PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary Tale...Tire Carrier Failure

Heather
September 4th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Thought I'd post this up because I know a lot of people have similarly-styled tire carriers. Long story short - my entire tire carrier structure, holding the hi-life and spare, broke off at about 45 miles an hour on Park Avenue - right before I got onto I-25. I am still reeling; still so glad no one was hurt (including myself, trying to drag the stupid thing across two lanes of traffic; what an embarrassing and stupid way to go that would've been). I am sick to my stomach to think what COULD have happened to someone(s) - especially if it would've happened on I-25. As it was, it broke and fell off on the hill right after the stadium, and I watched in horror in my rear-view as it bounced and sparked down the road, toward the traffic behind me. A really nice lady stopped - as she had hit it. She was a nurse, in a very nice dress - and she hopped in my Jeep and helped me lift the carrier/spare into the back. I couldn't have done it without her. She was amazing and I got really lucky in that regard, as well.

The spindle, which as it turns out was only 1" across, sheared clear off. I was shocked to see the diminutive size of the spindle, which was the holding/pivot/torsion point for a LOT of weight with frequent torque (bumps while driving, etc.). One would think the spindle would be considerably larger for such a big job. I'm decently strong (for a chick) and I couldn't even lift the contraption after it fell off - I had to drag it and that was very difficult. I never saw it (until it failed), as it was encased in much larger metal. The way it was designed/enclosed, it looked like the spindle was much thicker.

The one photo is the tire/rack in the back (upside down), after the very nice lady helped me and I was able to pull over by her car again. The other photo is of the lower half of the spindle (please excuse the mud from Saturday's wheeling). It bent the crap out of my hi-lift, too. So entirely bummed.

Please, if you have something like this - check it out, just in case. Mine was only eight months old, and I don't wheel hard or drive far.

Jim
September 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Yowza! Glad it didn't go through someone's windshield.

Thumbs up to the nice lady helping out.

Serious Offroad
September 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Glad no one got hurt.

My spindle broke on the trail at about 5 mph.
I rebuilt it with a D44 hub, stub shaft spindle

Oscar (on co4x4) lost his infront of the Sheriffs Dept in Divide. I added a D44 set-up to his as well.

1k trailerrs spindles are easily work hardened and should be check for cracks on a regular basis.

KnuckleHead
September 4th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I guess I better get out there and check mine.

Glad no one got hurt and that someone stopped to help you

CS79bronco
September 4th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Sure glad no one was injured. Can't say for sure, but that dark area of the spindle in the pic makes me think there was already a crack there. It could have cracked from being welded, or from a big jolt while wheeling, who can say. Possibly the manufacturer could be liable for damage to the nice ladies car as well as replacing the bumper/tire carrier.

Max
September 4th, 2012, 10:49 PM
What brand/model is it?

Hypoid
September 5th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Wow! I'm glad nothing worse came of this.

I remember another post from years ago, the spindle looked much the same. Did yours break just above a weld?

Frank's set up is pretty slick, bulky, but slick. One of my buds copied it when he made his carrier. :thumb:

Brad
September 5th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Really glad no one was hurt. I believe in overkill when it comes to load bearing equipment.

Heather
September 5th, 2012, 07:27 AM
What brand/model is it?

Sadly, it's a local model that I paid a good chunk of change to have someone fabricate - and I have no recourse.

Did yours break just above a weld?

It broke flush with the top of the bumper, where the bottom part of the piece that encases the spindle was welded on next to the bumper? Apparently a better design is to have it actually part of/in the bumper, instead of welded onto the back of the bumper. Not sure if my words make sense in conjunction with the photo.

DHYDR8D
September 5th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Wow!!! Sorry to hear you don't have a spare now.

I have seen every swing style spare holder fail. I built one with a custom turned 2 1/2 inch spindle to hold my 37" irok and the first trip out with it, i dropped down off a ledge and bent and broke the p.o.s.

I will never recommend that terrible design. A drop down style is the best most reliable way to hold a spare to a Jeep. I have a design in my head that incorporates a spring so the weight of the spare is not a concern. No rattles no worries

Also as a side note I would not have a problem looking at trying to temporarily fix your problem. Hit me up if you need some advice on a "fix"

Jim
September 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm still looking at getting my carrier's issues resolved (it's not swinging out) and have been looking at tying the upper portion of the carrier to the body above the tail lights. Doing so would give additional restraint points. Seeing the failure reinforces the thought.

Chris
September 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Sorry to see that Heather, Pete made quite a few of us bumpers that have been trouble free. I'll take a good look at mine for any indications of problems. Please take a photo of the break so we can see t better.

As everyone's said, glad it wasn't worse and that nobody had any damage beyond the failure itself.

carpenle
September 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Wow! I am glad you were not on the hwy.

Backcountryislife
September 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Sadly, it's a local model that I paid a good chunk of change to have someone fabricate - and I have no recourse.

Couldn't you ask him to fix it? Most fabricators I know would take care of any work they did unless it was really blatently abused.

Jackie
September 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thank God no one was hurt. Sorry it happened to you and so glad the lady stopped to help. I can't imagine trying to drag that thing by myself.

GaryG
September 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Glad no one was hurt.

Hypoid
September 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Looking at the picture, I thought there was weld on the spindle itself. Hence, my question about the fracture's proximity to any welding.

All debates aside, LMK if you want help with that...You got points! :thumb:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29200&stc=1&d=1346814135

Heather
September 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Couldn't you ask him to fix it? Most fabricators I know would take care of any work they did unless it was really blatently abused.

