PDA

View Full Version : Jeep guys gals

KnuckleHead
May 17th, 2012, 11:34 PM
So with the wife looking for a Jeep what should we be on the look out for? She is thinking maybe not a Wrangler or the like but a Cherokee. I know they are unibody but this wont get wheeled that much, more for street driving. Any motors to look away from one better than the other years.... etc?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Brody
May 18th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Unless you get into the newer or the 70 Jeeps, the engine you will be looking at is pretty much going to be the 4.0L or 258 inline 6. This engine, like the Chevy 350 and a couple of others, was one of the better ones out there. Jeep stopped making it awhile back, much to the dismay of Jeep folks. If you are going for a Cherokee, there were very minor changes in the years that they made them and these were usually cosmetic. You own a Cherokee, you aren't going to be hurting for cheap parts as the junkyards are full of them.

Good bang for the buck for the most part. You can get well maintained late model Grand Cherokees for well under $5k that have been grocery getters their whole lives. Standard Cherokees are a lot less.

xaza
May 18th, 2012, 04:17 AM
In my opinion the best motor that Jeep put together was the 5.9L used in 98 Grand Cherokees only. The inline six 4.0 is an incredibly reliable motor. The 5.2L is the older V8 used through 98. In 99 they started using the 4.7L. Have heard issues with this motor, but is what my wife just got. The body of the grand cherokees from 99 up is a little larger for cargo and family.

94ToyBear
May 18th, 2012, 08:30 AM
pssssss ! my 89 wrangler with a 99 4.0l swap is for sale

mattzj98
May 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I bought my 98 for under 6k and it was 1 owner.. still with dealer tags in hand.. never had an issue.. the previous jeep had an inline 6, incredible tq for a small motor.. never had an issue. I've ran Inline6 4.0, 4.7 stroker, a 5.2 which is what my jeep came with, and now has a stroked 5.9.. pretty much every motor covered.. they were all great. If you find a 5.9 grand, make sure the tranny is good, those are weak on the niners..

As far as cherokees go, as long as you get the 4.0, they are incredibly easy and cheap to work on, make great wheelers and grocery getters.. I just don't like how narrow they are.. I like shoulder room. There's a cherokee on CL for sale for under 2k, I've looked at it and it was mechanically sound, just not perfect body. Had low miles. If I find the phone number, and u want it, ill give it to you so u can check it out!