Argentine. Waldorf Rd is the easier main road but you can also drop down in and take Leavenworth Creek which is a little rougher and has creek crossings. At the end of those roads you get to where you can split to go up Argentine or McClellan or do both..Best to have someone along that knows the routes. There's a couple of neat mines up there also.

Red Cone is pretty rocky on the way to the top. You start on the end near Grant which is down hwy 285. When you drop down the VERY steep north side you end up on the top of Webster Pass. If it's open you can go back on Webster to where you started -this side is often snowed in very late. Or you can continue on north on Webster which brings you out in Montezuma. This exits out to 6 [Loveland Pass] and I-70 at Keystone.
Jim

Brody
March 28th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Like has been said...Argentine and look at traildamage.com sorted by scenic views. A lot of stuff down by BV has a high scenic value with low difficulty level. I would suggest Red Cone for people who are doing this for the first time, however scenic it is.

Stuff down by BV tends to open earlier that a lot of the higher trails close to town (Denver or Ft Collins), but a few others that haven't been mentioned or Yankee Hill, Kingston, Bill More, Mill Creek, Saxon Mountain, Ute Creek (same as Saxon pretty much. Enter on one, go out on the other) Duck Creek, Peru Creek, Caribou Creek....etc, and etc. Most of the lower trails in the foothills are buried in the trees with sporadic and limited views.

ctracy5
March 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM
well this gives me a lot to think about, anybody have a good idea of when most of the trails will start to open. I will want to do some scouting runs on my top choices to see which ones I like before they get here. But so far I am thinking one of these choices in order of preference:

1. Argentine/McClellan/Leavenworth Creek
2.Red Cone
3.Storm Mountain
4.T-33A Plane Crash ( My dad like plane stuff so I still think this might be a good choice.)

It looks like traildamage include Leavenworth Creek in with Argentine pass??
Anyways looks like we have some runs to do as soon as the Trails open. Thanks for all the help everybody, this group really is great!!!!!

Brad
March 28th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Did not see where they are coming from but keep in mind if you go high altitude there is such a thing as altitude sickness. They will need a day to acclimate to Denver prior to going to 11k plus feet. :thumb:

Jim
March 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM
anybody have a good idea of when most of the trails will start to open

Forest Roads Status
www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/home/?cid=fsm91_058362

Jim
March 28th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Did not see where they are coming from but keep in mind if you go high altitude there is such a thing as altitude sickness. They will need a day to acclimate to Denver prior to going to 11k plus feet.

Right. Each person reacts differently (some not at all). A buddy came out from Chicago (900 feet) and we drove up Mt. Evans. About 7/8 of the way up he started laughing at the smallest stuff. Interestingly, even at the top, he was back to typical.

Brody
March 28th, 2012, 09:27 AM
For that matter, as relates to high altitude, we have used Pepto Bismol and Midol to good effect every time we have done rock or ice climbs on the high peaks. As a for instance, if you do a route on the Diamond Face of Long's Peak, between roughly 13,000 and 14,000 feet, you are leaving Denver at 5,000' at 2AM, hiking roughly 6 miles in either to the base or higher for the rappels down to Broadway (roughly 13,000'), then doing hard physical rock climbing at altitude all day, then back down the 6 miles to the parking area. Not enough time to actually acclimatize and if altitude sickness is a real issue, it hedges the bet a little. Most I have had issues with is a persistent headache when I am climbing up high. That isn't too big a deal as the climbing tends to focus one's attention away from minor stuff like that. I usually bypass on the Pepto and/or Midol, as small headaches are the only thing that I occasionally get, but it sure helps the people I know who actually get sick from it.

My friend Ct did the 'Casual Route' on the Diamond face a number of years ago. He essentially puked his way up the whole climb, not too fun. Later he went back and took some Pepto and did the route again with no issues...

Don't ask me why it works...

ctracy5
March 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
They are coming from Washington state at sea level, but with that said my mom grew up around here and they visit pretty often, we do pikes peak or trailhead almost every time they come, plus we will be traveling to Yellowstone for a few days before coming back to Colorado and do this trip so hopefully the altitude will not be an issue as it never has been in the past.

