PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Tires (Same Axle)

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm going to be needing tires soon, but I'm only going to need new tires on one axle. Basically, the front tires are much worse than the rear because of some alignment issues that I let go without fixing. :redface:

My plan was to only buy one new tire, since my spare is brand new, and use one of the current tires as my spare. The issue I have is that all of my tires (including the brand new spare) are BFG M/T KM (not KM2). Can I mix a KM2 tire with a KM on the same axle? For some reason, I'm thinking that wouldn't work too well and I can't find new KM tires anywhere.

Any input would be appreciated. :thumb:

Jeepfreak
April 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Generally if the tires are the same width, height ( measure with a tape) and close to the same tread it will be ok. Not all tires wear the same, obviously, as you stated and it dosn't hurt your gears but if the tires are way different then you could have problems.

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Generally if the tires are the same width, height ( measure with a tape) and close to the same tread it will be ok. Not all tires wear the same, obviously, as you stated and it dosn't hurt your gears but if the tires are way different then you could have problems.

Size should be pretty much the same considering same brand and everything, but I honestly don't know what the big difference is between the two.

shite man...get 4 new 35s and sell the others :p

I would love to, but that's not within the budget at the moment. The new spare was going to be my "cheap" way out, but not sure if that's even an option anymore. :frown:

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
damn :(

Yea, if I could, I'd probably get away from the BFG and go with something else. For the time being, I'm looking to go as inexpensive as possible. :)

mattzj98
April 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Just cause of price tag to them or because you don't like them?

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Just cause of price tag to them or because you don't like them?

Not a big fan of them. I see other tires perform better in the same conditions and on the same obstacles. Maybe the KM2 is better than the original? I don't really know, but I'm hoping I can at least mix the two for the time being. :redface:

mattzj98
April 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
The km2s got better reviews than any other tire on the markey right now..

The general rule is not to mix tires on same axle because they have different handling characterstics and may cause pulling in rain as an example.. Or stick differently in snow

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
The km2s got better reviews than any other tire on the markey right now..

The general rule is not to mix tires on same axle because they have different handling characterstics and may cause pulling in rain as an example.. Or stick differently in snow

Makes sense and that's what I was afraid of. :frown:

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Wow, I just looked at pictures of the two different tires and they look very different. This probably isn't an option. :frown:

Backcountryislife
April 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
If budget is a big concern, one option that may be a possibility is going to treadwrights. I've got tons of miles on them on roady, but now have a year on a set of 35's with a lot of offroad miles & the guys I wheel with are very impressed with them... they've held up to my poor driving offroad & me pretending it's my TDI on the road!
The biggest thing... they're about 1/2 the cost of the competition. When I was looking to go to 35's I looked around & just couldn't justify the cost otherwise.

It's also pretty cool to give your $$ to the guy making your tires, rather than some big huge corporation... I like that about them too!

Best shot I can find of mine, 35" guard dogs.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293578_1974737690176_1295088056_31770976_7697595_n .jpg

I think if money wasn't an issue there might be a better choice out there, something more glamorous... but for how cheap these are... they're winners!

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
They look pretty nice. I'm not even seeing 35s on their site.

I'd just hate to not use the brand new spare but I might not have a choice at the point. :frown:

Backcountryislife
April 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
I know the feeling! When I bought mine... it had 33's... and a 31 spare (WTF?) so i had a ******* that had no purpose for a while!

these are what I'm running, they've got 35's for 16 & 17, but if you're on 15's You're sol with them.:rolleyes:
https://www.treadwright.com/p-79-315-70r17-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

At $150ish each... the 5th one is a bit more palatable though!

$200 for the 37's... that's my next step.

Beefy
April 22nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yep, I'm on 15" wheels. There goes that option. :lmao:

Backcountryislife
April 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
hey, I tried!

Always trying to help another cheap bastird. :D

dr350jja
April 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
On their web site, the TreadWright Guard Dog tire pretty much has the tread pattern of the old G/Y MT/R.

Hypoid
April 22nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
If you have to run an oddball, or even a flat, put it on the steering axle.

dr350jja
April 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
^^ why is that Mike?

mattzj98
April 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
because you dont have to be in 4wd or locked so it wont wear on your diff, gears etc.

mattzj98
April 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
^^ why is that Mike?

a flat tire is much smaller diamater, if you run it on a rear end (if rwd) you can strip or mess up your gears. if you put it up front and arent locked or in 4x4 you can limp anywhere you need to go

Popsgarage
April 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Ding, ding, ding!!! Winner, winner chicken dinner!!!!! Matt is correct.

