PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice vs. Block Ice

Chris
July 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
As mentioned previously we're heading off on a road trip for a couple weeks and will be freezing food to cook when in the popup. I like blocks which last a long time but we're thinking maybe dry ice would be better. We will have one cooler of the pre-frozen stuff and open it just to pull out the next days dinner and another for frequent use. What's your take/experience with dry vs. block?

TIA!

Brad
July 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
My ice box is colder with frozen water bottles vs block ice. I have not used dry ice but do want to. I have a circulating fan in my icebox to move the air over the frozen water bottles.

Java
July 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
I worked for Jacques Exclusive Caterers in Brooklyn for many years and we always used dry ice when we had to use a rental truck without a refridgerated box, we'd put a chunk right into the box with the food trays. It's cool because you need so much less of it and it doesn't leave a mess. It sucks if you touch it, that's a downside, but otherwise it's better IMO. You can make spooky smoke in your campsite with it too!

Chris
July 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
I may use just for spooky smoke!

Pathrat
July 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Our dry ice lasted almost four days in the Doll House, Canyonlands, a few summers ago. Plus, no floating food. I can see using a combo of h2o bottles and dry or wet ice in your frequent use cooler so things don't freeze when you don't want them to.

Brad
July 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Next question is who sells it in aurora and Golden?

Chris
July 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Albertson's in Aurora sells it.

Hypoid
July 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I have not used dry ice in this century, but I remember it freezing anything it touched. I remember reading the package, it said to put the DI on the bottom for cooling, top for freezing.

My only advice is to buy too much. As it evaporates, it will still maintain temperature with the smaller chunks. Also, keep in mind that the CO2 will displace oxygen in a sealed space, E.g. inside a car or camper.

glacierpaul
July 4th, 2012, 07:33 AM
My motto for ice is, dry for food, wet for drinks. As Mike said top for freezing, bottom for cooling. Been a happy camper since I started using dry ice for extended trips.

Mr6dwg
July 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM
My dad used to use it on the farm in the artificial insemination department. And what Mr. Mike says is right. "Top for freezing and bottom for cooling". And "Don't touch it".