PDA

View Full Version : When is it too hot for Moab?

Java
May 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'm still fuming over my screwed up Moab trip, but I'm good to go now and am trying to set up a weekend head out there ASAP, which may not be too S- when does it get too hot to be fun? I've never been there later than early May...

Pathrat
May 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
for me? NEVER! I have been in May, June, July, August and September. Sometimes my trips are planned, sometimes they are determined 4 days prior to leaving.
The second half of June to mid August can be hot, but two years ago on July 4th I had to wear a hoodie as it dropped to around 60. Just look at the forecast. If it is hot, leave early in the am.

cfr
May 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
See the monthly averages near the bottom of this page,

Moab, Utah Weather and Climate Information (http://www.discovermoab.com/climate.htm)

Your call on when it's too hot.

Chris
May 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'm with Stephanie, due to circumstances I went in July once and it's a bit of a tradition. I'd rather deal with 110 degrees than 10 degrees any time.

4Runninfun
May 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM
It looks like I'm going to be heading out there may 13-18, from the projected forecast it looks like it should be in the 80's which is warm but not too bad. if you find yourself out there during that time give me a shout!

Pathrat
May 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM
I am going the third week of June, and would kill, no, make that murder, to go earlier and often like in past years, but I probably can't.

Chris and I are climate buddies :thumb:

4Runninfun
May 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM
too bad you can't break out earlier, Steph. would be fun to run some trails out there with you. But I'll be back in class by the time you are going.

Pathrat
May 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM
It would be a great time, I'm sure, to do some runs with you. Eventually it will happen, just not the coming week you are there.

MelloYello
May 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
for me? NEVER!

X2!

Java
May 2nd, 2012, 06:17 AM
for me? NEVER!

GOOD ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Java
May 2nd, 2012, 06:19 AM
It looks like I'm going to be heading out there may 13-18, from the projected forecast it looks like it should be in the 80's which is warm but not too bad. if you find yourself out there during that time give me a shout!

It's not too likely, I don't actually have a day off until mid-june, but I'm trying to shuffle things and get stuff covered so I can... thanks for the offer!!!! If by any chance it happens I'll PM you

Java
May 2nd, 2012, 06:20 AM
I'd rather deal with 110 degrees than 10 degrees any time.

x10!!! That also explains Hawaii! :D

ROKTAXI
May 2nd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Some years are worse than others. Our monsoon seasons help a lot, but you can't count on them. What I like to do is go out wheeling about sunrise and be back when you feel the heat is not your friend. Then head for the watering holes (not the bars). We have more of those here than most think or know about. And then there's always a quick trip to the La Sal's if you want your altitude fix. There's some nice trails up there. I have my personal favorite area of Mill Creek where there's very little human presence, can take your dog (as I do). Kids would love this spot. It's about 1/2 mile hike to the water. If you're here in the summer, I'll be glad to show you.

Heather
May 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Beautiful!!!!

ColoJeeper
May 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
I've wheeled Moab year around. In the summer....use the AC and don't plan on hiking in the middle of the day.

Java
May 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Marty- I recognize that area, my wife, dog and I got lost in the Mill Creek area for the better part of a day, it was AWESOME!!! After we got straight (we had taken a wrong fork following the creek) we saw the rocks with the paintings on them, found the swimming hole you can dive in, it was one of the best hikes I've had there. Next time I'll take you up on it anyway! :thumb:

SCRubicon
May 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
I've never been out there between Easter Safari time and October. Looking like two weeks in October this year though. :woot:

Michael4rnr
May 2nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I like moab in the spring and fall because it doesnt get extremely hot but summers not bad four wheeling just dont hike at the heat of the day.

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Great looking spots Marty! Mill Creek has been on the list, my long Moab/SE Utah list.

ROKTAXI
May 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
Marty- I recognize that area, my wife, dog and I got lost in the Mill Creek area for the better part of a day, it was AWESOME!!! After we got straight (we had taken a wrong fork following the creek) we saw the rocks with the paintings on them, found the swimming hole you can dive in, it was one of the best hikes I've had there. Next time I'll take you up on it anyway! :thumb:
The spot you're talking about is the main fork of what is called Left Hand. The area I'm referring to is going (right) up stream about 1.5 miles from that location. Many good rock art panels and a few nice places to get in the water without the crowds. Mostly locals know of the access cause it looks like a private drive from the road. About another mile from there is the start of the Steel Bender (AKA Flat Pass) Trail.

This photo is the way down. Yes, there's a trail in there somewhere that leads to Millcreek

Brad
May 2nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
Very cool Marty! I am still working out some kinks in the rover but am determined to hit it up in the fall!