PDA

View Full Version : Manual transmission, while sitting at a stop...

Hypoid
May 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Manual transmission, while sitting at a stop:

A) Do you put the tranny in neutral, and take your foot off the clutch pedal?

B) Do you keep the tranny in gear, and hold the clutch in?

C) Why do it that way?

I've heard reasons for the first part of the question. I don't recall ever hearing a reason for keeping the tranny in gear, while sitting at a stop.

Robert B
May 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM
i always do neutral and let the clutch up.......one my trucks clutch is the old stiff style which i like but it will kill your leg to hold it for a long light....and 2 i think it puts excessive wear on the clutch parts .......there is also the great chance you wond hold it 100% of the way down and let it just enough to glaze the clutch surface at it hardly touches the flywheel........kinda like having an E-brake on 1 click and driving....other than that its just how i was tought :)

4Runninfun
May 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I'll usually throw it in neutral. No sense keeping it pushed in if there isn't need.

Rob
May 13th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Neutral, clutch out. Always done it that way.

Popsgarage
May 13th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Neutral, clutch out. Dad taught me that one a long time ago.

Jim
May 13th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Depends upon how long I'll be "sitting"

If short duration...
In Gear w/ clutch in - the throwout bearing is being used/worn (OK but not great)

If long duration...
Out of gear w/ clutch out - you'll likely wear the synchro's of the first gear you engage.
(often, instead of pushing into first and wearing those synchros, I'll click into a different gear (3 or 4) to stop the clutch from spinning and then move to first [i'd guess the first gear synchros get the most use/abuse out of the bunch])

EDIT

I don't recall ever hearing a reason for keeping the tranny in gear, while sitting at a stop.

From motorcycle days - one big reason for leaving it in gear is if you're the last vehicle (or even second or third to last) in a line of traffic. Should a vehicle behind NOT stop you can quickly whack the gas, dump the clutch and move forward/out/escape - I'd often keep an eye on the mirror in those situations (perhaps wheels to the side to escape). A quite rare issue, and one a bit more difficult on a wide vehicle (vs. a motorcycle that can readily fit between or beside an in-front vehicle).

KnuckleHead
May 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I've always brought it to neutral clutch out...... heard it can put a little more wear on things always going back in gear but I get tired of holding the clutch in myself....

Patrolman
May 14th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Neutral and clutch out to avoid any wear on the throwout bearing or other parts.

glacierpaul
May 14th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I mostly do A, but lean to what Jim said. I do A, because of the old Jeep syndrome. Luckily for me, here in Clear Creek County, there are no stop lights only signs.
I was told for safety reasons to always leave the vehicle in gear. It is illegal to cruise down the road with the vehicle out of gear, it may be the same while sitting at an intersection.
I could see both ways failing though, in the right scenario.

Java
May 14th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I almost always do A. When I was learning stick as a kid I was told to treat the clutch like it was hot. I almost never downshift to slow down either- clutches are expensive and difficult compared to brakes!

RidgeRunner
May 14th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Most of the time A, if I know it's going to be a short wait then B. Main reason is wear on the clutch parts, specifically the throw out bearing.

Beefy
May 14th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Usually A to give my leg a break. :lmao:

I downshift to slow down though. It's habit and how I was taught.

On a motorcycle, B because I might have to get the hell out of dodge and there's no cage. :D

Tom
May 14th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Neutral, clutch out. Always done it that way. Less wear and tear on the throwout bearing.

trailfiend
May 14th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I'd always do A as well, mainly because if for whatever reason I forgot I was in gear or my foot slipped off the clutch, slamming the car into gear, I didn't want to go through that wonderful jarring of the truck.... or bumping into another car.

Warrlord
May 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Here's a reason to not have the clutch depressed at every stop light all the time ;)

Here's a good reason to NOT sit at a stop light with the clutch pedal depressed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdl7texNgBk)

Heather
May 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I almost always do A. When I was learning stick as a kid I was told to treat the clutch like it was hot. I almost never downshift to slow down either- clutches are expensive and difficult compared to brakes!

