PDA

View Full Version : Club Workshop?

Java
June 28th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking of taking welding classes at Club Workshop next month before I burn my house down making molten boogers. They have 3 hour classes- intro to MIG and intro to TIG for $45.00 each, seems like a good deal. The shop looks cool too, just a little pricey, might be better to put the $$ into buying your own tools. IDK. But the classes look good. Anyone have any experience with them?

Classes and Events (http://www.clubworkshop.com/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=month.calendar&month=07&year=2012&Itemid=54)

Brad
June 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I don't but might be interested in joining you!

Java
June 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking July 14, Saturday, at 9:00am. Awesome if you can go! I saw on the site that they are affiliated with Altitude Steel, Pete's buddy, so they can't be all bad... :erm:

Fordguy77
June 28th, 2012, 03:35 PM
The only people i know who have used club shop are Josh(Former Member-Haku) and i believe Bryan(Red Rhino). Josh has said pretty decent things about the place. Idk if he has done any of the classes and such though. But he has done some work on his rig there.
About half way down the page is pics of the stuff he has been doing down there.
ColoradoTrailRats.org - View topic - FJ80 axle install is imminent... (http://www.coloradotrailrats.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=142)
There is also some discussion about this on the FR4x4, or at least there was a few years ago. So you might try searching.

Brad
June 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM
No plans on the 14th.

Java
June 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm registered for the July 14th class, just called the number on that page and gave them my name and number, he told me to wear long pants and long sleeves. Easy! Looking forward to learning how to weld, been wanting to for a while.

Christopher, that link is cool, I like the CNC brackets he made. They have a class for that too, if welding goes well I may take some more. I hadn't seen that website before either, thanks!

Brad
June 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I am signed up as well Paul! :thumb: they are also looking for votes on mission small business for funding. Go to Mission: Small Business℠ (http://www.missionsmallbusiness.com) and enter club workshop and vote!

trailfiend
July 2nd, 2012, 07:17 AM
My dad took his class there, he learned (dunno how well). They've got a hell of a shop, with that plasma CNC, metal lathe, everything you need....

Java
July 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
My dad took his class there, he learned (dunno how well). They've got a hell of a shop, with that plasma CNC, metal lathe, everything you need....

I hope he learned something!! :lmao: did he like the class? that shop is pretty cool, if this class goes well I may take TIG and some of the other ones too.

Meatloaf
July 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
If they have a lathe and mill I'd be up for signing up to use it. I don't really need the classes, but would love to use the tools.

Chris
July 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
That's a good idea Kyle, wonder if they allow that. I took a cabinet making class once just to have access to the shop and built everything for a remodel I was doing on my house.

Brad
July 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
You can join the workshop.

xaza
July 3rd, 2012, 05:33 AM
General Air does welding classes as well. They give you a free class with the purchase of a welder, although sounds like you already have one.

Java
July 3rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
I have a small one but after I have a better idea of what I'm doing I'll look on CL for one. I'll probably post a thread then on what to look for in one. I'm really looking forward to this!

Java
July 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
had welding class this morning, Brad / ColoDisco was there too. It was GREAT. Our instructor, Sherman, was a very cool guy who really knew his stuff and didn't waste any time. We went over safety first, then learned how to shut everything off and where the fire extingushers were. I like that. Then we started with straight beads, learned about heat and penetration and such, then we did butt joints, stich welds, stop-start welds, and welded a vertical piece to a horizontal piece. Our last project was butt welding two sections of square tube to each other and then to a flat plate; it had to be water tight to be correct. Mine leaked a little, but Brad's was perfect. :thumb: Overall it was a fantastic class and some of the best $45.00 I've ever spent.

Java
July 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
some welding pics, and some of the things we made today. I put them front and center on top of the sideboard in my dining room, my wife should be thrilled.

Brad
July 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I had a great time! Feel like I got it down! Sherman was great! I have to thank Paul for posting this up. I never would have sought this out if not told.

scout man
July 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
that blue yota is Josh's (formerly Haku on this site)

Java
July 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
that blue yota is Josh's (formerly Haku on this site)

that thing is going to be sweet!! It looks like he's doing EVERYTHING to it.

Brad
July 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I hung out and talked to Josh and Mitch. I had a few issues with joining.
1. Only 1 lift, if someone is on it you are SOL.
2. Several machines are currently inop including the parts washer which would be a big deal for me.
3. $100 or even less per month all of the machines would have to be in working order. When I need to get a project done I don't want to seek out a alternative when I am paying for the privelage.

scout man
July 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
sounds like 3 very good reasons to me.

Java
July 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
x2, but I would recommend the classes.

I picked up a 90amp Harbor Freight welder for $69.00 a while back and have been looking for reviews and videos. This is the best one I've found so far, it's pretty accurate about what it will do. As I understand it the biggest limitation is penetration with a low amp welder, and the video shows it pretty clearly when he does the 1/2" piece. I'm for sure going to look for something better down the road, but I already have it, no sense not using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaDe5kGJPMM&feature=related