PDA

View Full Version : When is it done?

Chris
June 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I know that everyone always says that owning and building a 4x4 is never done. Everyone seems to find "just one more mod" and their truck will be done. Then another, and another, and...

That was the case with my old truck but I dare say not with my new truck. I consider my old truck a learning experience and ultimately did a lot to it that I won't to the 4Runner. No regrets on the old one but despite what everybody will say - my 4Runner is done. It won't do everything my FJ62 would but I'm in the "been there, done that" mode and am happy to limit myself to what it can do which so far is 95% what my old one could.

I'm sure a few people will remind me (Rob!) that I wasn't going to change it from the way I bought it with a 3" lift and everything else stock. I said I didn't need a winch and that the spare was fine under the truck. Yes, I proved myself wrong on that and wheeling alone (yes, I know it's a bad idea) convinced Barb we should have a winch. So I did add a winch, front & rear bumpers, sliders and a bit of armor. Quite a bit now that I read it myself but I really am done.

Anyone else consider their truck done?

How many times has it been "done" and you added "one more mod?"

WDoG
June 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Rodeo is far from done. I guess I could say that it has just begun. There's a list of stuff I want to do. Sliders, Winch, high-lift, roof rack...etc.

If you could have one more mod on the 4 runner what would it be?

Rick
June 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM
mine was a gift and was done when I got it....the only money I will put into it is repairs..... Hoping to get something a little smaller next time and then all bets are off.

Java
June 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I'm done, hopefully. In order I did armor, traction aids, lift, tires. My last Jeep was a never ending project, I'm trying to restrain myself this time. I kept running into guys in stock-ish vehicles on trails, now I am one. :thumb: It's nice to wheel more than I wrench. I'm trying to get spare parts together now, I think a trip to pull and pay is in my near future.

scout man
June 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Mine is done.... untill tomorrow!

I still have a long list to go on it, but am happy enough at the moment that none of it is urgent. I will be done with it the day I am too old to work on it (which is obviously a long time) or the day it rolls down a hill and is unsalvagable. Even when the Mod list is done, and I am happy with it, I suspect I will still change things and continue to mod just because I like to stay busy and have projects.

Tom
June 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Mines done. Oh wait. UPS is coming shortly...

Chris
June 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM
If you could have one more mod on the 4 runner what would it be?

A rear locker but it's not going to happen unless I find one in my garage. I've looked and looked but no luck...

Squshiee1
June 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM
im done with mine! no more to do.... okay maybe there a 1 or 2 more things that need to be done!

WDoG
June 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Chase we still gave to put our Aussie lockers in the dana 44's together.

Squshiee1
June 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM
i keed i keed! i still have an SAS to do and a SOA.

but for now, lockers, bumpers, and all of that jazz!

4Runninfun
June 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM
the problem with being complete is my truck is my hobby, and I like to tinker with it. Instead of watching TV I'll go out to the garage and work on my truck. So in that sense my truck will never be done. However, most of the major mods are done. There are a few more I'd like to do, like longfields and a front locker. But I'm in no rush to get that done. My truck's capability is great for how I like to use it. Mostly I just want to drive and wheel, while doing minor upgrades here and there.

Brody
June 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have considered my truck 'done' for the last number of years. It is pretty much down to maintenance issues, and when any rig gets to that point, I think you can safely saw that it is actually 'done'. Anything else I end up doing to it is pretty much unnecessary and doesn't (and won't ) affect how it does off road or on road...

Chris
June 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Mostly I just want to drive and wheel

That's what I was expecting to hear sooner or later, that's my plan which I enjoy most. :thumb:

Michael4rnr
June 12th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Mines not dane yet. I plan to do what chris did bumpers lift and winch and armor.

Fordguy77
June 12th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Sadly, when you wend up with way too many rigs like me, there never done. Even when they are running and functional, theres still more to be done. As has been said, i consider them my hobby, and enjoy messing with them.

Brody
June 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Chris...I was going to say that you didn't count cause you had so many of them!

scout man
June 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM
yea, as much as I would love my rig to just be at the point of needing maintenance, I think I would be bored if that ever actually happened.

Rob
June 12th, 2012, 08:36 PM
The FJC is done, other than maintenance and potential replacements as things break or wear out.

