PDA

View Full Version : Rim swap?

CODodgeGal
May 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hi everyone!

Ok so I recently got my new to me 2003 Ram 1500, beautiful truck, HOWEVER its got the most ugly stock 20s on it right now which HAVE to go....my question is will a 15" rim of an '86 ford fit? A. in the bolt pattern? and B. around the rotars and calipers? I found some nice ones for cheap and if they'll fit Ill swap, if not then that plan's out the window.

Thanks!!!

Rick
May 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM
will a 15" rimI dont believe it will fit

mattzj98
May 13th, 2012, 10:05 PM
what the dodge guy said! :)

Robert B
May 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
what lug pattern and what backspacing you have and what ones you looking at ?????? i know a bunch of dodges run a big backspacing and old trucks do not so it might then fit but the tire would be pushed way out........ and 15s might fit since im looking at mine and it seems like they might fit my truck and im runing a 3/4 ton front and a 1 ton rear ........ unless you have huge rear drums then the main problem is fitting over the front calipers (my problem also) .......what size rim you looking for --height and depth ???? and what bolt pattern you need?????

Rick
May 13th, 2012, 10:17 PM
main problem is fitting over the front calipersmy thoughts

Robert B
May 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM
my thoughts yep and i know nothing on how big a dodge one is ...if it looks like it might fit best way is to try and bolt one on :)

Popsgarage
May 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM
More than likely they will not.

Brody
May 14th, 2012, 04:36 AM
What everyone else has said: the main reason for the bigger rims on the newer rigs is to clear the front rotor.

CODodgeGal
May 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone appreciate the feedback!!! I didnt think they would fit since its the new 1500 with disc brakes all around :-/ but I figured Id ask since they were a good deal price wise...

@ Robert B - From what I can figure out I need a 5 x 5.5" lug pattern for this dodge, Im just trying to find some different smaller rims for it, either a 16 or 17" rim would be great, something i can run a slightly wider, taller tire on....it currently has the stock 20"s on it with low pro street rubber and personally I hate that look, and it serves me no purpose if I want to go anywhere other than town with it...I need rim and tire not all rim and no tire haha!

Brody
May 15th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Watch your caliper clearance. Have Jim look under the rig and see what kind of leeway that you have between the existing rim size and the caliper. That is going to be the determining factor on what size rim you ultimately end up with.

CODodgeGal
May 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks Brody!!

Popsgarage
May 19th, 2012, 09:57 AM
see what kind of leeway that you have between the existing rim size and the caliper.

X2 on this.