PDA

View Full Version : Friends visiting, late July, which scenic trails?

Jim
May 17th, 2012, 12:33 AM
A couple friends are coming to visit and I'm curious as to what trails would offer grand scenery?

Yea, I could sort the TrailDamage.com (http://www.traildamage.com/) list by scenic value (http://www.traildamage.com/search.php?s=scenery), but I'm looking for group flavor added into the mix.

I'm from Fort Collins so as trails move south and southwest (Central CO to Ouray area) they'd have to be more grand to warrant the drive. No telling what my friend's desires might be for trail desires. They might pipe up and say - we'd like to toy with Moab in the heat!

I'd imagine, in my newbie view, that the grand trails would be above timberline but I won't restrict the query to just those. Obstacles and overall bumpy/rocky trails would be lower on my list (middle st. vrain stands out in my book for slow and bumpy and since it's mostly pine-tree-canyon there aren't many grand views).

Frank mentioned a few the last we spoke (end of the Miller Rock ride) and I think Wheeler Lake was one of them.

If you were going to visit Colorado and ride a trail, which would you pick?

EDIT:
As trails are mentioned, I'll add them here

Trail, User, Comments
Wheeler Lake, Brody, Classic trail, can be bumpy & slow
Twin Cone, Brody, supposedly graded, stellar views
Red Cone, Brody
- Red Cone, RidgeRunner
Bill Moore Lake, Brody
Mill Creek Loop, Brody
Duck Creek, Brody
Grizzly Lake, Brody, pretty tame after the first challenging obstacle, pretty area
Peru Creek, Brody
Swan Lake, Brody
St John's Mine, Brody
Georgia pass, Brody
Yankee Hill, Brody
St Mary's Glacier, Brody
Kingston Peak, Brody

Brody
May 17th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Wheeler Lake is great as it is one of the classic Colorado trails, but you can add bumpy and slow into the mix. Twin Cone, even though it is now supposedly graded, offers stellar views, as does Red Cone.

Any of the passes around Buena Vista are classic. Most of the other high pass roads off Hwy 285 on the way down to BV are also pretty with good views and not too hard. Bill Moore Lake, Mill Creek Loop all put you right up to the divide as does the tag end of Duck Creek off of Guanella Pass. Grizzly Lake, also down by BV is pretty tame after the first challenging obstacle and goes to a very pretty area.

The whole Ouray area pretty much can't be beat for the combination of trails and views. Probably the prettiest area in the state for this. Closer to home off I70, you have the whole Peru Creek, Swan Lake, St John's Mine stuff as well as Georgia pass (which can be access from a lot of ways). You also have Yankee Hill, St Mary's Glacier, Kingston Peak area which offer great views with easy trails.

It more or less depends on driving time, camping/hotels, etc. as by July almost everything is going to be open.

RidgeRunner
May 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM
as does Red Cone

This is one of my favorites. Once above tree line the views are amazing. The actual peak is 12,801 Ft. and you drive right over the top of it. Run it from the 285 side and come down through Montezuma, over Loveland Pass to I70 and Beau Joe's in Idaho Springs for a late lunch.

Jackie
May 17th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Well, this suggestion isn't a trail... but if your friends have never been up to RNP, I would take a drive across Trail Ridge Road.

Jim
May 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I know one of them has... we rode bikes up and over, taking the old Fall River dirt road up, years back. Not sure of his wife. I could imagine visiting the park for a hike or two. The ever popular Bear Lake loop and perhaps spur up a trail that starts at Bear Lake.