PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my excessive wheel stands.

Kory
April 9th, 2012, 06:08 PM
As some of you know I have a big issue with keeping my front two wheels out of the air when I am on the trails. It happens pretty much every time I go out and it's annoying.

I am lifted 6.5" on 35" tires. I have a 35" spare on my gate and a rear 8.8 axle. Everything up front is stock. No aftermarket bumper or winch.

Is my ass end just too heavy and I'm lifted too high causing the wheel stands? If I were to get an aftermarket front bumper and winch would this solve my problem?

Someone at work today said he doesn't think I am flexing fully or correctly in front and that is what is causing the wheel stands. Thoughts on that?

Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

Rick
April 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Everything up front is stock.
sway bar disconnect?????

Jackie
April 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Your Jeep makes your ass look big!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!::hibye::D:

Kory
sway bar disconnect?????

Yes my sway bar is almost always disconnected on the trails. :)

Heather
Matt said something about maybe your shocks not being long enough?

ETA: Never mind, I see this has been gone over on FB. :lmao:

And, if you take away the wheelstands...where's our entertainment? :confused: (kidding!)

Kory
April 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Your Jeep makes your ass look big!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!::hibye::D:

I have no ass. :D :lmao:

Rick
April 9th, 2012, 06:17 PM
your shocks not being long enough?
x3.

Kory
April 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Matt said something about maybe your shocks not being long enough?

ETA: Never mind, I see this has been gone over on FB. :lmao:

And, if you take away the wheelstands...where's our entertainment? :confused: (kidding!)

Ya I posted this about two minutes before he wrote that on FB.

I guess I'll just have to start playing the accordion or something for entertainment. :p

mattzj98
April 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Kory, swing by my place, I will get your shocks off and we will flex your rig out. Then we will measure the fully extended lenght and fully compressed, and get you some new CORRECT size shocks! :) just let me know when you're free!

4Runninfun
April 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
if you could post up some more details about your setup it would be helpful.

Robert B
April 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM
the 3 things i know of that will cause that are
1 sway bar (urs is not connected so no prob there)
2 short shocks .....find something to drive on and flex until wheel in air then mark that spot.......back down unbolt one end of shock and drive up again until wheel in air and see if it flexes more or not....
3 how stiff are your springs??? i have seen some that will compress some but they dont extend cause the truck is too light for the spring...

oh also how are your brake lines up there????? could hang up on those too but some just rip out and others will hold the axle up :) ....

but yes best way to check is just flex it out

mattzj98
April 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
his shocks are pretty extended on flat ground.. he needs longer ones.. I can't remember for sure, but I think when I was looking at it, brake lines were ok..

Robert B
April 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
hey matt you notice my shocks from my shackle flip pics???

mattzj98
April 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM
No I haven't.. ?

Robert B
April 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
No I haven't.. ?
lol look at my build thread :p probly doesnt help you guys but i know where a ramp is down here in the springs you could use to test his truck :D

Squshiee1
April 9th, 2012, 08:44 PM
how about kory fixes his shocks and i will weld mine in the position that they are in!

mushroomax
April 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
You're good, just pick a different line:D

scout man
April 9th, 2012, 11:13 PM
When you measure those shocks, if you find you need new ones, shoot me a PM with the measurements, and what type of ends the shock has. I have about 25 pairs of brand new shocks in my garage that I will sell for cheap. Chances are I have what you need.

mattzj98
April 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Do u have some really long shocks, eye to eye? I could use longer ones in my back end

Brody
April 10th, 2012, 06:16 AM
What everyone else had mentioned about the shocks. Something is limiting your travel and those are the likely culprit.

Popsgarage
April 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Not to mention, but at six and a half inches of suspension lift, the front end is going to start running out of room to drop if you're still running a short arm suspension.

Rick
April 10th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I have about 25 pairs of brand new shocks in my garage that I will sell for cheap.
ill measure mine tonight and shoot you a pm/ what brands are they????

Kory
April 10th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the info. I need to get this fixed. It is driving me nuts.

Aaron
April 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM
In the end, something is limiting your down travel. If your sway bar is disconnected, shocks are the most logical thing. When at full extension, you should almost be able to move the spring around on its perch. You could also be binding on the control arms... The way to see if it is a shock issue is to put the front on pretty high jack stands on the frame, support the front axle with a floor jack on one side. Disconnect the sway bar links. Take off the front tire on that side. Slowly let the jack down, your jeep should allow the axle to drop way down. If it doesn't, jack it back up, disconnect one end of the front shock, and let it down again. If it drops a LOT more, then you have a shock travel issue. If it does not drop a lot more, there is some binding somewhere else.

Your jeep should flex like there is no tomorrow. I bet Matt is right and you need longer shocks.

scout man
April 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Matt - I have some real long stuff in eye to eye, youll have to let me know what actual measurements you need though

Tricky - Its been so long seen I have sold any I would have to look. I know I have a long pair of Skyjackers, trailmasters, and Monroe.

If you guys let me know measurements and end types, I can let you know what I have in that range.

gm4x4lover
April 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Not to mention, but at six and a half inches of suspension lift, the front end is going to start running out of room to drop if you're still running a short arm suspension.

This right here. Check to see if it is binding. If you still are on short arms I bet those things are pointing at the ground.

Kory
April 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm running the 5.5" rubicon express long arm lift.

Kory
April 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Matt and everyone else that suggested shocks was correct. I currently run the Bilstien's and the part number I am running fits the 4" long arm lift which has 24.6 inches of travel. I need the Bilstien's that fit the 5"-6" lift and those have 28.4" of travel. Thanks for the help folks.

scout man
April 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Assuming you need shocks with an eye on both ends, I have three options for you. I have a pair of skyjackers and a pair of Trailmasters that are 30" extended and 17.5" compressed. Also have another pair of trailmasters that are 30.5" long and 18" compressed. I would measure with it compressed too (or look at the dirt mark on your current shocks and measure the furthest ot compressed) to make sure these arent too long and end up limiting your uptravel, but at 13" of travel, I bet any of these shocks would work for you. Let me know if you are interested. $30 a pair for the trail masters and $40 a pair for the skyjackers OBO.

If they have a post on one end, I dont have anything long enough for you.

Popsgarage
April 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'm running the 5.5" rubicon express long arm lift.

Then it's probably the shocks.

Kory
April 10th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Assuming you need shocks with an eye on both ends, I have three options for you. I have a pair of skyjackers and a pair of Trailmasters that are 30" extended and 17.5" compressed. Also have another pair of trailmasters that are 30.5" long and 18" compressed. I would measure with it compressed too (or look at the dirt mark on your current shocks and measure the furthest ot compressed) to make sure these arent too long and end up limiting your uptravel, but at 13" of travel, I bet any of these shocks would work for you. Let me know if you are interested. $30 a pair for the trail masters and $40 a pair for the skyjackers OBO.

If they have a post on one end, I dont have anything long enough for you.

Thanks for the info. I have to be honest, regarding fitment I have no clue if my current bilstiens have an eye on both ends. I'll see what I can figure out. :)

Hypoid
April 10th, 2012, 10:55 PM
You guys are missing the obvious: His tars don't reach the ground. The solution is plain and simple, he needs bigger tars. :D

Popsgarage
April 11th, 2012, 12:22 AM
His tars don't reach the ground.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: