PDA

View Full Version : Steering upgrade for TJ

Jeepfreak
June 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Okay I'm sure there has been something on the forum for this before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I want to replace my stock TR and Drag link and would like to hear everyones opinion and personal experience with TJ steering upgrades. I like the look of Rusty's offroad upgrade but all my searches say its junk and I get the same for ORO. I looked at the Serious Off road kit and it looks good but I would like to get some feed back. I know this wont be the last steering I put on my jeep but I would like it to last for a while since I haven't found that tree that money grows on yet. Thanks in advance for you input!!

Beefy
June 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I have the Currie steering setup and love it!

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1219

RidgeRunner
June 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I like the WJ knuckle swap, you get better/stronger steering and bigger brakes. It can be done for roughly $700 and, IMHO, is the best permanent steering upgrade for the TJ/XJ/ZJ. Yes, it's probably more than the other kits, and it involves welding and fabrication, but it's the last steering you'll ever put on a D30.

Here's a link to my build tread from my XJ for more info: Ridgerunner's WJ knuckle swap build (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?7906-Ridgerunner-s-WJ-knuckle-swap-build)

ccbruin
June 27th, 2012, 05:49 PM
The currie seems to be the most popular, You wouldn't go wrong with it. I had the ORO U-Turn steering on my TJ and I loved it...

Serious Offroad
June 27th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Check out the reviews on my site for the Serious Steering Kits....

Jeepfreak
June 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I think Im going to go with the ZJ tie rod swap for now I don't want to drill or ream out the knuckles on my rubicon just yet. This way I can also keep my old set up for a trail spare.

Kory
June 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure if your drag link is the same as mine but if it is be careful when your tires are bound up because I just recently broke my stock drag link.