PDA

View Full Version : Tire Opinions?

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM
So, tire time!

anyone on here running Pit Bull Rockers or any other Pitbuls? Rick?

Or is it worth looking into super swampers.. do these always dry out and crack horribly?

Any other big tire for a 15 inch rim?

Thanks for your input!!

Coonburger
April 17th, 2012, 06:53 PM
pitbulls are great tires from what i hear grip very well but they dont measure up to the advertised size like a 39.5 actually measures like a 37, there is alot of information about them doing that all over the net. super swampers are nice specially the iroks they are amazing even the bias ply work very well on the road but wear alot faster than pitbulls do from what i understand.

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM
dont super swampers do the same thing though? I've had 38.5 boggers but don't think they actually measured that.. maybe im wrong though

Coonburger
April 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
there not near as bad as pittbulls are there are alot of threads if u wanna look em up the difference is amazing. super swampers from what i see measure what they say. my tsl 39.5 measure pretty darn close and they are bout half tread. One guy on a thread commented that his 39.5 iroks actually measured 39.5 even with 15 psi. its a give and take it just helps you know what tire to order size wise if ur looking for a that size. The threads on pitbulls and the size difference is pretty big. ill try to find one of em i looked at and post it up in a sec.

RidgeRunner
April 17th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I'm in the same boat, looking for a 37" tire for a 15" wheel. I'm leaning toward pitbulls, never been a big fan of Super Swampers, just my personal preferance. What I really want are BFG KM2s, had them on my Jeep in 33"s but dont want to drop the $ on 17" wheels to get 37"s for the 4Runner. I think Josh (Haku) has them on his truck, I'll ask him and post back.

Coonburger
April 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM
mine are good there bias ply just flat spotting when cold, now the biasply iroks dont flat spot i absolutely love them, when it comes between iroks or pitbulls its a matter of preference both are amazing rock tires. now i remeber asking haku about his and he told me he had to get a little wear on the pitbulls and then they just hook like crazy. with my iroks never really had that issue , like i said though iam a little biased towards em.

ctracy5
April 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Don't know if the sizing works but when I was looking at tires I really liked the Kumho MT KL71 but they were out of my price range. This what I want to get after my lift in a 33 or 35. They get awesome review all over the place and look sweet!!!

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Kumho-Road-Venture-MT-KL71.htm

Coonburger
April 17th, 2012, 07:21 PM
ive ran swampers for a long time now if u dont run em often enough they will dry rot and over time they will start to crack on the sidewalls if not ran, boggers i didnt like i put a ordinary stick through a sidewall on them *way to soft* when i was chasing cattails in highschool *aka mud bogging*. tsl's are alright not my fav either. Iroks amazing love em to death thick ass sidewalls but the compound is softer and ull rub the nobs off crawling. from what i understand pitbulls dont do this as much. id go on the other forums and look at the debates on em and see what u get. The mtrs get mentioned among other tires but it always comes back to the debate of iroks vs pitbull rockers. either way u cant go wrong. there is a set of pitbulls on 15 inch rims on craigs list.... one sec

Coonburger
April 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM
only ones i can find darn http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/2896355879.html ill keep a eye out

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM
my tiny 35s are KM2s, absolutely love them, best tire I've ever had but also I am not spending more money on another set of rims when nothings wrong with mine.. Pibul or swampers.. haha

Rick
April 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
mine are good there bias ply just flat spotting when cold, now the biasply iroks dont flat spot i absolutely love them, when it comes between iroks or pitbulls its a matter of preference both are amazing rock tires. now i remeber asking haku about his and he told me he had to get a little wear on the pitbulls and then they just hook like crazy. with my iroks never really had that issue , like i said though iam a little biased towards em.
Still new w/ pitbulls but dad swears by the rockers and so far I like em

Robert B
April 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
i like my dunlop mud rovers :) but they dont even make then in 35s anymore it seems :frown: but i did like my dads ssr super swampers :) quite on the road and good offroad

RidgeRunner
April 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
my tiny 35s are KM2s, absolutely love them, best tire I've ever had but also I am not spending more money on another set of rims when nothings wrong with mine.. Pibul or swampers.. haha

I agree, my teeny tiny 33" KM2s were the best tire I've ever had. I'd love to run them in 37" on the 4Runner but can't justify the cost of 17" wheels and damn near $400/tire.

Beefy
April 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Let me know when you're looking to sell the 35s (assuming they're not spoken for already). If I have the cash, I'll pick them up for sure. They're very much needed. The cash part is the unknown. :lmao:

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Spoken for already, sorry man! If it doesn't go through ure close 2nd!

Beefy
April 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Spoken for already, sorry man! If it doesn't go through ure close 2nd!

I figured, but wanted to throw it out there.

Good luck with the tire search! :)

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm getting upset! Both pit bulls and swampers dropped 38s! And 38.5!! What the ..

Rick
April 17th, 2012, 08:26 PM
mine are 39 1/2. cut more fenders(lol)

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Whats your lug pattern Rick?

Rick
April 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Whats your lug pattern Rick?**** i dont know!!!!!!!8 lugs. come by and try em on

Rick
April 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
come by any time ,its just sittin in the driveway

mattzj98
April 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
PM me an address and ikk swing by and try them on! Probably not tomorrow but Thursday if you're avaliable

southpaws3
April 18th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Tonka toy has pitbulls (he loves them) !!!!! I agree totally w/ coon but i've never had on the pitbulls i have used the mickey thompson claws i think the are pretty good too . Look on
groupbuy4x4.com they have some good deals if you buy a full set .good luck

MelloYello
April 18th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I have been running 31" Super Swampers LTB's for for 3 years now with no complaints. The size is true. The rig sits outside year round in the sun and no cracking. I did get the inside lugs siped and they hook up great, even on ice/snow. The "flat spot" goes away when you drive it for a minute, NO big deal. I like the fact that when I air down to 10psi, you can't even tell. Which for a small tire, helps with rock clearance. I would buy them and recommend them again.

Popsgarage
April 19th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I've got a friend who swore by the Mickey Thompson MTZ. He absolutely loved 'em. Did decent in the snow as well. The IROC's and Pit Bulls get good reviews as well. The IROC's are snow and ice grippers as well.