PDA

View Full Version : How does a winch brake work?

Jim
April 13th, 2012, 10:39 PM
The question of how a winch brake works has been rattling around my brain for a bit. I have seen exploded views of winch parts (and it looks like the brake is internal to the drum - between the motor output and the gearbox). I've seen mentioned that some brake designs are better for use with synthetic lines (the drum does not heat up - where's the brake at in those - the gearbox?).

How do the brakes work / what makes them apply & release?

Brody
April 14th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Hey Jim

It is a clutch style brake (planetary winches) usually with a spring, and four 4(Warn) brake pads (or a 'cone' style brake) that go on the main shaft engine side. Essentially, it is a one way brake, which is why it is so critical that the cable gets wound only one way. The pads/cone encompass the shaft and when the winch is reeling in the pads are loose on the shaft. When the shaft tries to go the opposite direction, the clutch/spring pushes on the pads causing them to compress on the shaft. Keep in mind, too, that the brakes are only rated to "hold" 50% of the rating.

Here is a link to the Warn 9.5 manual that has a bit more. Page 17, I think. This shows the 'cone' style rather than the 4 separate pads in the pictures. Both work on the same principle.:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/Manuals,%20articles/Service_Manual_Work_Sheet_XD9.pdf (http://www.tacomaterritory.com/%7Eccorley/Manuals,%20articles/Service_Manual_Work_Sheet_XD9.pdf)

Here are pictures that show the pieces, if that helps.

Jim
April 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks Pete,

That helps greatly. They're much the same as the cone-pad brakes inside the rear wheel hub on a single speed bicycle. Your note and the PDF (pages 5 & 6) also explain why the cable should be wound in one direction - it's not to exit the fairlead properly but moreso for proper brake operation to keep the motor from over speeding during under-load winch out (vs in) rotation.

Scrolling through the PDF I also see how the free-spool/powered clutch operates via sliding the slide gear.