PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes in the workplace

Coonburger
May 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
My brother just graduated from Lincoln Tech for auto. He was sent for a drug test for employment with firestone. The drug test company called my brother and told him since he has diabetes he needs a letter from a doctor saying that he has had no issues with blood sugar levels for a year. The issue is my brother has been through some hard times and just recently started seeing a doctor again 2 months ago. Hes been still getting his insulin and keeping everything in check but there is no way to get a doctor to sign off for a year of blood sugar levels. Now this seems like down right discrimination towards individuals with diabetes. I know some jobs such as fire fighters and etc. cant have diabetes but this is a mechanic job just seems odd to me. any thoughts on this or someone who knows someone i could talk to about this i think blatant discrimination.

Chris
May 24th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Check out the ADA? American's with disabilities or something like that to see if this falls into the protection of the law. Diabetes has lots of associated issues that would be the concern rather than just simple high glucose which in itself is easily controlled as you know. I've had some glucose issues myself and know just enough to be dangerous rather than helpful.

glacierpaul
May 28th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission handles these, but Colorado is an 'at will' state, no contract, no luck, unless there is a discrim qualifying event. Tom Martino's 'Troubleshooter' website will have employment lawyers listed too, a 10 min phone call to one of these guy's would be invaluable.

That absolutely sucks BTW!!!!