The FJ40, on the other hand, is far from done, though I've wheeled it hard and a lot since it got it's last mod. However, getting to "done" requires A) a real plan for what I want it to be, and B) the budget to execute the plan. That means I'll likely be wheeling it as is for a while. So next time we're on a trail and you hear me say, "If I just had 33's and a rear locker," give me a dope slap.

mattzj98
June 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
i feel like im about 50% there.. but then think ahead and nope, not even close :(

Jackie
June 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Hmmm... I'd like to replace the rear bumper and all the fender flares. And the side steps need to be dealt with because of the rust. (Not quite sure what I want to do with them, but I need to pull them before the rust eats the body). But I don't think I really want to do anything like a lift or bigger tires. I like what I do and am happy with what I have.

curt86iroc
June 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
new rear locker and sliders are the next 2 big items. after that, just little stuff... my truck is my hobby so it will never be truly done :)

Pathrat
June 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Interesting reading here. Like Chris and Barb, I am prone to solo wheeling and as such, I do need a winch. Then, I need to learn how to properly use it by doing. Yes, I have been shown and have watched, but being in your own rig and getting the hands on feel of things is what I need. I have lights to put in when I get the winch. I am not into hardcore wheeling and like Jon, I want to drive and see what is out there. No additional lift, no bigger tires. Besides, my other cars are needing more attention, like a new set of tires, etc.

and, after thinking about it, when the Pig of Doom becomes a dedicated trail rig, I really want to have better gearing.

KnuckleHead
June 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I would say I'm about 60% there. Still need a locker for the rear at least and want to do a roll cage, nothing big but enough to save my butt just in case. I'm sure here soon I will be needing to rebuild the motor as it might be tired out.......

scout man
June 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I would say I'm about 60% there. Still need a locker for the rear at least and want to do a roll cage, nothing big but enough to save my butt just in case. I'm sure here soon I will be needing to rebuild the motor as it might be tired out.......
I have been dreading that for 3 years now. I know it will happen some time. Last week I suddenly had a nasty knock in the engine, and I thought the time had come. Fortunately a good oil change and a can of seafoam seems to have cleared that up... for now.

Rob
June 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Addendum: The 40 will be done when :princess: says it's done. :rolleyes:

Hypoid
June 12th, 2012, 11:40 PM
When it belongs to someone else, I am done with it. :)

96blkbeauty
June 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
^^^x2 Mike

My Bronco was my only project vehicle before I bought my Ranger. I bought the Ranger with the intent of keeping it stock. Well...the Bronco has gotten no attention in the past 2.5 years since i've owned the Ranger. Now I have two projects....

I'm not exaggerating when I say I think about the possibilities of both my rigs at least 10 times a day...both while on and off different forums. I have never ending ideas that I want to do...and typically don't get done with one until I'm onto the next one and want to do it instead. I'm bipolar when it comes to vehicles. First I want to keep my Ranger just the way it is...and dump money into the Bronco. Then I think about selling the Bronco and lifting the Ranger higher...with gears, armor, and bigger tires. Then I think about how clean the Ranger is and how I shouldn't wheel it...and how badass the Bronco could be with a little $ and time. Then I think about selling the Ranger, building the Bronco, and buying a Mustang...or a Mazdaspeed 3 for a DD. Then I want to sell both and buy a diesel or Yota Tacoma 4 door or 4 door F150. Its MADNESS!!!!!! LOL

My solution? I bust my ass at work so I can have it all one day. I'm going to need space to park all my projects. Its a good thing I don't make enough money to support all my thoughts...or i'd truly go insane with the number of projects I picked up.

But...as far as my plans as of now for both rigs?

Ranger....at the moment i'm pretty happy with where it is. I'd like to put a 4 inch suspension lift on it...but they are like 2k...so that probably won't happen unless I find a used one for cheap. Other then that, a CB and some exterior lights and it will be set.

Bronco...man oh man....where to start. Oh thats right...maintenance. It needs upper and lower ball joints, drag link and water pump replacement. There is also a weird snapping sound coming from the rear when going over bumps that I cannot locate. After that...i'd like to do a 6" lift with Deavers and extended arms. Then of course 35's, and i'd have to re-gear to 4.56's. Then lock the front and rear. Front and rear bumpers with recovery points and winch mounts. Sliders. And a soft top. That would make me a happy man. About the time I finish all this up and pay for it all...the tranny will blow and i'll have to spend 2k to repair it.

Cr33p3r
June 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Mine is done unless someone gives me lockers for Christmas!

glacierpaul
June 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Have to get the wife a Commander again before more mods to the Rubicon. And there is the 'maintenance' issues with the Ford, the J-20's and the YJ :rolleyes:

ColoJeeper
June 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I bought my Rubicon so that I had a "turn-key" wheeler that I didn't have to do anything to. Since then I have lifted it, added bumpers front and rear with a winch. Added wheels and larger tires and added rocker protection. I am looking at taking the tupperware fenders off and replacing so that I can fit 37's under it. Of course that will have to include gears and sleeving/gusseting the front axle as well. Other than that....I think I'm done for a while.

YJ is really close to complete, as I don't anticipate ever going to larger tires or doing anything hardcore on it. At this time, the only upgrades will be when I break something.

CJ is ready to get sold/parted out, just haven't had the ambition to start that yet.

