PDA

View Full Version : Installing new axles today

xaza
April 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Just got off work early and have my new axles to install. My brother is at work until after dark so I am doing the work solo. If anybody happens to be in the area and wants to help that would be sweet! Will grill up some burgers and get some beer for volunteers.

ccbruin
April 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I would if i was closer! Good luck! what axles?!

xaza
April 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Dana 44's from G2. 4.88 gears with eaton e-locker. Holy crap it's hot outside, sweating my but off and haven't even pulled my tools out. :lmao:

ctracy5
April 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hope it all goes smooth. Good Luck

ccbruin
April 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Lucky man! Good luck with the install

mattzj98
April 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Its a school night for me, ortherwise I would.. good luck on install

MelloYello
April 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Good luck. Post up pics.

ccbruin
April 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Good luck. Post up pics.

X2!

xaza
April 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Ok, so am calling it a day. Was some issues with install. First thing, there is no ABS gear installed on axle. Might have to see if I can get one to have welded or possibly cut off old ones to swap over. Next, hole in leaf spring perch was too small for my leaf pins. Reamed it out and got axle mounted to leaf springs. Next issue I am still stuck on is the shock mounts. The old mount was a pin that stuck out and a nut held shock to it. The new mount is intended for the shock to slide inside of and a bolt goes through mount, shock, mount to a nut. I don't see how this can work because the shock will not be able to pivot. On top of that would have to bend shock because the mount goes straight up and down from axle but upper mount is angled inward too far to reach. I have a few pics, but ran out of daylight. Get them posted after I get some dinner.

xaza
April 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Out with the old

In with new

Old shock mount

New shock mount

:bang:

BLOODBANE
April 25th, 2012, 10:07 PM
That looks really nice....But MORE pics.......

transplant87
April 25th, 2012, 11:53 PM
the shock mount should work, my blazer has that type and i have no issues

mattzj98
April 25th, 2012, 11:59 PM
his shocks dont go straight up and down though, they both go towards center of vehicle at the top.. that's why he'd have to bend those brackets in to make them work.. it's weird, you'd think they'd know the mounts.. XJs are so common.. sorry u're having those issues

Brody
April 26th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Use a different style shock mounting tab on the axle. Either fab one up from shock mounts you can get at an auto store or drop by High Country and grab some of the ones they have from BDS.

If you want, you can also modify the ones that you have using the 1/2 hole tabs you can get in the electrical conduit section of Lowe's or Depo. These work well for shocks as well as light mounts and are dirt cheap. Simply use the axle mounts that you have and 'box' them with two tabs so that the shock goes into the box and the eye runs parallel with the axle. This is the same set up I have for a similar shock arrangement on my rear axle. Be careful to allow access to the nut between the axle and the tab that is closest to the axle or weld a capture nut(best) on that side. You may also want to mount the shock tab so that it is even with the bottom of the axle rather than the way you have it tacked in place so that it doesn't act as a rock magnet.

Here is a link to the tabs I am talking about. They are out of 1/4" steel with a 1/2" hole pre drilled. You may want to measure the width and have to buy the two hole tabs and cut them to fit, but I have used the square tabs to modify similar mounts without any cutting.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?15402-Cheap-Tricks-For-4x4s&highlight=cheap+tricks

Post #10

Hope this helps. Don't bend the shocks...

Here are pictures of shock mounts on two rear axles that I have, both set up for angled shocks. You can see where you can easily modify what you have to work with the tabs. The other axle picture/shock mounts use a simple shock stud set up with a double shear. I have seen these simply welded to the axle minus any shear brace, but I personally wouldn't do it.

xaza
April 26th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I was thinking the easiest and most available option might be to cut the front of old shock mount and weld it to current bracket. They have very similar curvature and with a little heat & a bfh I should be able to form it a little better. Not too familiar with welding so I wasn't sure if the bracket has enough metal to hold. Also considered cutting a bigger chunk off old mount and drilling 2 holes and bolting it to new one(with an additional hole drilled too), but thought that would look tacky. Thanks Brody, briefly glanced at link but will read it later. Any other thoughts is greatly appreciated.

me getting agitated

Makes me wonder about making a 6x6 with rear axle pushed back for departure angle:lmao:

MelloYello
April 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Too many issues. That is BS you have to modify anything. Did they send you the right axle? What does G2 have to say? That mount will obviously not work.

