PDA

View Full Version : Think it will pass?

ShutUpHippie
May 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Have to emissions test the Blazer this month... installing cats on it next week. So aside from obviously requiring those... Anyone know of any guaranteed fail scenarios I should look for first in a vehicle like mine? GM guys?

Thanks- Rob

Robert B
May 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
uhh if its running the air pump set up like mine then make sure it works and is stickered up correctly otherwise i dont know of any but i also dont have to do emissions :) luck be with you

Chris
May 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
A couple bottles of isopropyl alcohol and minimal waiting in line always helps.

transplant87
May 3rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
A good thing to do is replace ur spark plugs

Popsgarage
May 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
How well does it run??? And like Robert said, if it has the air pump, make sure the belt is installed and the hoses are routed to the charcoal canister and all the vacuum lines are in good shape. Mine has never failed yet. Of course it hasn't run in over two years. On the spark plug idea, I'm a big fan of AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs. Have made a good difference in all of mine.

Hypoid
May 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
The VECI label will tell you what equipment needs to be in place for the visual inspection.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/26/8c/53//small/0900c15280268c53.jpg

Popsgarage
May 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Damn you're good Mike, damn you're good!!!!!!

Hypoid
May 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
If I wuz guud, I'd skip reading the instructions....

:D

Popsgarage
May 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
:lmao::lmao:

Hypoid
May 3rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Buy a new gas cap before you go in. If you pass the treadmill, and fail the pressure test, you have to run the treadmill again. Never mind how I know this.:mad:

Brody
May 4th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Everybody pretty much touched on what I was going to say except that I use that guaranteed to pass emission pour in the tank junk rather than the cheaper alcohol, but both work. X 3 or 4 on the stupid gas cap..

ShutUpHippie
May 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Thank you everyone. I'll have to check it out under the hood this weekend for the air pump setup.. never really looked into that. I hope she passes :K5:

Jon- truck runs great, did the plugs and wires about a year ago...

Good call on the gas cap and fuel additive! I'm sure I'll need all the help/luck/etc I can get

dannanw
May 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I did a sea foam "clean" on the jeep, found that it has an exhaust leak from the manifold... Sure glad I don't have to get emissions here... Never dealt with them, el Paso County got rid of them before I could drive.

ShutUpHippie
May 4th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I bought my truck in Bailey, lived in Gunnison, then Erie... first time as far as I know that it has ever had to pass emissions. eek

Popsgarage
May 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Jon- truck runs great, did the plugs and wires about a year ago...

If it runs well, it should pass with no problem. When I finally got mine put back together it had a weird surge at idle that had me a bit worried. It still passed, no problem.

ShutUpHippie
May 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Probably just worrying, I guess I'll just put on the cats and give it a go. It's really too bad that it's only a 1990- not even close to old enough for collectors plates, etc.
*fingers crossed*

Popsgarage
May 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I really don't think you need to worry about it too much.

Chris
May 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I have to say that emissions requirements have changed which is why I don't have my old truck anymore. My '88 failed 7 times with new cats, fine tuning, etc. I even had the state help facility work on it. When it finally passed I sold it while I still had a "pass." I sold it to a guy in a no emissions state.

Not trying to scare you Rob, just a FYI

KnuckleHead
May 5th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I'm with Chris. I just did mine last month and it failed 5 times, passed on the 6th. Twice they had to have 3 different people do it cause my gas pedal was to tight. I'm carb'd and ran rich, turned it down, fail plus cats. New cats re adjust carb, fail. Cleaned carb'd, intake, EGR, re did vacum lines...... fail. Re adjust carb change plugs...... pass (still took 3 different people to test it).

I did a tune up about 8 months ago and still had to do it again. I would save yourself some time and just do another tune up of the plugs at least. Oh, and they were all over the smog pump. Checked ever hose and made sure it was hooked up. Each time I spent about 30 minutes of them looking over the truck before they even got it on the dino. Good luck

Woodscaper
May 5th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Just bring some extra "greenbacks", some guys are still "good ole boys".:bowdown:

Popsgarage
May 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Good thing about yours Rob is that it's Throttle Body Injected. Get the cats on and it should pass.