Nope, I'm pretty sure he's out of business now, and there are other issues :redface:. Definitely not blatently abused, for sure.

I will never recommend that terrible design. A drop down style is the best most reliable way to hold a spare to a Jeep. I have a design in my head that incorporates a spring so the weight of the spare is not a concern. No rattles no worries

Also as a side note I would not have a problem looking at trying to temporarily fix your problem. Hit me up if you need some advice on a "fix"

We are definitely going with the drop-down, and I will hit you up via PM regarding a temp fix - I really appreciate the offer!

All debates aside, LMK if you want help with that...

Thank you, Mike!! I'll message you!

Thanks for all the sympathy, everyone! I sure hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. I'm going to call the lady later this week to make sure her car is OK, and to thank her again for her much-needed and appreciated help.

This morning, Skyler (who was asleep by the time I got home last night) said: "Cracker's butt fell off!" :lmao:

DHYDR8D
September 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM
We are definitely going with the drop-down, and I will hit you up via PM regarding a temp fix - I really appreciate the offer!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Flyer
September 5th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Wow, glad you are okay, and nobody was hurt. That's a pretty scary situation.

scout man
September 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM
sorry to see that! I managed to break mine with a dana 44 spindle too... granted I was just a dumb ass and left it open while I winched my rig into a hole. :erm:. Glad everyone was ok! This has always been a fear of mine as well.

Java
September 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
wow, I'm glad you're OK!! If that is the spindle from jeeptubes.com you may want to contact them ("them" is one guy) and see if he'll replace it.

Chris
September 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I will never recommend that terrible design. A drop down style is the best most reliable way to hold a spare to a Jeep.

I'm curious about this comment John. Are you talking just about Jeeps or do you think any spare carrier with a spindle like Heather's is a terrible design? I'm not an expert by any stretch but I've been around a while and this is the first spindle failure I've seen. I don't count those folks that drop down a ledge and rip theirs off, nothing will survive that kind of abuse.

To check my own thinking I looked around a bit and as you can see in the photos there are some pretty big names using that style design. Names like ARB, Shrockworks, AEV, Bestop and locally Slee.

Patrolman
September 6th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Personally, I have been meaning to add a chain to mine. It would at least keep it from tumbling down the road. It might still drag behind my rig. Also, the chain would double to keep it from swinging too far (mine currently swings around to smack the side of the 4Runner). Scary story and I am glad everyone is OK.

Coonburger
September 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM
damn heather that sucks glad to see ur okay and everything is good, monsterrob is still around if u wanna pick his brain at all but skinny should be able to help ya out tons ive heard nothing but good things bout him from monster and bill.

Chris
September 6th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Personally, I have been meaning to add a chain to mine.

I had mine swing around on my Cruiser Jeff, gave me a huge dent and taught me a lesson. On my 4Runner I have a safety pin on each side just in case. Truth is I needed them a few times when I forgot to secure my latch and noticed the spare bouncing a bit. There's no doubt that the bouncing would fatigue the steel too.

DHYDR8D
September 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Chris,

My reason of thinking that it is a terrible design stems from one thing...multi-million dollar company's that have the time and money to put into this specific design. I am sure they are not buying trailer spindles. There are many many products out there that will last with alittle maintenance. But lets be serious, most weekend warriors may know how to drive but noticing something that is getting gradually worse and worse is not an easy thing. Swing away tire carriers are great for a limited time. Think about the stress that is applied to your wheel bearings on your axle. Now think about that same wheel bearing with a 24" offset wheel and a small clip trying to hold it straight. Lots and lots of leverage, every small bump moves that thing and after 10,000 miles it is loose but the change has been so slow that most drivers won't ever notice it until it is to late.

This is the first I have heard of a total failure also, but It has to be happening alot judging by the amount of loose tire swings that I see.

It is a great design, hardly any weight to worry about while loading stuff in the back but... If I can make what I think will work just as smooth and have the ability to hang (2) 42" tires off of and a high lift and two jerry cans. It may or may not work but I have seen this type of design that I have envisioned work with similar applications. Yes with a drop down tire "holster" loading is a bit different but I Have gotten so used to mine, it is more like a ramp than an impedance.

Heather
September 7th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Interesting. The one major difference that I see in their design and the one I have (had) is that their spindle actually goes into the bumper - it's not mounted/welded onto the side of the bumper. That seems like a significant geometrical/physical difference, especially when factoring in the constant bumps/bouncing that John's talking about. I like the chain idea!

Patrolman
September 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Chris, mine actually had a pin at one point, but it seems to be long gone. I had thought about putting a new pin back on it, but decided the chain is dual purpose. Keeps the dent off the rig and acts as a restraint if the decides to part ways with the bumper. Only reason I would do that over a pin.

xaza
September 7th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Seems to me that this design could benefit a lot by have a second pivot point. I would guess to say that there is not enough room for another on those Wranglers

Popsgarage
September 12th, 2012, 11:35 AM
A bigger spindle might help as could mounting said spindle in double shear. A drop down would be better but access becomes limited. It kind of becomes a pick your poison kind of debate.

Chris
September 12th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I was talking to a friend today who has seen this kind of failure frequently, like I said I haven't but he runs much harder stuff than I do. It makes sense that the repetitious vibration/jolting will fatigue the steel. I don't think I mentioned that after reading this I pulled mine apart to check it out and grease the bearings. It looks as good as the day it was built so I'll guess this falls into the "sh!t happens" category.

Hey Jon, how about a drop down with steps on the backside! :D

Popsgarage
September 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Now that'd be interesting. I'll have to think on that one as mine's about up and running. It's been a very busy spring and summer.