PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering CRAIGSLIST Vehicle Ads

Brody
May 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
The words used in many Craigslist ads are sometimes misleading. This may help:

Restoration 90% Complete:

What this actually means is that the owner probably made 90% of the mistakes you can possibly make and now hopes to dump this abortion on someone else.

Low Mileage/Recently Rebuilt:

What this could mean is that the owner had the engine overhauled by a cross eyed maladroit and is now worried over the funny new noises coming through his firewall. He is now hoping to sell this deathtrap before the pistons start swapping holes.

Always Garaged:

Could suggest that the vehicle hasn't been driven since 1947-for good reason.

No Damage History:

This could very well mean that the owner had a convenient memory for little things, like floating valves, the bent frame, wasted ball joints, and recurring front end issues.

MelloYello
May 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Funny stuff Pete.
My favorite is "clean, one owner" - Is this suppose to make me feel better? One BAD owner could screw it up worse than a fleet car.

Pathrat
May 1st, 2012, 09:23 PM
maladroit

Now there is a word you just don't hear used often enough.

Woodscaper
May 1st, 2012, 09:31 PM
Thats good stuff Pete. You never can trust the CL pepole, buyers or sellers. Its a roll of the dice just to go look at something. Good deals are out there though if you cad wade through the BS.

4Runninfun
May 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
CL is a great tool, but one certainly can't just blindly take people at their word. Usually when I meet people, if I'm buying something I'll chat with them before even bringing up the item. Can find out a lot about someone with just a few words. Another good method is repetition. Make them talk about the thing a few times see if the story changes.

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
That's right Jon. I have been lucky buying and selling. Chatting with people about the item beforehand has made for good experiences for both parties. I really like email/text as a tool to get an idea of who I may be dealing with.

Michael4rnr
May 3rd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thats really funny. I like those cause cause there usually true.

Funrover
May 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Craigslist has been good to me for finding items here and there. I must put stuff on at too low of a price, it never sells even though I am way below what others are asking.

dannanw
May 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Craigslist has been good to me for finding items here and there. I must put stuff on at too low of a price, it never sells even though I am way below what others are asking.

and here I thought that was only me...

Chris
May 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
I love CL as a seller, price it low enough and it's gone within an hour or so.

Brody
May 4th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
maladroit
Now there is a word you just don't hear used often enough.

For sure. We named a new hard rock climb in the Mt Herman/South Monument Creek area "Maladroit Man". It reflected the way we seemed to be climbing that day: inept.

maladroit [ˌmæləˈdrɔɪt]
adj
1. showing or characterized by clumsiness; not dexterous
2. tactless and insensitive in behaviour or speech
[from French, from mal badly + adroit]
maladroitly adv
maladroitness n

This was in part do to losing our concentration when some clowns on the hill started shooting the rock we were on and hitting very close to us. This stopped, though, when we shot back...:D

Popsgarage
May 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Definition number 2 describes me to a T.