PDA

View Full Version : Miners Gulch - Subaru Recovery

Java
June 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I was looking for videos of the area we're doing this weekend and found this, it is simply awesome. :thumb:

The video description from youtube:

The driver of the Subaru was racing his car on Forest Service Roads outside of Blackhawk/Alice. He turned down a steep section of road and the trail became much more difficult. The first picture in the video shows what he went down. A few hundred feet up the trail he had hit a rock with his oil pan and punctured it. He then went around a rocky section via bypass and nose dived into a rock (visible in the fourth picture, middle left). At that point he abandoned his vehicle. Over the next 2-3 weeks his stereo and racing seats were stolen.

Members of Colorado4x4.org and CTP (Colorado Trail Patrol) caught wind of this idiots actions and captured evidence of his actions, reported it to the local ranger district & sheriff, and recovered the vehicle.

It was recovered downward instead of upward because the exit (going down) was only 1-2 miles long, as opposed to the ~12 miles on the drive in.

The spilled oil was cleaned up, trash/car debris removed, and the illegal bypasses blocked off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIPNugeDwZo

scout man
June 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM
haha, "off road subaru." I guess he learned now what "off road" really means. As much as idiots like him piss me off, its nice to think that he probably learned his lesson after this ordeal, and will stop flying down the forest service roads.

Brad
June 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Is it ok if we drive over it like a obstacle? Fair game right?:D

Metalhed
June 14th, 2012, 04:16 PM
there was a big write up on colorado4x4 on this last year.

Java
June 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have a Forester and I'd never take it on trails. There are no skids worth speaking of, and it's just not that kind of vehicle. It is a monster on snowy roads, and last weekend I had it on Drew Hill Road, the dirt road that connects Golden Gate Canyon State Park and White Ranch / Crawford gulch rd, it's a long steep twisty oiled dirt uphill that is very slippery. The Subaru ate it up, I had it screaming in second gear and couldn't get it to lose traction. In it's element it's awesome, but Miners Gulch isn't it's element. Clearly.

SCRubicon
June 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Is that a park bench bolted to the trunk lid? How civic minded...:lmao:

Cr33p3r
June 17th, 2012, 09:02 AM
What a dumbass, he is clueless as all get out! Certainly cannot follow simply directions suppose that is why he ended up trashing a decent car in the first place!

glacierpaul
June 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM
What a dumbass, he is clueless as all get out! Certainly cannot follow simply directions suppose that is why he ended up trashing a decent car in the first place! That and his quote 'the clutch will stop both the wheels...' :lmao::lmao::lmao: that sums up where his head is at!

Brody
June 19th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Subbies are tough little cars, but even the BA rally guys don't drive on the rocks like that....There is one near Western Drivetrain (a newish wagon) at some shop that looks like it could. That little beast is set up like my rig. Got more chrome on it, though...