Funrover
April 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

glacierpaul
April 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hope you get it worked out!! Those are nice axles btw!

xaza
April 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Talked to the guy that welded on my shock brackets. They come from G2 not welded on, but 4 wheel parts (thats who I purchased axles through) picked up the slack for me. He says we can pull off mounting bracket, twist it to the right angle for shock and then weld it in place at an angle. He is coming by after work tonight to take a look and make game plan, this will be his second trip to my house after hours!

Brody
April 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Looking at this again, why not simply cut off the old shock mount from the removed axle, radius it to fit the new axle, clean it up and weld it on where you want it. "Twisting" the new shock mount is still going to have the eyes of the shock at an angle to each other and will probably cause binding. The eyes of the shocks should ideally be (especially the way you have the shocks angled) parallel to each other for best movement. If you look at the rear of your rig (or any leaf sprung rig) when it is all twisted up, you will see that the springs and axle are no longer directly under the rig, but are to one side or the other. With the eyes of the shocks parallel, this side to side, coupled with the up and down, isn't restricted. Reverse one of the eyes, and you are limiting that plane of motion.

Hypoid
April 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yup, those shocks have to rotate on two different axis, at 90* from each other. Since you have to reattach the shock mounts, set the Jeep on the ground at ride height, and locate the studs horizontal before tacking them on.

The other thing you need to look at, is getting rid of that ABS.

xaza
April 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM
New axles do not have have speed ring on them. Wish I could keep the ABS for driving on the road but it rarely gets driven except to the trails anyway. ABS gets disengaged in 4-low so it has not been an issue. Had a long day at work, didn't get anything done today :mad:

dannanw
April 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM
ABS went out the door fast on mine, dont care one bit. Looking good by the way.

Heather
April 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Yikes. Good luck with your axle swap - hope it's easier going forward!

xaza
April 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
OK, I got off work early today so I can try to be on a trail by Sun at the latest(fingers crossed) Hoping I won't need new drive shafts yet. Will upgrade from burgers to Steak, baked taters and corn on the cob for volunteers today! And of course beverages! Moving on to front axle, will come back to the brakes and shock mounts on rear when I know all the issues that need addressed.

Mr6dwg
April 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I wanted to pass on some news. I have the same axle on my Jeep, now in the front. After driving it for a couple of days, I got a leak on the right seal. I called the G2 company. Here is the explanation verbatim:

Yes this is true, and here's the reason. The front assembly (especially
with an ARB) will only allow 1.3 quarts of oil due to the increased size of
components compared to the stock components. The factory amount is about
1.5 quarts which isn't a whole lot different however people tend to overfill
the housings. This happens due to the fact that our G2 diff cover has the
fill plug located higher than normal and people tend to fill the
differential until the oil weeps just like a factory cover. When this
happens, the differential is about a quart too full and when everything
heats up the oil tries to escape and this will cause the axle seal to leak
until the oil level get down to about 1.3 quarts. It will not damage the
seal but is does create a mess! Let me know if you have any other
questions.

So, Cliff, I wanted to give you a heads up so you don't have to experience the same thing I did.

ctracy5
April 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I guess that is good, so if you over fill the axle it just leaks until it is at the right level???? seems odd but I guess it is better then bursting your seals.

xaza
April 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks. I sure would have over filled it. I have the e-locker so I suppose it will take 1.5 for mine then....maybe do a little extra and let the axle decide how much it wants, but at least I won't be wasting a quart each axle!

dannanw
April 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
only if you lived closer....have fun.

Brody
April 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Dannan

Your rig would look totally BA with a carbon fiber overlay over the wood....Hell, it's only time and money, right? Mine would look good with a 600hp Chevy V8 and a 6-71 blower, too, but I seem to have time and money issues...

Cliff-I would carve out the stock mounts to fit the axle for you with the plasma cutter, but the only time I can do it would be Sunday...Holler if that helps. I won't be able to do it at your house as I am going to be working on Beefy's rig, but it would only take 10 minutes or so. I am about 25 minutes from Englewood..

dannanw
April 27th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I am thinking of camouflage wrap on the wood, but if I make it to nice I will feel bad when I hit a rock or tree. Sorry for the hijack

xaza
April 27th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Ok calling it a night. Don't think my neighbors would like if I kept sawzalling tonight. :D

So front axle is going rather smoothly. Need to replace a shock that was pretty toast. Need to pull coil springs out and mount bump stop extensions. Holes need to be drilled and tapped. Got all steering linkage and parts needed to transfer from old axle pulled out. Cleaned, sanded and painted. Have a brake caliper that needs replaced so will likely get rotors, calipers and pads for a ZJ.

out with old

Removing wheel bearing to be installed in new axle

Prepping steering to be painted

In with the new...sanding and painting coils tomorrow

Popsgarage
April 27th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Looking good man!