Funrover
March 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Some fun scene/stocker friendly not to far away...
Loch Lomond
Apex
Argentine
Bill Moore

Closer yet
Sevenmile

Random idea
A loop I do to get out. I head up Dakan to hidden valley. Cross over Rampart continue on Hidden Valley. Take that to Fern Creek, Follow back to pampart Range Road. Take Rampart to Hotel Gultch. When you come out at Hotel Gultch follow around on Missouri Gultch to Illinois Gultch. and then back out to Highway 67. From 67 go towards Deckers and Over 67 back to Sedalia/Castle Roock area. Nothing really technical (except the stairs on Illinois that you can go around). I pack a lunch and a camera and just enjoy the day!

Pics of Mini Moab (Illinois) and some other random places that day. http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?12800-Playing-in-the-hills-Thursday&highlight=Illinois

Another link to that area http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?4964-Illinois-Gultch-Long-Hollow-Missouri-Gultch-and..&highlight=Illinois

xaza
March 30th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I have always found the views in Georgetown to be wonderful. I will be making a trip to that area this summer for sure. Georgetown also offers a rich history. You can walk around shopping at several small neat shops. My last 2 trips there have been busts. Blew the motor on my toy and then ripped front drive shaft out of diff on daily driver.

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I have always found the views in Georgetown to be wonderful.

At the moment I am thinking It will most likely be Argentine Pass/McClellan Mountain. Visiting Georgetown at the same time would be a great Idea. Wheeling in the morning and site seeing in the afternoon I think that sounds like a plan. have to see as it gets closer but so far this is my number one choice. A big thanks to everybody for the great ideas! :D

Rob
March 30th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Will Argentine Pass be open in early June? Might not get all the way to the top.

otisdog
March 31st, 2012, 07:02 AM
Will Argentine Pass be open in early June? Might not get all the way to the top.

There hasn't been a lot of snow this year so MAYBE !!
Jim

ctracy5
March 31st, 2012, 07:53 AM
th
Originally Posted by DrOldUnit

There hasn't been a lot of snow this year so MAYBE !!
Jim

This just seems funny to me to be talking about snow in June, being from Washington unless you where climbing Rainier you only thought about snow maybe in December even in the mountain passes.

otisdog
March 31st, 2012, 08:06 AM
th

This just seems funny to me to be talking about snow in June, being from Washington unless you where climbing Rainier you only thought about snow maybe in December even in the mountain passes.

Some of these high trails don't get melted off until late in June. Heck, sometimes there are some - like Mosquito Pass - that never get open completely in a heavy snow year.
Jim

Bunyon & Babe
April 3rd, 2012, 12:24 AM
DIAMOX ,, have your parents look into gettimg a prescription for Diamox . It is a mild diaretic that will cause an ever so slight increase in respiratory rate thus increasing O2 intake slightly . It is a very commonly prescribed intervention for people comming to altitude. IT WORKS

Andrew
April 3rd, 2012, 06:43 AM
If you want some company, let me know. I'll most likely be free in June. I haven't been out in a while and need to get back out!

Red Cone is a blast but early June is probably too early to run that trail.

ctracy5
April 3rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah I think at this point I've got some good ideas but we can talk in circles trying to get it planned out now only to have trails not open/etc. So for now I think I will stew on some idea probably start talking about it in mid may and try to hammer out the details.

Ironhide
April 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Depending on how far you want to drive and how Crazy.. Kelly flatts and 7 mile road,, Georgia Pass, and Just funnin around Idahoe Springs is fun too..

Ironhide
April 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
We would be down too.

otisdog
April 15th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I'll go also if at all possible.
Jim

Errinjan
April 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
When we have friends out we take them over to Montezuma just outside Keystone. We take CO rd 5 (Deer Creek) up to about 13,000 ft. Fantastic vistas in all directions including a great view of Red Cone. Trail is rated has a 3 3 on traildamage.com and there is lots of optional spurs along the way.

otisdog
April 16th, 2012, 06:09 AM
When we have friends out we take them over to Montezuma just outside Keystone. We take CO rd 5 (Deer Creek) up to about 13,000 ft. Fantastic vistas in all directions including a great view of Red Cone. Trail is rated has a 3 3 on traildamage.com and there is lots of optional spurs along the way.