All of this - except I learned to leave the clutch out after frying a high school boyfriend's clutch. He was letting (encouraging) me do multiple burnouts in his Saab 900 turbo. THEN I started always treating it like it was hot. Felt awful.

Funrover
May 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Neutral, off the clutch. Always done that. Some folks stay on the clutch and in gear for safety. They can move if needed or the car will stall if in a wreck.

Rick
May 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
mostly A except if I'm on a hill then B with it acting as a brake

Tom
May 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
mostly A except if I'm on a hill then B with it acting as a brakeGotta love the new toys. My 2012 wrangler applies the brake when I'm on a hill.

Rick
May 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
My 2012 wrangler applies the brake when I'm on a hill. nice!!!!!

Tom
May 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM
nice!!!!!Very.

Chris
May 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Gotta love the new toys. My 2012 wrangler applies the brake when I'm on a hill.

I was please to find mine does that too though it's an auto tranny

Tom
May 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Mine's a manual 6 speed. I discovered it when I first went wheeling in it. Stopped on a hill going up and when I took my foot of the brake to proceed it didn't roll back. I checked the manual. Its part of the ABS system. Can turn it off it I want though via the dashboard menu.

Jim
May 14th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Mine's a manual 6 speed. I discovered it when I first went wheeling in it. Stopped on a hill going up and when I took my foot of the brake to proceed it didn't roll back. I checked the manual. Its part of the ABS system. Can turn it off it I want though via the dashboard menu.

So, if you wanted to roll back, how would you have done that with this feature?

Beefy
May 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
So, if you wanted to roll back, how would you have done that with this feature?

He can turn it off in the computer menus.

Pretty cool feature.

CodeXJ
May 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM
At a stop you should let the clutch out and in neutral. if you hold it down your put more stress on the throwout bearing, and can shorten its life span up to 6x.
Second, downshifting actually ruins your transmission faster. Yes, it can help and it won't break it in one night but if you are constantly downshifting to slow down then your will ruin the transmission.

I can tell you a lot more things, due to over a few months of research gathered. I'm a research guru haha!

Tom
May 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
So, if you wanted to roll back, how would you have done that with this feature?Turn it off.

Jim
May 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Turn it off.

So I guess I should elaborate on my question: To turn it off you have to process through some / several menus on the vehicle controls system? I would think there would be some quick action like a "double-press of the brake lever" that would turn it off for that instance (and that the vehicle controls system would be a more permanent on/off setting).

CS79bronco
May 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
The '87 Subaru we had way back then would release the "hill-holder" feature if you let the clutch pedal out past a certain point. Once you got used to it, it was easy to let it hold or let go & roll back.
I always go to neutral & let the clutch out at lights, unless I can see that the light will change soon.

Tom
May 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
So I guess I should elaborate on my question: To turn it off you have to process through some / several menus on the vehicle controls system? I would think there would be some quick action like a "double-press of the brake lever" that would turn it off for that instance (and that the vehicle controls system would be a more permanent on/off setting).Haven't played with it that much. Did notice when I left work that if I dropped it into reverse w/o letting off the clutch it would roll back.

Brad
May 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Always in gear with clutch depressed. I have driven for a living for about ten years, as a package delivery driver, home theatre delivery etc, etc. I have avoided 3 accidents because of this habit. I generally leave a gap and have envision every escape mode at every stop I make as a extra sense. I stand by my method as I have only had 1 small fender bender in 25 years of driving. I have never had premature bearing or clutch wear as a result. Have owned 30+ manual cars.

Jim
May 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Re Hill Hold (threadjack, sorta)

I did a quick search and found an "I don't like it" post. In the post, the writer commented on "blipping the gas" to release the hill hold before commenting on finding how to shut it off in the vehicle control system.

Hill-holder feature.... thumbs down - JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/hill-holder-feature-thumbs-down-1263156/)