PDA

View Full Version : Downed Trees This Year

Brody
April 26th, 2012, 03:12 PM
From what I have gathered, there are a lot more downed trees this year than in years past. It would be PRUDENT to add a bow saw and or axe to your regular arsenal of recovery stuff so that when you come across a downed tree blocking the trail, you can do your good deed for the day (or year) and cut it so that others may enjoy the trail later on. I would carry these items for the next month or so, just for this reason.

I don't know how many people routinely carry an axe or bow saw, but I do all the time. I am just throwing this out as a reminder to expect more fallen trees and to at least be somewhat prepared for them.

Robert B
April 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
i usually bring at least a saw.....when camping i bring both and maybe a chainsaw if its a longer trip :) Dave (minnesota) said he really like his HF bow saw but the blade i think dies he said so buy the cheap saw and then go buy some nice blades :thumb:

cfr
April 26th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Check out the Sven Saw. This is what I carry all of the time. Very compact. Got mine at REI.

http://www.svensaw.com/

There are some video reviews on Youtube.

glacierpaul
April 27th, 2012, 05:10 AM
winches move downed trees too!:thumb:

Cr33p3r
April 27th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I usually carry my hatchet. A chain saw would be a nice addition tho. Would make cutting fore wood easier too!

glacierpaul
April 27th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I carry a bow saw and hatchet too. I have 4 chainsaws that can go too, as well as my cordless sawzall w/6 batteries. Shoot the new Jeep has a 110 volt outlet, I could run a cord and my plug-in sawzall:lmao:
The real deal is to be very wary when driving as well as being out of the rig, a lot of these trees still standing are a hazard!! Just be cautious in windy conditions. There are all sorts of sized trees downed all over up here.

Heather
April 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM
winches move downed trees too!

And tow straps! We posted about all the downed trees in our Miller Rock run report. It was FUN clearing the trail! This, being only my second season of wheeling, was the first time I'd experienced that. Pretty cool (since we won)!