transplant87
April 27th, 2012, 11:54 PM
what part of englehood are you in. i might swing by and give you a hand or two

xaza
April 28th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the offer! I am in the far west part. Off Federal & Evans. I think I got it handled now that the weekend is here, my brother is here to help. The only 2 issues now are rear shock mounts, which Four Wheel Parts should be able to get taken care of for me tomorrow and potentially will need shorter drive shafts. Bummer cause Bill is closed.

glacierpaul
April 28th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Glad to hear you are getting it done!
BTW, I love your quote!, try having 4 Jeeps:lmao:

xaza
April 28th, 2012, 06:31 AM
LOL, we do have 4 Jeeps in our household :lmao: One is new to us (got it the week after ordering axles). It is and shall remain totally stock (It's wifeys) All the other 3 are sucking us dry. Have replaced all three motors in last 2 years. I went a little overboard on my dd...only getting 7 mpg now.:oops:

xaza
April 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM
OMFG, just took 4.5 hours for Pep Boys to do a tranny flush. Scheduled the appointment a week ago making sure to tell them I would be waiting with the vehicle and was told 1.5 hours. And then the manager didn't even try to adjust my bill to accommodate. They didn't have the filter, got the filter delivered and then had no tranny fluid. How the F#$% does a part store/shop run out of that? Well now I get to start my day on my truck, just wanted to blow off some steam before I go to Pep Boys corporate to file a complaint.

xaza
April 28th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Made good progress today. Front axle is done, except for the drive shaft (need a shorter one)

Got everything sanded and painted that I am doing now.

Checked rear drive shaft, looks good but could use a little shim. Might use longer shackles. Got gearbox with longer pitman arm installed.

xaza
April 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
So I was unable to make it to 4 wheel parts yesterday, being kinda impatient because it is hard for me to get off work early enough to get it to them during the week. Pete says he can help out and cut off old shock mounts today but I will still need help with welding them on. Anybody have a welder that would be able to stick them to my new axle? Left it easy to remove (besides getting leaf pin out the hole) :redface: so I can come to you.

Brody
April 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I have a welder (3, actually), too. Thought you had access to one or I would have said something.

xaza
April 29th, 2012, 09:58 AM
oh sweet, will you have time to stick em on too? Need any help on Beefy's rig?

xaza
April 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Finally met Pete in person. He did an awesome job fabbing up shock mounts. Will get pics soon, off to work we go!

xaza
April 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Axles are in! Had a popping noise during test drive, was unable to find it and no sound on second drive. Gears are amazing! Still need to get a new front drive shaft and think a small shim for the rear will be a good idea. Wiring still needs to be run for lockers. Will get that done next weekend if I am not working.
Thanks again Pete!

Popsgarage
April 29th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Looks damn good man!!!! Shock mounts look good and strong. Pete does do some nice work.

Brody
April 30th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks! Good to meet you guys, too!

I took an 1 1/2" section out of the old shock mounts with the stud in it and cut it a bit long so that it fit into the new shock brackets. We braced the new axle so that it approximated the angle it would be when mounted, then I welded the stud part into the new brackets which were already welded on, basically forming a box shock mount.Quick, dirty and strong.

I needed a small break from Jeff's control arm bushing replacement, anyway. The front bushings went fine, but the rear lowers took almost an hour each. They were a fight due to the fact that they had basically mated with the metal on the control arm. Typical control arm bushing stuff...

xaza
May 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ok, am running a bit slow on finishing electrical for lockers. We had to put one of our cats down this week. Got the switches prepped for install. Stock vehicle had spots for 4 switches, but only used one on each side of steering column.

I first cut the plastic cover for the other two switches. I then heated the glue with a hair drier and peeled plastic covers off bracket. I then cut the plastic in half so as to keep the stock labels on stock switches. Would make a much cleaner install to just clean and repaint though if you don't want the labels. I also have my electric fan run through a toggle switch so I can run it constant. It gets power through an IGN point on fuse panel so it turns off with vehicle. Cut and mounted it next to locker switches. Still have to run wiring but am on-call this week so we'll see how much I get done. Driveshaft is at Bills, got it there yesterday.

Brody
May 4th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Pictures aren't showing up for me.

I like the hair dryer tip....

xaza
May 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I have noticed the pics doing that occasionally. You can click on where the pics should be, it pulls them up full page. I fixed these ones though. Just had to upload them a second time.

Gossamer
May 4th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Congrats on the axles Cliff!

Popsgarage
May 5th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Clean switch idea.