PDA

View Full Version : Rotoflex conversion nightmare

Brad
July 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
After 4 hours, 2 drill bits broken, 1 punch broken, several beatings with a small sledge and 3 different chisels, 3 different pry bars, heating with a torch, hammering in anger with lots of expletives... ...here is where the cap covering my flange nut currently sits:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/flipswitch/bbbb861d.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/flipswitch/85c72d4a.jpg

Tomorrow, round 2! If my body can take it. :frown:

Rob
July 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Wow. Hope it goes better tomorrow.

Brad
July 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks Rob! The plan is to turn it into swiss cheese until I can break away enough metal to get a socket on the nut. The old flange is going in the trash so I really don't care about the old parts. Just want them off.

Java
July 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Damn!! Looks like you need a BiggerFH!

glacierpaul
July 15th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks Rob! The plan is to turn it into swiss cheese until I can break away enough metal to get a socket on the nut. The old flange is going in the trash so I really don't care about the old parts. Just want them off.

How about a hole saw just big enough to miss the threads on the flange, one big hole instead of lots of little ones? I love when things fight :rolleyes:

Brad
July 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I thought of that (glacier)Paul but I do not want to risk screwing up the threads on the flange nut and creating another problem.

Well! Off I go! Wish me luck! :D

Hypoid
July 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Are we there yet?

:D

Brad
July 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Are we there yet?

:D

:lmao:

Nope! Drilled, beaten some more, good chance the spline is going to be effed up, currently charging battery so I can go at it some more. This stupid piece of hardware will not beat me.

Hypoid
July 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I might be in your area today. I'd call first if I were to stop by.

Brad
July 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Too late mike, it was hopeless. I now need a 3rd member. Whoever did the write up on Discoweb deserves to be shot. What it should say is get the puller tool and do it the right way not, you figure it out!!

I am Soo pissed right now I am ready to kill something.

Hypoid
July 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Ouch! Even the supposed repair manuals drop the ball. I think the staff at Haynes is on drugs.

I saw a couple LRs like yours at the N Denver U-pull. An inventory search should tell if I'm even close on the year.

Brad
July 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
They have several. I believe any D1 will do! Thanks Mike! I will have to go there tomorrow!

Brad
July 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Found several third members, one with its own propshaft, I am going to grab that one!

Hypoid
July 16th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Check for damage from the forklift. I have yet to find a rear shaft that has not been dinged from the ride through the drain shop.

Brad
July 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
At a glance it looked unharmed but I will Mike! Good lookin out!

Red Rhino
July 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
It was good talking with you at the Clubworkshop the other day.
Make sure you post pics of the right way to do the conversion.
Good luck.

Bryan

upnover
July 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I feel your pain. I am dealing with a open circuit issue on mine. Got Love Land Rover. LOL I do have to say My DII has been pretty good to me. Yes they have issue but who doesn't. LOL