PDA

View Full Version : ATV question??

ctracy5
May 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Hey everyone, I have never had one but Yamaha has a good deal going and if nothing else got me interested. I was looking at a few and had some basic questions, number one question is for most of the trails around here do you guys recommend a 4x4 or would a RWD sport ATV be fine on the trails and some rock crawling? Was looking between the YZF 450 (I get more cash back with this one) and the Wolverine 4x4 auto(If I can find one). Most likely just looking but there is a slight chance I will make a "bad" decision of financing one lol.

Rick
May 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
RWD for Hauling ass......4wd for the obvious:2c:

Woodscaper
May 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
I was riding a two wheel drive 250 up at Left Hand Canyon, Going up a pretty steep hill and it was lifting the front wheels off the ground. I ended up rolling it over backwards and had to chase it down the hill to stop it. NOT A FUN RIDE. If your runnin tracks or dirt roads go with the 2x, trails and rocks go with 4x. Thats my opinion.

Rick
May 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
dirt roads go with the 2x, trails and rocks go with 4x. Thats my opinionMine too!!!

Woodscaper
May 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Mine too!!!
Great minds think alike;)

dannanw
May 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Having put $20, 000 in a 2wd and racing it I say go 4wd... Unless you want to race it.

ctracy5
May 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
sounds good, looks like the 4x4 is more like I am looking for just wanted to make sure. Like I said most likely not this year need to get caught up on a few things but we will see how work goes this summer.

glacierpaul
May 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
RWD is like a 2WD car, worthless IMO, we live in Colorado!!!(of course, I live in the mountains, so I am biased). If you are into 4wheelin with your Izuzu, you would be disappointed with a 'race' atv, I would think. If you are serious about atv's, research all makes and options before purchase. If you are new to atv-ing, I would not get a fast one and 'hit' the trails. On a side, up here on my surrounding trails, I see 1 sport atv for every 20 utility atv's. If you do buy one, give me a shout, I know some good areas!;)

ctracy5
May 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
sounds good, that is what I thought but they have a good deal going on the sport model so I thought I would at least ask you guys before I made any decisions.

glacierpaul
May 3rd, 2012, 06:03 AM
Good deal because utilities sell more. Another benefit from a utility, get a plow for it, no more hand shoveling walks or driveways. Maybe rake in a few extra dollars in the winter plowing for your neighbors!