PDA

View Full Version : Two awesome dogs---Free to good home.

BlackRubi
April 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Well, with the third on the way (due very soon), we are thinking that we are going to have a lot on our plate and the wife thinks that the dogs might just be too much. I tend to agree. We love the dogs so much but we cant keep up with them, the kids, and everything, all while working opposite schedules on little sleep.

We would prefer that they stay together, as they have been together for years now and are best friends. We actually tried to separate them a little while back by re-homing one of them. We ended up getting him back after the new owner said he seemed down.

They are older dogs. I think one is 9 and one is 8.

Max is the older one. He is a black lab/border collie mix. Fantastic temperament. My kids crawl all over him and he loves it.
Sam is a Hungarian Vizsla/Cheapeake Bay retriver mix. Good temperament. He grumbles when the kids crawl on him, but has never snapped, nipped, or anything.

They both enjoy being outside but have always been on a leash.

I don't want them to be in and out of shelters for the rest of their lives. They are my buddies, but we just can't keep them. I would prefer they go to someone that I know so that I'm sure they are taken care of for the rest of their time.

Woodscaper
April 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Man that has to be a hard dessision! I wish I could help, I already have 3 and a baby in the oven.

LostFedExMan
April 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Man I wish I could take them, if I had the room I would in a heartbeat. But with a little one on the way and currently only living in an apt, that wouldn't be a good situation for anyone involved. Gorgeous pups, I'll keep an eye out for a good home

Heather
April 30th, 2012, 06:12 PM
They are both so adorable, and have such kind eyes. We have three adopted pups, or I'd be all over it. Best of luck finding the perfect forever home.

BlackRubi
May 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Bump.
Here is their ad.
Two awesome dogs need a forever home. (http://denver.craigslist.org/pet/2992312517.html)

Bunyon & Babe
May 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM
they probably thought they had one with you . sad , we are maxed out too , but will keep an ear out for anyone who might be looking for some nice pups .

Woodscaper
May 5th, 2012, 12:07 AM
So why not just keep them ?? They prolly love you and I dont know of a more adaptable animal on the planet than a good ol loyal dog. The baby will love them. Will the dogs love the baby back? Man, the dogs would be crushed if you found them new homes at this stage of thier life. You would know best though, the kennels are full of unwanted pets. (Rant) I have three dogs now, 2 are lab mixes and 1 Rotty, I also have a baby on the way in Sept. I could not see letting the dogs go to someone else to take care of or neglect just because I (or my wife) thinks they will not "adapt", (my word). I will cut myself off there and wish you luck with your new addition and the dogs fate.

Doberguy
May 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
:rolleyes:They have counted on you when you took them home.:frown:

Flyer
May 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I just never get stuff like this. Dogs are forever...not while it's convenient. There...I said it!

Java
May 5th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I'm sure Kyle has much more on his plate than he's sharing. It's really out of line to give him ***** about this.

Doberguy
May 5th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Far from being out of line, or giving anyone *****. We are expressing an opinion based on what was posted. I thought that is one of the things one does on a forum? If it perceived as being out of line, or ***** rather then just an opinion, then maybe someone's conscious is bothering them?

Chris
May 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM
:tisktisk: Let's leave personal judgements out of this.

glacierpaul
May 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I applaud you for realizing a potential problem and finding the dogs a good home, not just dropping them off at a shelter. KIDS are forever, dogs are just that dogs. (I have owned many dogs), but kids and immediate family come first. It takes heart to have to make a decision like this, so... as the song goes...'then you really might know what it's like'.
I had an adopted family dog bite my baby girl in the face, guess what decision I made...one of the toughest in my life....the dog was not forever.
I hope you find them a good home!

sunk
May 7th, 2012, 07:30 AM
That sucks, I have 2 already. I will keep any eye out for you.

Chris
May 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I had an adopted family dog bite my baby girl in the face, guess what decision I made...one of the toughest in my life....the dog was not forever.

I had the same thing happen to my daughter but it was an easy decision for me, I put ours down. No animal takes priority over my kids or anyone else's IMHO.

BlackRubi
May 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I want them to have the attention that they will be losing when number 3 gets here any day now. They deserve that. And it's not like I picked them up a month ago and it just isn't working out or it isn't "convenient." I've had these dogs since they were pretty much pups and love them dearly. They just won't be getting what they deserve when the baby gets here.

