PDA

View Full Version : NEW RUN DUE TO CLOSURE (MILLER ROCK)

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Here is the new plan for Tomorrow

Miller Rock/Bruce combo

Meeting Time: 11:00 AM

Meeting Place:

Diamond Shamrock
4206 Ute Highway
Longmont
(303) 823-5480

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215891218919713328188.0004bc7c4764aee1f2fc c&msa=0&ll=40.221657,-105.263164&spn=0.003461,0.008256&iwloc=lyrftr:m,11431064331376644765,40.221227,-105.263743

Plan A: Miller Rock

Plan B: if miller rock is unsafe is just to much snow/ice to even have fun: Bunce that's open and then Ironclads, then hop over and try Rock Creek

So the plan is to meet at the Miller Rock Trailhead at 11 AM. Hopefully from the trail head or not to far up the trail we can asset the trail conditions, if the trail is to snowy/icy for the run to be fun/safe we will move on to the "Bruce combo"

CB Channel is 4

Here are the links to the trails

Plan A
Miller Rock (Diamond Shamrock at 11 AM) - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=104

Plan B
Bunce School Road - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=123

Ironclads - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=175

Rock Creek - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=244

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Everyone get the word out about the new Run!!!!!!:blah:

Jim
March 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Here's a google Map to the trail head reference from Trail Damage:

http://g.co/maps/mphf7

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I am throwing out a HUGE THANK YOU to everybody. This was my first time planning anything and even with this fire garbage :bang: we are still gonna make something happen. This really is a great group of people on this site.

:frontrange4x4:

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM
From the Map it looks like the best way in is on Co Rd 30/ highway 66

Correct me if I am wrong.
Directions: Take I-25 to 66 which runs along the North edge of Longmont (66 is also called UTE highway or Co Rd 30). Head west on 66 until it meets 36 and 7, then take 7 which starts south then turns West (also callled S St Vrain Dr). Follow 7 until Co Rd 103 N, take this road South to Co Rd 103 (also called Riverside Dr) then head east to the Trail head that is on Co Rd 103.

See everyone there at 11 AM

RockyMtnHigh
March 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
This was my first time planning anything and even with this fire garbage :bang: we are still gonna make something happen.

I am assuming you saw the instructions on trail damage to call the Glacier View Ranch and make sure the exit gate is unlocked for Miller Rock, right? Assuming of course the trail is passable that far down.

Brody
March 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Unless things have changed, the trail head pretty much starts in someone's yard, so you may well want to change the meeting place to somewhere other than the actual trail head. Rob (DrOldUnit) may have some good suggestions as he has done this trail a lot more recently than I have.

You are doing fine on the trail run organizing, blah, blah.....:thumb:

Even though this trail is in Boulder County and it is close to the foothills it does not get a lot of traffic because it is difficult to find. It starts behind a house in Raymond on a track that seems more like a driveway and less like a trail, though it starts climbing right away.
You may need to contact the Glacier View Ranch to request that they unlock the gate on their end so you may exit the Miller Rock trail. They will open the gate when necessary. Request that they unlock the gate rather than going back out the way you came in -- the trail is narrow and steep, and you will not have the right-of-way on your way down.

You guys have fun!
The trailhead is behind a red house on the left as you get to Raymond. There is nowhere to air down so you must do it on the trail or prepare much earlier. It is instantly narrow and steep as you climb up to Miller Rock.

Rob
March 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Unless things have changed, the trail head pretty much starts in someone's yard, so you may well want to change the meeting place to somewhere other than the actual trail head. Rob (DrOldUnit) may have some good suggestions as he has done this trail a lot more recently than I have.

That was going to be my suggestion. You might want to meet at the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons and head to the trail together. There's no room to park at the trailhead and if you pull onto the trail, you can't be seen from the street.

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a plan, do anyone know the address or cross streets of the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons? If you do know the address could you also post a map if you know how?
Is there anyway to edit this in the heading of the thread as to not create anymore confusion around this trip?

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I am assuming you saw the instructions on trail damage to call the Glacier View Ranch and make sure the exit gate is unlocked for Miller Rock, right? Assuming of course the trail is passable that far down.

Nope but I am calling them now to check on that. I will also ask if they know anything about the status of the trail.