Robert B
June 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM
my truck will be done 26 and one half days after all of time has ended.... :D

Brad
June 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM
See my build thread. That is pretty close to my final list. Might toss in a rear locker for good measure.

glacierpaul
June 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM
After running Wheeler, the Rubicon needs a lift and better skids, maybe 38's too. I have been thinking of some kind of valve stem protection too :rolleyes:

Popsgarage
June 14th, 2012, 11:15 PM
The replacement engine is almost done, but there is still a crapload of stuff to do. So much I won't even start a list.

Bunyon & Babe
June 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Our 4Runner will be done when we get the spare off the roof , winch mounted , stinger , front locker and double T case to get the gearing down . Sure could have used lower gears on Wheeler on Wednesday . I watched Pete walk right up the first V with just low gears . He wasn't even locked up . Rick and Paul walked right up too ! I was using WAY too much clutch trying. The only way I could have possibly gotten up would have been with a bunch of speed . That almost guarantees breaking stuff I think. So we want the double T case set up so we can CRAWL up !!!

WDoG
June 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Our 4Runner will be done when we get the spare off the roof , winch mounted , stinger , front locker and double T case to get the gearing down . Sure could have used lower gears on Wheeler on Wednesday . I watched Pete walk right up the first V with just low gears . He wasn't even locked up . Rick and Paul walked right up too ! I was using WAY too much clutch trying. The only way I could have possibly gotten up would have been with a bunch of speed . That almost guarantees breaking stuff I think. So we want the double T case set up so we can CRAWL up !!!

I think Wayne took the bunch of speed approach. I have a picture of his wheel in the air with you scrambling to get out of the way haha.

4Runninfun
June 15th, 2012, 11:23 AM

If I remember correctly you are running 35's, as was I many years ago. While I was on 35's I had stock gearing and I got by alright. Made obstacles hard because you are always negotiating the clutch. Now I'm on 33's, when I re-geared I decided to still go with the 5.29's (instead of the recommended 4.88's) I'm so glad that I did, and what a world of difference! There is a lot of discussion on what mod to do first, but after doing gears, in my mind that should be almost at the top. (sliders are still top of the list). My suggestion live with the tire on the roof and do gears and if you can a rear locker. You will feel completely different about your truck's capability!

Brian
June 16th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Once I made up my mind to pass on the 1 ton/full width approach, I’m down to about 4-5 mods away of being done. After that I think it will just be ‘nit-noid’ stuff and maintenance. And it’s only taken me 20 years of ownership to get it there! :lmao:

scout man
June 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Once I made up my mind to pass on the 1 ton/full width approach,

I just recently made this decision too. I have a rear axle and wheels sitting in the garage, but I have decided not to run them. For now at least. I am not yet past the point of no return on this decision.

Brian
June 17th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I just recently made this decision too. I have a rear axle and wheels sitting in the garage, but I have decided not to run them. For now at least. I am not yet past the point of no return on this decision.

Yeah, I just always got pulled in a different direction when it came time to actually drop the money. The cost of a 60/14 could get a lot of other things done, and to be honest the type of wheeling I prefer didn’t justify the expenditure. So I chose to commit to my set up, rather than the non-stop second guessing on the 1-ton running gear. Don’t get me wrong; the bullet proof advantage is awesome, but I can still have fun with my Scout width 44/60.

glacierpaul
June 17th, 2012, 05:26 AM
The only way I could have possibly gotten up would have been with a bunch of speed . That almost guarantees breaking stuff I think.
and possibly flopping or rolling the vehicle in certain scenarios!

Patrolman
June 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I have had my 87 4Runner for almost 9 years. It was a big project when I bought it. I can say that I haven't done anything to it in about 4 or 5 years, really because of time. I have about 5 more things on the to-do list, and that is it. The 4Runner performs very well as it is, these are just a bit of "insurance" in my mind. They have been there since the start, but I just haven't had the time. Marlin dual cases, 2nd fuel tank, sliders, different rear bumper, and full floating axle. The only stuff I need to buy is the steel for the sliders and bumper. Just not enough time to make the mods I have lined up for it.

Bunyon & Babe
June 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty pleased with how it does now most of the time . Its got a locker in the rear , and a solid axle swap up front but with 4:88s on 37s its a little hard to "ease" up onto stuff. I am really looking foreward to double cases someday !

Brody
June 19th, 2012, 12:15 PM
You would like the lower gears 99% or the time. It saves a huge amount of drivetrain wear and tear. The only time that you won't like them is when you are "creeping" down an obstacle, get a wheel in the air nail the gas, to drop the wheel back down, and find that you are still going 3 mph, only the engine is making more noise. What LaDawn did on Wheeler when she flopped the rig. Same spot that I have seen other people tag the gas a little and NOT flop....Also going down a steep sandy or loose hillside in low (low) gear. Your wheels are turning so slowly that they are sliding and sometimes cause the back end to want to track around to the front. Like anything else, it takes a little getting used to. I love mine...

You can also find these on craigslist used as they get changed out when people go to an InchWorm or more high buck set up. I got my 'doubler' used from Slee's storage room and did the re gear myself.