PDA

View Full Version : Home ownership woes

Cr33p3r
June 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Well after having our hiome for just over two years now and problems with the sewer line from the house to the street we encountered another back up again. After the back up last year and getting to quotes to replace the line for a cost between $5k & $7k, I spent the last two days digging out roughly a 20 foot long by 16 inch wide by 3 foot deep trench to repair the line myself and made the necessary repairs which in turn saved my about $4900 to $6900 depending on which quote you go by, and that was just for materials.

It was by far not an easy repair as the original line was concrete pipe that the local home depot did not have any fittings to go from that pipe to ABS pipe, but I was creative enough to make something work, and also encased both the connections in fast setting concrete to ensure that no more tree roots get into the line. The roots was the whole cause of the problems, I removed a full blockage about 6" in length that allowed only a 1/2" of water to flow at the the top of the pipe and another set of roots 3 feet long. It also did not help that on 3' section of concrete p[ipe was cracked the entire length on the bottom allowing roots to enter the pipe.

Well after fixing this we discovered the is another blockage somewhere between the clean outs and the street, hoping it is outside the property line so the city has to make the repair at no cost to me. Anyhow here is pics of the whole thing, you can see where the roots entered each joint and the blockage.

BLOODBANE
June 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
One reason I'm really lucky to have access to a backhoe (I can run the thing too). When I lived in Gunnison it was too far away, so I understand your dilemma now. I told Val with this new house any trees/shrubs/rose bushes/basically anything that grows around any kind of pipes are gone. Good luck on your hope for it having to be a city job. If your luck is like mine, you better get your shovel out again.

Hypoid
June 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
That looks like it went fairly smooth. Last summer, my landlord had to replace his water line. He called out the utility locater, rented a little back hoe, and cut his natural gas line. After taking two or three days to get that far, he called a contractor.

Patrolman
June 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
The rule in Englewood is that I am responsible all the lines to the middle of the road. I think most cities are like that.

Funrover
June 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Dude that sucks!

Brad
June 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry Sean. That really sucks!

dannanw
June 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I work for my dad (and part owner) doing the same thing... Sucks don't it. Good luck with it.

Heather
June 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
That sucks - but so cool you were able to do it yourself and save thousands! I had a friend that went through something very similar (Arvada) and she had to pay $8K to have her driveway annihilated and the pipes fixed. I can think of so many better things to do with that kind of dough...!

Cr33p3r
June 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I think for me the worst part is I have not done this type of work in almost 12 years and could not remember where the key for the shovel goes to start it. Its a pain literally, manual labor sucks after sitting in a power plant for 12 years.

glacierpaul
June 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
I think for me the worst part is I have not done this type of work in almost 12 years and could not remember where the key for the shovel goes to start it. Its a pain literally, manual labor sucks after sitting in a power plant for 12 years. 'key for the shovel':lmao::lmao::lmao:

Glad to hear you got most of it whooped. You will be responsible for the service line to the main in the street, and depending on the city, you may have to use an approved contractor to do the repair for that section, and have subsequent inspections. After 23 years of manual labor as a master plumber, my back hurt just looking at the pic's:).

Java
June 4th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Too bad, and good job on the repair. I like the new cleanout too! Your lucky (in a way) that it's only 3' down, I'm still fixing my landscaping and sending Visa my $$ for my repair last month. I'm sure you don't feel lucky...

Brody
June 4th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Good job on this Sean! Nothing like getting your license renewed for the shovel! I seem to get behind one of those at least 3-4 times a year....

glacierpaul
June 4th, 2012, 06:44 AM
'You gonna use that shovel, or just hold the ground down with it?':lmao: Edit: plumbing humor

Cr33p3r
June 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks guys!

'You gonna use that shovel, or just hold the ground down with it?':lmao: Edit: plumbing humor

As a government employee I think I just hold the ground down with it for a while after this!:lmao:

mattzj98
June 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Glad you got it all figured out!