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 01:31 PM
the gate will be open from 2-6 pm. They also said that if we determine the trail to be unsafe and we don't make it they will close the gate for us and not to worry about it. she said that they still have some snow on their access roads but she didn't know the condition of the jeep trail. So the plan still stands and show up and see what the trail looks like.

Brody
March 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Be clear on the meeting time if has changed as well as on the actual meeting place. Let me or Rob know if you need anything else changed. FWIW, I don't know how to do the "insert map" thing, either...Never worked for me.

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Well to save on confusion If we could only change the meeting place to the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons The meeting time at 11 will still work. The address I found was this so if you could please include it in the change.

4206 Ute Highway
Longmont, CO 80503

RockyMtnHigh
March 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Map and meeting place added! :thumb:

Kory
March 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Looking forward to this trail. I hope the snow does not keep us from running it. :)

Brody
March 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
PLEASE NOTE THE NEW MEETING PLACE! SAME TIME, BUT AT THE DIAMOND SHAMROCK!

Have a great day!

Maroon1
March 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Well to save on confusion If we could only change the meeting place to the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons The meeting time at 11 will still work. The address I found was this so if you could please include it in the change.

4206 Ute Highway
Longmont, CO 80503

Lyons? This address is in Longmont?

Kory
March 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Lyons? This address is in Longmont?

Someone feel free to correct me if I am worng but the gas station we are meeting at is near lyons and has a longmont address. There has been many planned runs that this gas station is the meeting spot and that is the correct address.

Brody
March 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Same Diamond Shamrock. Longmont address, on the east side of Lyons. Look at the map.

1tongorilla
March 30th, 2012, 04:07 PM
The Longmont adress threw me off until I looked at the map closely.Another point to make,if you turn onto CoRd 103N before reaching Peak to Peak,looks to shave alot off from going around to River Drive.

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The Longmont adress threw me off until I looked at the map closely.Another point to make,if you turn onto CoRd 103N before reaching Peak to Peak,looks to shave alot off from going around to River Drive.

I think at this point will meet at the Gas Station and work it out from there. Be at the Gas Station by 11 am I want to be out of there pretty quick after that so we have as much time to play as possible. Who knows if we get gone fast enough we could hit the other trails a little see how they are so close.

Beefy
March 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Wish I could go. :frown:

My first day off in three and a half months is on the 8th. Would like to get out, but there's not much around here that's open yet!

otisdog
March 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm gonna pass guys. I did Miller several times last year so kinda burned out on it. Also have to think about the cost of gas. It's definitely going to keep me closer to home this year. I live in SE Aurora.
You all have fun.
Jim

ctracy5
March 30th, 2012, 08:07 PM
No problem guys sorry for the confusion. Well at this point I will see everyone in the morning at the Gas Station, hopefully all goes well and no more surprises. :bowdown: Again another big thank you to everyone who is going and everyone for helping figure this thing out. See you all in the morning!!!!

Gossamer
March 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Have fun ! This is a fun little trail :thumb:

Rob
March 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM
One quick tip on the Diamond Shamrock, if you don't already know where it is. Yes, it does have a Longmont address, but it's closer to Lyons. The Google map, however, shows it closer to Lyons than it really is. If you're coming down Colo. 66 (Ute Highway), it's just past U.S. 36 on the left, right after a curve. It's hard to miss. Just make sure you're in the left lane when you pass 36, so you don't have to make a quick lane change.

Wish I could go, but our new Irish wolfhound is being delivered tomorrow at 11.

1tongorilla
March 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
I've been to the station a few times,just didn't know the adress was Longmont.

Maroon1
March 31st, 2012, 07:32 PM
Shovel found today. It's a green army one. Let me know if it is yours. Nice meeting everyone today.

Kory
March 31st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Shovel found today. It's a green army one. Let me know if it is yours. Nice meeting everyone today.

Is it about 2 feet long and folds up? If so it's mine. :)

Maroon1
March 31st, 2012, 08:17 PM
It is. I'm in Thornton and can meet up anytime

Made it back with no problems. Good thing he had a 2 battery system.

Heather
March 31st, 2012, 08:18 PM
So relieved about this!!

Kory
March 31st, 2012, 09:40 PM
It is. I'm in Thornton and can meet up anytime

If you could please just hang on to it until we do another run together. Gas would cost more than the shovels value. :)

Glad you guys got home without issues.