May 21st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Wow, sorry to see this happen! :frown:

What happened?

Heather
May 22nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
OH NO!! So sorry!! What happened, Alec?? :frown:

Jim
May 22nd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Oh, bummer. Good to see it wasn't a total burndown. Wiring issue cause it?

Anything I can do to help?

EDIT: Just saw the post in the build thread. You think a power steering hose blew, fluid ignited on the hot motor / exhaust?

Brody
May 22nd, 2012, 03:44 AM
Sorry to see this!

glacierpaul
May 22nd, 2012, 05:06 AM
Crazy! That is some real carnage! That sucks man, hope you get it fixed easily enough!!

mattzj98
May 22nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Damn dude, did you put it out yourself ? Any idea what happened? Sorry to see / hear!

Hypoid
May 22nd, 2012, 06:02 AM
Bummer! That is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears turned to dust.

Java
May 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
omg... so sorry that happenned to you! Hope insurance covers it. that's a real shame, it's a great Jeep.

Brody
May 22nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
You might consider buying it back from the insurance company if they total it. In the case of a 'total', it may be better to simply settle for a lesser amount (totaled value deducted from the settlement) than actually 'buying' it back-saves paperwork headaches as the title never changes ownership- and redoing the engine compartment plastic, rubber and wiring. A great deal of the stuff can be junkyard sourced, internet sourced, or from a local dealer. Either put the Jeep back together and keep it or sell it and use the proceeds to build something from the ground up.

More of a PITA than anything else with the main time consuming part being the wiring harness. You will either have to source a complete one, chase the wiring back to factory plugs ins that weren't damaged or cut and splice as needed.

I did this on a 74 Cherokee that I had rebuilt back in 79 or 80. Had an engine burp when I was working on it in the garage, the engine caught fire and smoked everything under the hood. Biggest PITA were the burns I got sticking my hands into the flames to clip wires that had shorted out and kept my electric fuel pump dumping fuel into the engine bay.A neighbor had seen the flames (I had pushed the rig into the alley to protect the garage) and called the fire department and paramedics. They showed up amidst all the drama and wanted to take me to the hospital for "shock" and "burns". I told them that I hadn't called them, had been in shock before, had burned myself before, and could certainly deal with all the aforementioned without their help and the subsequent hospital bills. It got a bit rude as they started trying to grab me and stick me in the ambulance. It became a question of who actually was going to need the emergency services. They decided they they didn't and left.

They later tried to take me to court for a bill for services that I neither wanted nor used and lost.

Glad no one was hurt.

gm4x4lover
May 22nd, 2012, 07:08 AM
Time for a lsx swap. Bummer tho, glad no one was hurt.

Michael4rnr
May 22nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Bummer that's stinks. Glad it didn't burndown.

LostFedExMan
May 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Wow man, I am sorry that is brutal... I hope you can find a way to make everything work out

4Runninfun
May 22nd, 2012, 08:22 AM
Sorry to see this! Glad it didn't take you with it!

migli
May 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
...ya not good sorry about that man

Jackie
May 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Ouch. So sorry this happened. What exactly happened??? I didn't see the story in this thread?

WDoG
May 22nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Looks like its been a bad week for people. Winch gone. Engine gone. Hope you get it all figured out man.

Brody
May 23rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
Ouch. So sorry this happened. What exactly happened??? I didn't see the story in this thread?

From what I gathered, one of the power steering lines broke (probably the high pressure line as that would spray the most fluid), fluid got onto something hot (exhaust?) and it caught fire. Just got worse from that...Lots of flammable stuff under the hood...And by the time you see smoke, you have some major issues going on..

Jackie-climbing shoes went on the ride up the hill to Paul's yesterday. Jessee (Newb Tourist) was down for some work on his 4Runner and took them back up Idaho Springs with him. He and Paul are going to hook up. Thanks again!