PDA

View Full Version : Trails with intersting sights to be seen

mdb919
June 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Im desperatly trying to get my wife interested in coming with me on some trails. Im reletively new to the hobbie, so i dont have alot of trails under my belt. She wont be satisfied in just bouncing around in the woods like me. She says that she wants to go places where she can see cool things. Im trying to get opinions on what trails to take her on. So, what are the trails with the coolest sights to be seen, while staying within about an hour and a half of denver. Shes intersted in ghost towns, awesome mountain views, and things of such nature. If you had to pick one trail to do, what would it be? Your imput is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Chris
June 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Not as close as you want but you'll find everything she likes in Buena Vista. Take her on Tin Cup Pass and she'll love wheeling with you. There's a whole lot more there too so take her for a weekend and before you know it she'll be sold. Worked for my wife!

Java
June 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM
When it's re-opened, West Magnolia and the Champion Mill hike are cool and easy with incredible photo ops, very close to Denver. We're doing Pickle Gulch tommorow if you want to come along (sorry if you already are, I haven't looked at that thread yet tonight), there are old mines and such and you can go to the Central City Cemeteries afterward, those are worth seeing.

Tincup Pass is probably my top choice for scenic wheeling, a little further though. You can stay at the Mt. Princeton hot springs overnight and run Tincup, my wife and I do that every year. Everything you're looking for is right there, including great hiking at Agnes Vaile Falls and the Colorado Trail. There are lots of other mines and such in the area as well, you can do loops of 4wd trails that have all sorts of historic and scenic stuff.

On the way to tincup is Weston Pass, it is a very easy road with great camping and incredible views the whole way. My wife loved that one.

T33a Plane Crash, the reward is the plane crash site, a truly unique photo op.

Kingston Peak is beautiful and close, as is Chinns Lake. Chinns has a cool cabin in the water.

Brad
June 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I know it is not close but in my humble opinion anything around ouray is stunning.

As for close with top of world views there is red cone. I have not done it yet but it is on my list for this year. Twin cone is amazing but not difficult to ascend.

Beefy
June 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I know it is not close but in my humble opinion anything around ouray is stunning.

I couldn't agree more. Amazing.

Metalhed
June 15th, 2012, 08:55 PM
from the top of red cone 12801 feet up

Michael4rnr
June 15th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Another good one is on top if santfe peak out side montezuma just over 13000 feet.

Rick
June 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
gotta say i liked Wheeler Lake

glacierpaul
June 16th, 2012, 05:29 AM
gotta say i liked Wheeler Lake
X2!!! If your a noob, better go with someone who has ran it, I felt good knowing I was running it with Pete!, and Rick and Jim too! I feel comfortable doing Wheeler alone now.

Brody
June 16th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I feel comfortable doing Wheeler alone now.

I have run Wheeler alone quite a few times, especially when I was working in Jefferson and staying in Fairplay. Of course, I had all my 'stay the night if I have to' junk with me, but it was sure a nice way to end the noisy work day and get a bit of peace and quiet. LaDawn and I have run it alone a few times pre FR when we went to "meet" another club/group who were supposedly running the trail and never showed up. We took a spur road that dead ended to have lunch and had issues with the rig starting back up once, but it would have been more of an inconvenience than anything else if it didn't start. I was happy to have the bag of emergency stuff with us which included lightweight sleeping bags, heavy coats, gloves, hats, fire stuff, food, and some pads, among other things. Anyway, enough to spend the night comfortably.

For people who like to get out in winter, it is also a cool X country ski trail or snow shoe trail(as are a lot of 4x trails that get closed in the winter).

WDoG
June 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wheeler really is beautiful. Also, Yankee hill has some good views. It's easier and right outside of central city.

SCRubicon
June 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Red Cone to Radical Hill. Make your way down to the Wild Irishman mine/town site. Pass through Saints John and come out in Montezuma. Great mountain views and some cabins to check out.

Jackie
June 16th, 2012, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=ColoDisco;208491]...anything around ouray is stunning.

QUOTE]

I agree. It's stunning even if you never leave the pavement!

mdb919
June 18th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the imput guys. Sounds like im going to have a busy summer.

Squshiee1
June 19th, 2012, 06:34 AM
x3 on red cone! spectacular views!

This looks a million times better in person! that is a photo that i got while still driving along.