Yes that is a fantastic area up there with views, goats and many trails to play on. One of my favorite areas.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/montezuma%2007/sj34.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/montezuma%2007/sj33.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/montezuma%2007/

Jim

Brody
April 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah I think at this point I've got some good ideas but we can talk in circles trying to get it planned out now only to have trails not open/etc. So for now I think I will stew on some idea probably start talking about it in mid may and try to hammer out the details.

If you go to our trail resources section on the forum, you will find a lot of good trail information. As a secondary source of trail information, use the Traildamage.com site. This will give you a very good idea of when the trails actually open up. Use the date for the members trail reports for a general guide. As a 3rd source use any of the 4x4 trail books available pretty much anywhere, starting with Charles Well's stuff. These will also help with dates. Both Traildamage and Wells' books have phone numbers to call for the local ranger districts. You can simply pick up the phone and talk to a ranger there to get a better idea of when the trails open. Dates are going to be a guess unless you actually talk to a ranger as the openings of the trails are based on snow pack.

Flyer
April 17th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Great thread. I have done Redcone and it was stunning all the way to Breck. I was on a dirt bike last year and did thinking it will be easy and scenic. Scenic- yes, Easy- NO! :)

I will say that the last climb up to Redcone was brutal and the descent about gave me a heart attack. I am not sure if Jeeps go that way...seems awful narrow and steep and loose. ATVs do, I'm sure. These other options sounds like the ticket.

ajk150
May 6th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Awesome thread guys, I'm starting to get an idea of where to take my parents when he comes into town. When do most of these trails open would you say? Given the fact that this year hasn't really been all that snowy? Is there a specific time that they open or just more once the snow melts off them?

Also, does anyone know if Argentine Pass is open for the season yet? I know its early still, but with the winter we had its possible.

Errinjan
May 6th, 2012, 06:44 PM
We hit Kingston Peak today. We made it to the top before getting stopped by snow at 39°51'0.42"N 105°39'23.22"W Beautiful up there!

ctracy5
May 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I'm starting to get an idea of where to take my parents when he comes into town.

When will they be in town maybe we can take our parents out together lol

ajk150
May 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM
When will they be in town maybe we can take our parents out together lol

This weekend, although i talked to my dad and time may be tight because they want to see my sister and whatnot, so its up in the air still.

ctracy5
May 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM
to bad mine are coming in June, I am still waiting to see what is open before I decide where to go.

Backcountryislife
May 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Awesome thread guys, I'm starting to get an idea of where to take my parents when he comes into town. When do most of these trails open would you say? Given the fact that this year hasn't really been all that snowy? Is there a specific time that they open or just more once the snow melts off them?

Also, does anyone know if Argentine Pass is open for the season yet? I know its early still, but with the winter we had its possible.

Right now it's not open, and with the snow we've had up here the last couple days I'm guessing you'll be looking at next weekend for it to open up, minimum. Before this snow (not sure how much is up high, just looked at the cotrip cams at tunnel, and looks minimal) I would have said you could get to santiago by this weekend... but I doubt that now, temps look cool all week.

Ctracy, when you come up on fri I can show you a couple quick pokes you can hit for something "tech" to add to a day up at Argentine. Even taking Mclellan, it's relatively low key, but it's a great trail. Right now Mclellan is blocked much lower than the main road... again will likely change in 2 weeks.

ctracy5
May 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Sounds good man, hopefully all goes well when my hubs get here on Thursday should be an easy swap.

Backcountryislife
May 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Well... I'm still waiting for my steering rack to come in from Ontario... so you're not the only one with fingers crossed!!! :D

ctracy5
May 8th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Sweet. My buddy picked up a 95 4runner on 31 Dynapros ATMs yesterday so it may be coming with us.

