PDA

View Full Version : LSPV Removal/Line Lock Install: Brody's Heap

Brody
May 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I have had these parts for about a year and decided to do the brake R&R that was a bit overdue. I had already replaced the front rotors and pads and also the rear drums and shoes. Here is the rest of the stuff I did with some pictures and a lot of links. There are good write ups in the links for the LSPV removal and replacement with a regular proportion valve, installation of a line lock to either back up or replace the rear emergency brake, and a basic caliper rebuild. I listed all the reference links that I used on the last post for everything I did. I posted a couple of pictures that were in the links that were the most help, too.

My suggestions on the LSPV and Line Lock install:

Grab a couple of 10mm flared connector couplings.
Junkyard source some Toyota brake line fittings, both the "T" fitting and the long nosed brake ends.
Grab some extra 10mm brake fittings, 3/16" brake fittings and some extra 3/16" or metric brake line. You can also grab some preflared line with two fittings on it, metric and standard.
Have a small tube bender handy.
Have a small pipe cutter handy for the tight spots.
Have a flaring tool handy and know how to use it.
Test fit your line lock and proportioning valve adapter fittings BEFORE getting committed.
BOTH THE LINE LOCK AND PROPORTIONING VALVE HAVE MARKED 'IN and OUT' SIDES> DOUBLE CHECK YOURSELF.

Replacing the LSPV and installing a regular proportioning valve:

The biggest thing here is sourcing the 'L' fitting or blocking off the return line port. The next biggest is going from metric to standard....and finding all the right fittings for it. Your best bet for metric to standard fitting is going to be the internet. I bypassed all of this by cutting the lines and using standard 3/16" fitting where the plugged into the proportioning valve. You need to be familiar with flaring tools to do this.

You also have to deal with what to do with the return line. Most people leave it in place as a "spare" line and simply leave it tucked out of the way. I wanted to see if I could remove it for grins and tickles since it goes between the frame and the fuel tank in the back. End result: why bother. I now have a piece of line the length of my fuel tank that is going to live there until I have to drop the tank:D

Location is a matter of choice. Under the hood keeps most of the crap off it. Essentially you can mount this anywhere in the rear brake feed line. Although the area by the booster is tight, the shortness of the lines pretty much eliminates the need for bracketry. I was expecting to have to make a bracket, but by the time this was tightened in place, it was solid.

Brody
May 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Line Lock Install:

Many people install a simple line lock when they swap drums for discs in the rear. They are most commonly used on dragsters when they lock the front wheels and burn the tires before a run. They can be used either for the front or the rear, or both, or set up per side. Pretty much whatever blows your skirt up.

I installed mine to back up my emergency brake system. Keep in mind that there are also a couple of different styles of line locks, too, with the electric ones being the most common. The main complaint on the electric ones is that if you lose power (they are fused if you wire them in right), the 'lock' doesn't work, hence my back up install. These are also not the 'be all/end all' of back up brake systems, but do serve a purpose. You also must first apply pressure to the brakes, then turn the switch on, which then locks the brakes to whatever wheels the line lock is directed to.

You also need to have the switch relatively convenient to use 'just in case'. I mounted mine on my main shifter about where I can easily reach it with my finger, but is out of the way for regular shifting. I also mounted the line lock as far back toward the rear wheels as I could and had a couple of choices for mounting location. I chose the LSPV location and modified the old bracket to work. Again, your choices are up to you. With the air tank and shackles hanging down and all the odds and ends of metal, if I had to mount mine again, I probably would have chosen a place where I wasn't dinging my head every time I moved...

Brody
May 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Front brake caliper rebuild:

Due to the amount of $$ that rebuilt Yota calipers run (about 3 times what the same thing runs for Jeeps....not built any better or different, either. Go figure..) and the fact that I though I had a sticky one, I decided to get the $10 per side R&R kit and do it myself. Not brain surgery and the absolute hardest part of the whole job is getting the pistons out of the holes. I found that the two screwdriver method worked the best, although you can certainly sail one piston out of each side with compressed air. Put a cloth or block of wood over the piston when you do this so it doesn't get all dinged up.

Do expect to bleed your front brakes 3-6 times before all the air is out of them. You can speed this up a bit by just gravity bleeding one side while you are working on the other caliper, but do not let the master run dry. Rather than space this last out, I simply opted for the brake bleed at the end of the reinstall. You can also 'help' the bleeding part a bit by filling the piston holes partway full of brake fluid. You will squirt some out when you compress the pistons back into the sleeves, but filled a couple of little gaps...

The write up in the link "caliper rebuild" is about as good as write ups get and can't really be added to.

Brake Caliper Rebuild:

Brake Caliper Rebuild (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/175627-brake-caliper-rebuild.html)

Oh....as far as the rechecking torques or basic tightening of all the junk: You guys (and gals) do do that right? I mean you have all the crap out to tighten stuff, the wheels are out of the way, and all that stuff that needs to be checked or tightened is just sitting these waiting for a bit of love...And the wheels studs....hell yeah! Throw an extra bit of love on these little bad boys. While you have the torque wrench out and the right size socket, hit the other two wheels, too...

Oh yeah....could be your life or a loved ones life, too, if that makes a difference...

Brody
May 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Here are all the links that I used for research into the LSPV removal and proportioning valve replacement as well as the line lock install links. Some of the articles have both. Here are the pictures that helped the most, too.

PROPORTIONING VALVE AND LINE LOCK INFORMATION LINKS:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8745-TOYOYA-INFORMATION-AND-LINKS

Post #65

Java
May 7th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Good work, and a very detailed write up. :thumb: I like the red brakes!

Michael4rnr
May 7th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Nice pete. looks good.

MelloYello
May 7th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Great write up. Good work.

Brody
May 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks!

My head had so many knots on it from the line lock install in the rear of my heap that it hurt when I laid it on the pillow...Jonathan (popsgarage) laughed when he saw this 3" line of dings (all from the same damn point) on my coconut...

otisdog
May 8th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I'll pray for a speedy coconut recovery for you.
Jim

Brody
May 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks, Jim. Never seemed to hit my head (fingers and everything else) when I had a full head of hair. Now my head seems to have a target on it...

glacierpaul
May 8th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Nice Pete!! You could always start to wear a hard hat or climbing helmet on a regular basis:lmao:

xaza
May 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
:lmao: Nice write up Pete. You could always coat it with truck bed liner...easy to maintain :D