PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for a trailer..

Gossamer
May 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Im moving and i have a 4x8 flatbed trailer that i plan on using but the trailer wiring is not working. I bought a magnet trailer kit and ran it straight to the pig tail on the jeep but no lights...Im sure the problem is in the jeep. All my lights and turn signals work fine so im thinking its right there at the pigtail...I dont know crap about electrical wiring so I need some help. Anyone interested in meeting me at my dads house in Northglenn to troubleshoot this? Im starting the move on Thursday.

Brad
May 22nd, 2012, 03:38 PM
If I lived anywhere near I would love to. Unfortunately I do not. Grab a multimeter and check voltage at the jeep harness plug in. Make sure you are getting voltage to the pigtail.

Gossamer
May 22nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Call me stupid but I have no idea what you're talking about brad :( that's why I'm asking for help

Rick
May 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
are all your pins clean at the plug on your Jeep?????

Gossamer
May 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Yes Rick i cleaned those bad boys as good as they can get...

Rick
May 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Im sure you have but did you try the lights on a different vehicle????just tryin to help by throwin out the obvious which is more times than not over looked

Gossamer
May 22nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
yeah tried on my dads and was fine

Jim
May 22nd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Stop up to my place, trailer or not*, and I should be able to get it sorted out.

*specifically if the trailer lights work via a different vehicle and are known good.

xaza
May 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
The trailer wiring on a cherokee requires a convertor box because the turn signals and brake signals are in separate wires. These commonly go bad but only cost about $18 at Uhaul. A new one can be wired in a matter of minutes. The other most common issue is a bad ground. The white wire, goes to the prong that is different, is the ground. If using a test light you are able to get all your signals at the plug, it is the ground. This can be repaired by 1) repairing ground 2) splicing in a new wire from frame to plug. The wires on plug are green, yellow, brown and white. yellow - left turn/brake, green - right turn/brake, brown - tail lights. Be sure to ground light to vehicle not plug. Without a doubt a test light is better than a meter on this but either will work.

Gossamer
May 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Stop up to my place
Ft Collins? That's a tad bit far to go. :)...... I'm off of work all week so I can go to someones house in the metro area minus the trailer. Thanks friends

Brad
May 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Just so happens I will be available tomorrow afternoon after 3 if you want to come by.

Gossamer
May 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks Brad it kind of sucks to pick and choose but tomm if it dont rain like they are sayin its supposed to ,my son has a baseball game..Im the coach and it starts at 5 so that would be cutting it real close...appreciate the offer very much

RidgeRunner
May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
The trailer wiring on a cherokee requires a convertor box because the turn signals and brake signals are in separate wires.

x2 on this. The box is probably behind your drivers side tail light. Find the box and check for electrical signal going into and coming out of the box. Also, like xaza said, check the ground to the box, that will completely kill the operation of the converter.

Native ZJ
May 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
your cousin just told me you where having trouble with the lights if i can be any help let me know. i have wired a couple trailers, just finished rewiring the used camper i bought a couple months back but never the jeep end.