If I were looking for convenience, I would have put Sam down 7 years ago when he ate a pair of my uniform pants up to the knee and wouldn't pass it and we came to find out that he had a congenital defect where is diaphragm had a hole in it, allowing his intestines to move into his chest cavity causing pressure on his lungs. But instead, I used the vast majority of my re-enlistment bonus to pay for a very expensive surgery to remove the obstruction and fix the defect.
Years later, Sam got a staph infection that wouldn't go away for a long, long time. Would have been convenient to put him down there, too. But again, I spent a hefty sum of money to treat it, and treat it again and again, until finally, I paid to have a surgery for him to remove the infected tissue. So, let's not lecture me about convenience.

I thought they were going to be with us forever as well, but life doesn't always work out the way that you expect it to. I don't want to take them to a shelter, which is why I was looking on here for someone that I knew would take care of them. Then I turned to Craigslist, which I trust less. Now, with no takers, I'm running out of options. There is only one shelter that I would take them to because they are truly no-kill. I don't want to go that route. I want to find them a loving home where I know that they will be getting the attention and love that they deserve.

BlackRubi
May 7th, 2012, 10:59 AM
That's true. I hadn't thought about fostering.

I hate having to do this.

Bunyon & Babe
May 7th, 2012, 11:34 AM
We are heading down to our Vet's in B.V. this afternoon > we will pass along the info down there too. Lots of dog people around there .

BlackRubi
May 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Please let me know if you hear anything.

glacierpaul
May 8th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I had the same thing happen to my daughter but it was an easy decision for me, I put ours down. No animal takes priority over my kids or anyone else's IMHO.

I am at odds with family because I put the dog down myself in the backyard( it was not a tough decision, painful is more accurate!), they insited they could have taken the dog. Like I would ever give an animal a second chance to hurt a child, would not give a human a second chance either. I am with you Chris!!

BlackRubi
May 11th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Bump.
Anyone hear anything?

RockyMtnHigh
May 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah Kyle we've adopted the last two from Safe Harbor Lab Rescue: Safe Harbor Lab Rescue (http://www.safeharborlabrescue.org/)

The volunteer foster families seem to all have labs themselves and they take care of their vet needs (if any) prior to listing them on the site for adoption. The adoption process is pretty thorough too, you don't just get a dog because you want one, there is an interview process and based on that they may even do a home inspection, they will find them good homes. I have seen lab mixes on the site too or what appear to be mixes, so I don't think they discriminate based on that either.

When we were looking at our first adoption from them, they had a pair of yellow labs that were 10 year olds that had been together since birth, they found one home for them. Finding a home for two dogs to stay together is hard, even harder is finding one that wants 2 - 10 year old labs, in other words it may even be possible to keep them together.

I don't see anything on the site for giving a dog up for adoption, only instructions on how to adopt, but I can give you the email address to their coordinator if you want (send me a PM), she is super nice and really loves what she does.

Brody
May 12th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am at odds with family because I put the dog down myself in the backyard( it was not a tough decision, painful is more accurate!), they insisted they could have taken the dog. Like I would ever give an animal a second chance to hurt a child, would not give a human a second chance either. I am with you Chris!!

Exactly where I would be coming from myself. Much as I like dogs, and as much as people want to give human attributes to dogs, they are just animals...carnivores to boot...and are going to respond as animals. I have also done the same thing that Paul did for the same reasons a long time ago, and my father did the same thing when a dog we had had in the family for years nipped either me or my sister. I would have no hesitation for putting a human, dog, goat, or anything else that breathes down if it decided to bite or hurt a kid. It is more of a proprietary issue (not to mention the fact that it is also a 'food chain status' reminder...and they are la bit lower on the food chain than people...): who is more important in your life? Kids or some 4 footed creature?

I got bitten in the face a few years back when we were about 6 miles into the back country. It was a friend's Lab sized dog that I had been around a lot,too. I was patting the dog, it was wagging it's tail, and suddenly I needed six stitches out of the blue. I had a knife out ready to unzip the damn dog just about as fast as the dog had tagged me, when my friend grabbed me(not the dog owner, BTW). I settled for throwing the dog into a tree trunk. Needless to say, I was a bit upset about being bitten and being attacked by anything doesn't put Petey into a pleasant mood. A little higher and the dog would have taken out my eye...like 1 1/2" higher. If that dog had been mine, it would have been looking at grass from the wrong side...