Brody
April 23rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
What has been said. Usually, if I rotate my 'spare' into the mix, whether it is new or not, I will toss it on the back as my back tires tend to wear faster with the locker or the spool. Part of the decision is based on the amount of tread left on the remaining rear tire. At any rate, the tire, providing that they are the same original size, difference isn't going to be enough to mess with the gearing. In an ideal world, all the tires would be the same exact size, but this isn't often the case.

An odd ball spare pretty much has to go on the front, especially with a 4x. If it was me, I would get the new spare and toss it on the back with my next best tire and call it good. At the moment, my spare is a 38x15.50x15. The tires I am running are 37+x13.50x16....close....In this case, my spare would go on the front as there is about 1/2" difference or more in overall height....

Beefy
April 23rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
In my case, my spare is brand new and matches the rest of the tires. The problem is that I can't buy another one to match it so that i can change out my front two tires.

Beefy
April 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
I just spoke with someone at Discount Tire and it sounds like these tires are completely different. Not just the tread pattern but also the shape. Sounds like I might not even be able to run different tires on the separate axles! Not only that but he said the size I would need is on a nationwide backorder for Discount Tire. Dammit!!

Beefy
April 23rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Yea in 35x12.5r15. Backorder for Discount Tire anyway.

Beefy
April 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Tirebuyer.com
Tirerack.com

Both on backorder.

Haven't called any Big O stores.

Rick
April 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Haven't called any Big O storeshow about performance wheel and tire off santa fe and oxford

4Runninfun
April 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2907700377.html

1bfg never mounted 35x12.5 15 $80

4Runninfun
April 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
then there is this, get 4 and you'll be good for a while. rotate in as needed

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2951350713.html

Beefy
April 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Holy ****! I need that new one!!!!

Rick
April 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
1bfg never mounted 35x12.5 15 $80 great deal!!!!!!!!

Beefy
April 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
I emailed the guy that posted with the new one. It's from March so I hope they still have it.

Thanks Chris!

Hypoid
April 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM
What everyone else said, and, having the problem tire on the steering axle gives you more control over the vehicle.

xaza
April 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
yeah it is getting harder and harder to get tires on 15's. I have km2 on my wheeler and the Treadwrights on my dd. I love them both. the km2 will dig down in loose dirt and snow very quickly. Very aggressive tread that has proven to grip rocks pretty darn well...better than the original km. Was skeptical about such a huge change in tread when I went from km to km2, but they have exceeded my expectations. With JY rims and re-treads, might be another economic option.

Java
April 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM
What about getting something close, like a ProComp mud or something similar to the BFG tread? If it was a performance car, or a tread pattern designed for high speeds I'd be concerned about mixing, but IMO if you get something close you won't even notice it.

Java
April 25th, 2012, 06:59 AM
What everyone else said, and, having the problem tire on the steering axle gives you more control over the vehicle.

Why is that? I would have guessed it would be safer on the rear, but that's just a guess.

Rick
April 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I would have guessed it would be safer on the rear, but that's just a guess. gearing.unlock the front and it doesn't really matter

Beefy
April 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Well, the guy that had the new one has sold it already. Next plan I guess. :/

Hypoid
April 25th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Why is that? I would have guessed it would be safer on the rear, but that's just a guess.

Because you have direct control over the steering.

4Runninfun
April 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
keep your eyes on CL good deals come up frequently.

Sorry that particular deal didn't work out for you.

Beefy
April 25th, 2012, 09:35 PM
keep your eyes on CL good deals come up frequently.

Sorry that particular deal didn't work out for you.

Not a problem, thanks for posting the link! That would've been perfect. If I can't find a new one (or close to it), I'm not really sure what I'm going to do! :eek:

Beefy
May 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
I found a brand new KM2 that's the right size and for a good price, but mixing these tires doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

Still looking. :frown:

mattzj98
May 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
bummer.. ill let you know if i find anything

Beefy
May 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks Matt. :)

dcoop
May 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
because you dont have to be in 4wd or locked so it wont wear on your diff, gears etc.

Depends on the vehicle. On a TJ the front diff is always spinning, unless you've installed manual hubs.

mattzj98
May 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
but its not locked so its spinning but not wearing out stuff

dcoop
May 2nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
but its not locked so its spinning but not wearing out stuff

Yes if it's an open diff or selectable locker. If its an limited slip or auto locker its going to wear the clutch packs out faster and wear on the auto lockers dog teeth.

Rick
May 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM
but its not locked so its spinning but not wearing out stuff YEPPPP

mattzj98
May 2nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
HOPEFULLY if you have a full time locker, like I do, you have locking hubs.

I know Jeff has ARB locker in the front end so no issue there