PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Discos and Exhaust Clearance Issues

Java
July 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
My Jeep felt tippy, noticed I had lost a pin from my sway bar discos. I just got these used and repainted them before putting them in, if you look at the pics you can see how much of the paint is scraped off from all the banging and vicegripping I've had to do to get them to work well. Are these a pain in the ass for everyone? so far it's no quicker or easier than unbolting the stock stuff was... :mad:

So I replaced the two top ones with grade 8 bolts w/ lock washers and red loctite, figure I'll just pull the bottoms and fold the whole bar up, and now having 3 means I have a spare pin too, and I'll probably pick up another. Anyone think of any issues with using a bolt there?

The second problem I've been having with the sway bar is keeping it up and out of the way. At Pickle Gulch it dropped hard and loud, so I put some fuel line around some huge cable ties (rated at 175 lbs) and attached them to the fender supports, and I'll bungee the bar to that. Does anyone have anything better?

Last, my exhaust pipe is hitting my hitch frame, it always did a little but now it's evolved to a lot over the last few trails. I helped it out a bit with a BFH on the hanger mount and some cable ties to keep the hanger inplace, a little duck tape where it hits the frame... it seems to me that I can pull the frame and simply grind 1/2" or so off the offending edge without it weakening the hitch???

TIA! :thumb:

xaza
July 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I would chop the end of the exhaust off before the hanger, extend it until the exhaust passes outside the hitch. You could then simply unbolt hanger from hitch and then flip it over so it hooks out instead of in. Is there enough clearance to the tire for it to run a couple inches farther out?

Hypoid
July 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
In reverse order:

3) Check your engine and tranny mounts. I think you will find that the whole drivetrain has shifted.

2) I posted this picture as a spoof to the guy who made those cables for me. :D The cable loop holds the bar and disco up when I want.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/Hypoid/Misc%20stuff/Disconnect.jpg

1) I never had a set like yours, but, yep, they can be a pain to get lined up.

scout man
July 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Be carefull with duct tape so close to your tailpipe, its flamable. It will also melt when on fire and drip fire on the trail.

Java
July 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mike- good idea on the mounts, I just went under it and everything looks pretty square on the tranny and engine mounts. I think the rubber exhaust hangers have stretched just enough to let the tailpipe slip outwards, the cable ties tightened it up but I'll have to replace them. I'm also going to pull the hitch frame and grind down the corner a little. It's aftermarket so I guess these things happen. Good idea on the cables too, I think I'll do something similar... but not exactly that !! lol! I see you only disconnect from the axle end too, that's a good sign for me.

Java
July 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Be carefull with duct tape so close to your tailpipe, its flamable. It will also melt when on fire and drip fire on the trail.

that was part of the trailfix, the inside parts of the tape are already gone- they dried up and flaked off.

Java
July 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I would chop the end of the exhaust off before the hanger, extend it until the exhaust passes outside the hitch. You could then simply unbolt hanger from hitch and then flip it over so it hooks out instead of in. Is there enough clearance to the tire for it to run a couple inches farther out?

I thought about redesigning the exhaust- LJs have a muffler that must be 3' long, so there is a lot of wiggle room, down the road when the (dreamt of) dana 60s and 40s go on it I'll probably do that. I can't see how to extend it without setting it up to get crushed though, I think it might have to end there.

Hypoid
July 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mike- good idea on the mounts, I just went under it and everything looks pretty square on the tranny and engine mounts. You need to load the drive train, in the driveway, with the wheels chocked and the hood up. It's amazing how the mounts can look fine, and let the engine/tranny jump all over the place.