PDA

View Full Version : Dana 60 advice

sunk
July 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Ive had my dana 60 front for almost a year and havent accomplished much. Recently I purchased some parts to start the rebuild. While dissasembling, I encountered several items that I have no experience with and am looking for help identiflying parts that need replacing.

I have no experience with carriers, the gears and bearings look good, but Im not certain.

The axels have some wear and pitting, looks like wear around the area the brearings ride. Do they need replacement?

Im sure Ill have more questions but I figured it was a start.

Robert B
July 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
uhh i would have to feel it but if its rough like sandpaper (finer grit ) then it will probably slowly eat bearings and if its real rough i wouldnt use it ......it seems like that part of the axle isnt touching the bearing alot since the rust started and was worn off at the same time but im not quite sure there.......... i just know the bearing surface does much better when its completely smooth and round just my 2 cents on what i know :)

Rick
July 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
uhh i would have to feel it but if its rough like sandpaper (finer grit ) then it will probably slowly eat bearings and if its real rough i wouldnt use it ......it seems like that part of the axle isnt touching the bearing alot since the rust started and was worn off at the same time but im not quite sure there.......... i just know the bearing surface does much better when its completely smooth and round just my 2 cents on what i know :)Agree totally/ looks like water has been there

Hypoid
July 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM
The axels have some wear and pitting, looks like wear around the area the brearings ride. Do they need replacement?

My experience is with 44s and 30s, but if your front axle has open knuckles, the seals are housed just outside the bearings. That shiny surface on the shaft is where the seal rides. Everything outside of that can, and will rust.

sunk
July 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
My experience is with 44s and 30s, but if your front axle has open knuckles, the seals are housed just outside the bearings. That shiny surface on the shaft is where the seal rides. Everything outside of that can, and will rust.

Seems to be the case, the area the bearings ride seems to be in good shape. The area next to it, is where the seal rides, and it sounds like it may be possible to sand the area and use a new seal...thoughts?

The more I talk about the carrier, it makes sense to remove and replace the bearings, that would also allow me to replace the pinion seal and bearings. How difficult is it to remove the carrier? Would I have to figure out the blacklash when re-installing? I know i dont have the tools to set up the gears, so would it be just the blacklash adjustment afterward?

Rick
July 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Seems to be the case, the area the bearings ride seems to be in good shape. The area next to it, is where the seal rides, and it sounds like it may be possible to sand the area and use a new seal...thoughts?

The more I talk about the carrier, it makes sense to remove and replace the bearings, that would also allow me to replace the pinion seal and bearings. How difficult is it to remove the carrier? Would I have to figure out the blacklash when re-installing? I know i dont have the tools to set up the gears, so would it be just the blacklash adjustment afterward?not hard and yes!

Hypoid
July 11th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Did that side leak oil before? I'd double check everything before taking material off the shaft.

The more I talk about the carrier, it makes sense to remove and replace the bearings, that would also allow me to replace the pinion seal and bearings. How difficult is it to remove the carrier? Would I have to figure out the blacklash when re-installing? I know i dont have the tools to set up the gears, so would it be just the blacklash adjustment afterward?

I'm thinking that if you kept track of the shims, and put them back where you found them, you should be ok. Take that with a grain of salt.

My .02

Popsgarage
July 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
X2 on what Mike said. Mike, does that picture of the shaft bearing surface look like it's been galling????? Away from the carrier side at the edge of where the bearing rides????

Hypoid
July 13th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Mike, does that picture of the shaft bearing surface look like it's been galling????? I guess the proof will be inside the carrier where the shaft slides through.

The bearing mounts on the carrier, and supports it. The shaft slides through the carrier, and slips into the splines of side gear.

I'll have to play around with one of my extra carriers, but I'm pretty sure the polished area is for the seal to seat. The little groove in the center of that area makes me think the seal lip rides there. As a wild guess, I'm going to say that the rough area is clean because the shaft does have some longitudinal play, and has moved in enough to clean off the grime.

Once Adam gets the carrier out, he can take measurements and see how everything lines up.

dcoop
August 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
On the D60 are the carrier shims between the bearings and the carrier or between the housing and bearings? I'm thinking because it's a Dana axle they are between the bearings and carrier. If that's the case then you have to be careful about replacing carrier bearings. Bearings have pretty loose manufacturing tolerances and I can guarantee you backlash will change with new bearings. That means you need the proper bearing puller that can remove the new bearings, without damaging them, to adjust the shims.