PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Mill Trail?

Shamrock
May 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm going to be in the area of the Crystal Mill near Marble, Colorado this coming week. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has info on what condition the trail is in, at the moment. I hear there wasn't much snow in the area this year. What do you think? Would the trail be runnable yet? Also, I'm wondering about the trail difficulty - whether an 02 Wrangler with 31" tires would have a decent chance on this trail. The other Jeep on the run would be my JK, which is a bit more capable. Thanks!

-Shamrock..

Brad
May 17th, 2012, 10:19 AM
It is mostly in a gulch so I would think it would be passable. It is on my to do list.

Heather
May 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
You're going during the week?? :frown: Have to see you on a run some time! It's only been...more than 20 years ( :eek: ) ...regardless, hope you have a blast! And hope you post pix after!

Chris
May 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Search for the trail by name - Scholfield Pass or Devil's Punch Bowl to have better luck finding info. I love that area but don't have any current condition info. Ignore the comments about it being a death-defying trail. The deaths that happened were due to inexperience and ignorance.

cfr
May 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Call the jeep tour place and ask,

CRYSTAL RIVER JEEP TOURS (http://www.smithfamilycolorado.com/CRJT/)

Their site says closed. Call anyway and ask.

Shamrock
May 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I'm looking forward to the time off, and exploring a new place for our family. I saw a friend who has done this trail, tonight. He thought I should be able to get up to the mill without trouble, but going all the way over the pass could be a different matter. Either way, Charles, I'll take your suggestion and call that outfit. I'm curious... Besides, I need to find out what the fish are biting.

Hey Heather, yes we need to get out on a run soon. It's been a crazy 20 years (or more.) Wait 'till you hear! In the meantime, I'll take pics, and write a trip report, assuming that the Crystal Mill adventure works out. :-)

-Dirk

Chris
May 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I saw a friend who has done this trail, tonight. He thought I should be able to get up to the mill without trouble, but going all the way over the pass could be a different matter.

Right, that's Scholfield Pass you take over the pass. Coming to the pass is pretty much a paved road that 2WD can handle. It's worth seeing, I believe it's still ranked as the most photographed structure in the state.

Heather
May 17th, 2012, 09:02 PM
It's been a crazy 20 years (or more.) Wait 'till you hear!
Oh yeah! Can't wait to compare notes! :D And looking forward to your run report!

cfr
May 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM
If you do this, make sure you do Lead King Basin. Fantastic views, waterfalls, etc. Do it as a loop starting or ending in Marble or start in Marble do Lead King Basin, back to Crystal Mill and over Schofield Pass to Crested Butte.

Shamrock
May 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the tips! We are definitely going to try this one, and Lead Kind Basin sounds great. I think scenic will be the theme for this week. We will take lots of pictures, and report back.

Shamrock
July 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM
A very belated report on this one... It was a pretty easy run to the mill, though there was a huge snow drift which prevented passage through Lead King Basin. Perhaps we will make it in the Fall. It's beautiful up there, and there are some interesting wrecked vehicles abandoned in the gulleys...

Brody
July 17th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Don't think I have ever been in that area in the summer months. Here are some shots of what I have done when I am down there: Marble Falls and Redstone Ice Pillar, a couple of fun, short and moderate ice climbs. We usually hit these on the way down to Ouray for the harder stuff.

Definitely a scenic area. Thanks for the input on Crystal Mill!