PDA

View Full Version : Chief Mountain Hike / Paranoia

Java
July 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I went for a hike up Chief Mountain this weekend- awesome hike if you've never done it, great for training as it is all uphill at a steady pitch to the summit at 11,709'. We stopped for lunch near the top and found an ammo can stashed in a crevice. I thought it was a geocache and left it alone, but the recent events in the news keep playing in my head and I'm wondering if I should tell someone that it's there. I'm also calling myself a paranoid idiot, and can't believe I'm even thinking this let alone posting it. Thanks alot movie loser. Anyone think it's worth calling the FS or Police over? I Here's some pics of it, the spot it's in. One of the summit view too, why not.

Rick
July 24th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Your not paranoid, Smart!!!!! I would call, who knows whats in that ,and yes probably nothing but who knows!!!

Java
July 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I emaled a link to this page to the forest service via a link I found. Who else can I send it to? If anyone has an idea please just go ahead and send whoever a link, can't hurt and TIA. It's probably nothing.

Java
July 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM
found the idaho springs Police dept online, Police Department - City of Idaho Springs (http://www.idahospringsco.com/police.html) emailed this page to the sgt.'s link. guess that's enough.

Rick
July 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
:thumb: Thats all you can do.... todays world you cannot be to careful

xaza
July 25th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Chief Mountain is a great hike, we did it a few weeks ago. My Rotty wore his pack for the first time and was wiped out for 2 days after. Such great views up there.

glacierpaul
July 25th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Could just be a summit register that someone put there. A call to the Clear Creek County sheriff is the real deal, I.S. will probably send this to them.

Tom
July 25th, 2012, 07:35 AM
It looks just like a geocache to me. I did that for awhile and that's exactly how many of them look though the geocache community prefers them to be marked as such.

I believe its the cache described at
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=38edc3a3-efe1-4a5c-a428-e8ceb1501fae
but you have to be a member to view it. Membership is free. There's a pic of the location and a little girl holding an ammo can.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/8bbea587-6516-49b7-a37c-bd227a2fe2b4.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/fc52bcc0-8fa8-4809-ac02-b87c1390092d.jpg

Java
July 25th, 2012, 08:38 AM
That's it, Tom!! Thank you for finding that! You can see the mark on the can the little girl is holding is also on the one in my pic. Now I kinda want to go back and open it... :lmao:

Mr6dwg
July 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Yes. That is a "Geocache container". I am an avid cacher. Those and tupperware containers are the most used, for hiding the paperwork and trinkets.. I believe they are preferred because of water-tight, big (for trinkets), and does not destruct very easily.

glacierpaul
July 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Good job Tom!

Brad
July 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
GPS? Pffft, just bring Paul and Java! :thumb:

Brody
July 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I am really hesitant to pick up anything like that, including backpacks left in conspicuous places. That said, I was working for the flooring company and had stopped in my favorite park where i knew I had a WiFi signal that I could piggyback. Walked over to my favorite shady spot/table and started doing some work. No one around, middle of the week. There was a pack/drawstring bag sitting under the adjacent table that I was looking at. I worked for three hours or so and saw no one even walking their dog. Curious, I picked up a long tree branch, lay down on the ground, opened my mouth (I am sure it looked weird, but if it exploded laying on the ground like it was, the force would go up and out and most of the crap would sail over the top of me. Opening my mouth would help save my ears. ) and jiggled the sack around until I tipped it over. Nothing went bang and out dropped someone's very potent smoke stash and a pipe...They are probably still wondering where they managed to leave it...

I also have about 8 stashes like what you found in either ammo cans or other containers on top of or near the bottom of (or, in some cases, both) rocks that are a bit remote that I was doing some a lot of rope soloing on. These usually contained some water (usually with a drop or two of bleach), first aid junk, water purification tablets (there were usually solution pockets around that held water but were funky), a tarp and some other emergency stuff that would maybe save my life.

Still, best to err on the safe side and still have your life and all of your digits...

Rick
July 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Still, best to err on the safe side and still have your life and all of your digits...YEP!!!!!just sayin!!!

Max
July 27th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I would have just opened it.