PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Loop

Hwkscr
May 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hey Ya'll,

I'm wanting to do the Alpine Loop later in the summer, maybe August or September. What are some good pointers for the trail? When is the best time to go? From what I've read the loop includes Cinnamon, Engineer, Hurricane, and Stony Passes. Is there any way to shoot over to Black bear pass?

William

Cake
May 13th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I'm also looking to do it this summer, but don't know if I'll be able to wait that long.

I thought it was only Cinnamon and Engineer, but maybe I overlooked something.

You could tie in black bear, although its not part of the alpine loop. Take black bear into telluride, and then ophir or scotch to put you out on the south end, or immogene to take you out towards the north end.

Hwkscr
May 13th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Hey Cake,

When are you looking to do it? I have a buddy who has a stock JK that wants in too. I maybe able to go earlier if a group is interested.

Cake
May 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Looks like the loop is open now, so I may check it out this weekend. I'm only available on weekends. What kind of time frame are you looking at?

Chris
May 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Take a look at this thread Robyn started, I just moved it to Trail Planning since that's what it became.

Front Range 4x4 Forums (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?16560-Ouray-Area)

Cake
May 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
The alpine loop is roughly 70 miles- so that tells me its possible to do it in a day? Not an overnighter unless you want it to be?

Brad
May 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
That's a tough call. Depends on trail ratings.

Chris
May 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Overnighters in Ouray mean no soaking in the hot pool at the end of the day!

My old bones sure enjoy that! :D

Beefy
May 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM
It's a day trip. Just don't get lost like I did. :D

vdubplate
May 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I cant do this weekend coming up (May19/20) but I'll head up there the following weekend. I am always down to go so if anyone needs some company for a good ride hit me up.

Cake
May 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
It's a day trip. Just don't get lost like I did. :D

how easy is it to get lost?

i know there are some side trips, but everything should be pretty well marked, right?

Chris
May 15th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I haven't gotten lost myself but did learn not to take Engineer to Lake City and stay for dinner. I won't drive it ihet he pass in the dark so had to drive around the mountain to get back, ended up being one time I was really happy I carried gas cans.

Beefy
May 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM
how easy is it to get lost?

i know there are some side trips, but everything should be pretty well marked, right?

In my opinion, the signage was pretty poor trying to find Engineer Pass to get back towards Ouray. You shouldn't have any issues, just do the research beforehand. :D

Chris
May 15th, 2012, 08:18 PM
IIRC Chuck Well's book describes both ways pretty well. I'm not 100% sure but think the common route is Engineer from Ouray and Cinamon back.

Hwkscr
May 16th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Has anyone done the loop and included Black bear Pass? Is there camping permitted on the loop?

Brad
May 16th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I stole this off traildamage. Pretty good map of alpine loop.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/flipswitch/267be3d3.jpg

I am seriously interested in this possibly with black bear! :thumb:

Cake
May 16th, 2012, 10:47 PM
there is plenty of camping on the loop. Black Bear wouldn't be any more than a day trip

Hwkscr
May 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Awesome! Let me check my class schedule, I'm thinking possibly either the first or second weekend in July.

Cake
May 17th, 2012, 09:14 AM
an alternative "map"

CTM Hillshade (http://www.stauntonpark.com/openlayers_al.html)

Cake
May 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM
loop is open and relatively easy. I did most of it in 2wd. Clearance and tires make more of a difference than 4x4. Muddy at the top, beautiful all around. Def wanna go back and explore some more!

Hwkscr
May 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
When did you go? Have you done Black Bear before?

Cake
May 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
I went this past weekend. We were just going to go up cinnamon pass from silverton to american basin and climb handies peak on saturday, but we got halfway up and realized there was just too much snow to make it happen, so we went back to camp and drank beer instead. The next day instead of climbing sunshine and redcloud, we decided to check out the entire loop into lake city and back over engineer pass.

The word from telluride is that you can still see snow on black bear's switchbacks. Sounds like it will be at least a few more weeks till that is open.

From what I remember seeing on the board at the jeep rental place in silverton is that about 90% of the stuff in the area is open.

Brad
May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
A true sign of our low snow pack. That area is usually the highest in snowfall.

Hwkscr
May 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Nice, I am trying to figure out a good route to take from Aurora, CO. The trip may or may not include dropping my wife and Mother off in Telluride for the day in order to do the passes. Any suggestions in way of attack?

Cake
May 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
if you want to do something moderate, take 50 to 550 from grand junction, and take Ophir pass to telluride, It's pretty mellow. Then take Imogene out of telluride, and black bear back in?

Hwkscr
June 16th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Ok, I will be in Telluride July 17-19. I am planning on doing Black Bear pass on July 18th. I want to hit some of the Alpine loop too. Anyone interested in joining?

Cake
June 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I wont be able to make it during the week, but good luck. I did the loop solo; there will be plenty of traffic out there if you have issues

Flyer
June 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I did a few last week: Black Bear, Engineer, Cinnamon, Mineral Creek, Imogene, Ophir, Alta Lakes, Last Dollar Road, and much of Poughkeepsie. There was no snow, and I got around without incident. It was during the week so pretty empty. If you do Engineer, there are a few cool offshoots to explore.

Tom
June 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I used to live in Gunnison. We ran Engineers and Cinamon from Lake City. Its a great place to start. Not as far as a drive to Ouray.

Hwkscr
July 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Fantastic, Im driving down from Aurora, CO to Telluride on the 17th and staying the night. I pretty much have all day the 18th to run what i can run. From Telluride what is the best plan of attack? Should i run the Alpine loop and call it good, or can i get black bear in? suggestions welcome please.

Flyer
July 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM
You can do Mineral Creek and Engineer early, then take the highway back towards Ouray and do Black Bear. If you come back via Cinnamon and Mineral, it may take most of the day.

Hwkscr
July 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Okay, Im getting a little closer to going down to Telluride. Ill be leaving from Telluride to hit the trails. I'd like to hit Engineer and others in the area. I've never been down that way. Whats the best route to get to engineer and other trails from Telluride? Thanks

Another thing...If I leave Telluride and go to Ouray via the highway to hit Engineer Pass, whats the best way to get back to Black Pass? How long will Engineer Pass and Black Bear take?

And another thing...Is it possible to take Imogene Pass out of Telluride to Ouray? Can I then hit the highway to get to Engineer pass and come back via Black Bear?

Thanks again.