Backcountryislife
May 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM
New rack is in, and new shocks/ adapters go in tomorrow. I'll be good to go for sure now. I'll go pick it up friday morning & be back here by noon. :D

Stoked to have some more flex... should help a bit!

ajk150
May 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
New rack is in, and new shocks/ adapters go in tomorrow. I'll be good to go for sure now. I'll go pick it up friday morning & be back here by noon. :D

Stoked to have some more flex... should help a bit!

flex is way overrated... you don't need that haha

Backcountryislife
May 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Thanks CHRIS.... :lmao: The pic that he posted of that H3 is about what I'm shooting for. Can't afford a SAS, so I'm gonna have to work on pulling what I can from the thing as is! You gonna come up & play this weekend?

ajk150
May 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
You gonna come up & play this weekend?

I might, idk i need to get ready for my 30+ hr drive home, so i can't really risk anything. We will see though, gotta finish some other stuff up first

Backcountryislife
May 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Well... going out with Ctracy5 tomorrow (edit, meant friday), then planning on wheeling somewhere on sat.

WDoG
May 13th, 2012, 12:44 AM
You end up going anywhere on sat Kaleb?

Brody
May 13th, 2012, 04:35 AM

I agree. People were talking about RTI ramps and flex awhile back. I thought I would post a picture to show what some REAL flex was. This is a picture of my rig flexed in my driveway:

glacierpaul
May 13th, 2012, 06:46 AM

I agree. People were talking about RTI ramps and flex awhile back. I thought I would post a picture to show what some REAL flex was. This is a picture of my rig flexed in my driveway:
Best flex shot there is Pete!

Backcountryislife
May 13th, 2012, 08:11 AM
You end up going anywhere on sat Kaleb?

yep, did a snow run...

up trail creek, then hooked up with lamartine
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/539991_3207421666505_1295088056_32326700_334373307 _n.jpg

, and headed over to the top of spring creek. We hiked down to the boulder garden to see how it looked down there... pretty darn wet & snowy.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/582317_3207419506451_1295088056_32326697_835087910 _n.jpg

Got back to the top & ran across a flock of Zj's that were a little lost & about to go down spring creek by accident. Had one guy that was pretty much bone stock... did not belong on SC in the snow at ALL... so showed them a different way out, played at lamartine mine & at the brazil site a bit, got some more fun folks to go wheel with!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/560257_3207422866535_1295088056_32326701_210817085 4_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536416_3207425266595_1295088056_32326703_731220784 _n.jpg

Showed Chris (Ctracy) around friday afternoon too, had a great time, played up lower spring creek then took a different way out. Camera died or I'd have some pics... he's got some though. We had a blast, just good old dorking around!

Might go try red elephant today, it was still snowed in up top weekend before last, so not sure how far we'll get.

Btw Brody... do you think you could help me get some of that kind of flex out of the h3.... that boulder might be a stretch for my truck :D

Backcountryislife
May 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
FYI, haven't seen anyone post that it's open, but you can now get over saxon & connect to spring creek/ cascade area. There's some snow & a few sidehilled spots... but they're notched enough right now that they're relatively safe.

The Gtown side of saxon was almost completely dry, this was about 2/3 of the way up.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/551127_3212840721978_1295088056_32330472_993699767 _n.jpg

Just shy of the top, laughing at my flexless machine...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555273_3211639251942_1295088056_32329720_406830114 _n.jpg

The snow made some of the boring trails a tad more interesting!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/485821_3213410096212_1295088056_32330725_448811995 _n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/389664_3213406816130_1295088056_32330723_695066199 _n.jpg

Once you get past Spring creek on cascade heading E, it dries up almost completely, the last of the snow is just after the top of SC.

Of course, then the snow moved in & it started dumping on us right after this pic
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/577535_3213400415970_1295088056_32330717_125697914 4_n.jpg

It's beautiful out today though (was 27 this am) and the snow is melting fast. went from 27 to 64 in about 3 hours today...

Should be a nice afternoon, anybody want to go play?????

Chris/ AJ, Saxon is a fun trail with a lot of variety (shelf road, woods, semi-tech, some bigger stuff on the edge of trail to play on, lots of offshoots) that would be a fun run for either of you to take the folks up. Hop on trail at Gtown, come out by my house (turkey or trail) or down by hwy 103, then you could cruise up to Mt evans or echo lake... a nice day cruise, and a bit more interesting from a few aspects than argentine (though you'd miss the highest post office in the country...)