PDA

View Full Version : Toyota pickup wont shift into any gear.

BLOODBANE
April 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
O.K. This morning my Uncle was hooking a horse trailer up to his pickup and he said it won't shift into any gear. I don't know the year, it is a newer Toyota, automatic, and the bigger sized. He says it just kind of flops around (the shifter), like on the older models when the linkage came loose. What should I look at with him on this. Thanks in advance. Mark...

RidgeRunner
April 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM
If it feels like the linkage came loose I'd start by checking where the shift cable attaches to the tranny and also where it attaches to the shifter. I'm guessing the shifter is in the console, kind of a pain to take apart if you don't know which part comes out first.

Brody
April 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Can't help with the auto tranny and the only newer rig I have is a 2009 with the six speed manual, so I can't even look under it and suggest anything. My guess is what Dave said, sounds like something came loose in the linkage..

Robert B
April 24th, 2012, 05:40 PM
it might be all electronic though too :) i know some cars are (or should be)

RidgeRunner
April 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm guessing its a Tundra. I've had a couple of those consoles apart and they have a cable.

BLOODBANE
April 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks all. Our guess was the cable linkage. You could shift manually at the transmission, and everything was still hooked up. He just ended up taking it to a local shop (Austin Automotive) here in town.